Translation Questions

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Translation Questions

Post by Krikit »

Okay I've got a question...^_^
愛花は、真っ赤になって怒った。くるくると素直に表情を変化させる愛花とは、おたがいの呼吸もわかりあえていて、くったくなくしゃべれる。きのうのシエラとのストレスてんこ盛りな時間に比べて、陣はずいぶんとくつろいだ気持ちになった。
What I'm getting....O_o (completely unedited, I know it's really off O_o)
In her anger Aika turned deep red. Rotating her face to show an unaffected look, in the same breath she came to an understanding, she chatted without care. Calculating how to fill up his time from the stress of Sierra from yesterday, he was getting into a more relaxed mood.
Okay..it's on page 80 in the japanese version. (middle) As for context...Jin has just found out...hey! these cupcakes aren't bad! the he goes on to mention her feeding him mud pies, Aika says that was back in kindergarden, and it's after that that I get stuck.

"In her anger Aika turned deep red.............."

Any help out there?
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Krikit wrote:Okay I've got a question...^_^
愛花は、真っ赤になって怒った。くるくると素直に表情を変化させる愛花とは、おたがいの呼吸もわかりあえていて、くったくなくしゃべれる。きのうのシエラとのストレスてんこ盛りな時間に比べて、陣はずいぶんとくつろいだ気持ちになった。
What I'm getting....O_o (completely unedited, I know it's really off O_o)
In her anger Aika turned deep red. Rotating her face to show an unaffected look, in the same breath she came to an understanding, she chatted without care. Calculating how to fill up his time from the stress of Sierra from yesterday, he was getting into a more relaxed mood.
Okay..it's on page 80 in the japanese version. (middle) As for context...Jin has just found out...hey! these cupcakes aren't bad! the he goes on to mention her feeding him mud pies, Aika says that was back in kindergarden, and it's after that that I get stuck.

"In her anger Aika turned deep red.............."

Any help out there?
From chinese text, page 69...
Aika is so angry her entire face flushes red. Being with Aika who always tend to show her emotions on her face instantly, as the two have known each other since long ago, they can chat leisurely without worries. In comparison with the stressful situation he was in with Sierra yesterday, Jin really feels much more relaxing and at ease now.
Just before this part, Jin mentioned about Aika made him eat mudballs during kindergarden. Ashamed and infuritated by her shameful past, Aika is so angry her face turns red. That is what I understand from the chinese text. Anything I missed out?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

As always, thanks for the help shadow :mrgreen:

a little over 4.5 pages left til I get out an update. Yay, tomorrow is friday :)
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

「あら。歴史を自分の都合のいいように解釈して衆愚の民を扇動するのは、為政者の常套手段じゃない」

hmmm...page 92-93 in the Japanese version.

Jin finishes talking about Solomon and incurring the wrath of the people, and Israel splits. Then Sierra goes on to mention Jin should thank her more, and that's where this comes in.

(I'm not giving a detailed description because I kind of want to avoid giving detailed info to readers...so if you write more than this one sentence in translation, spoilers are useful with a tag ^_^)

AH! GOOGLE!! RUN!!
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Krikit wrote:「あら。歴史を自分の都合のいいように解釈して衆愚の民を扇動するのは、為政者の常套手段じゃない」

hmmm...page 92-93 in the Japanese version.

Jin finishes talking about Solomon and incurring the wrath of the people, and Israel splits. Then Sierra goes on to mention Jin should thank her more, and that's where this comes in.

(I'm not giving a detailed description because I kind of want to avoid giving detailed info to readers...so if you write more than this one sentence in translation, spoilers are useful with a tag ^_^)

AH! GOOGLE!! RUN!!
Something like this perhaps?
Spoiler! :
"Oh my, to use history in a manner beneficial to oneself to instigate those foolish people, isn't that a common political strategy?"

Or more literally,
"Oh my, to explain history in a way that is beneficial to oneself and instigate the foolish/dumb civilians/people/followers, is't that a common tactic used by people with authority/power?"
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Been a while since I've posted here...:)

Anyway, here's my question, with the part I wonder about bolded and underlined.

「あのお二人は、生徒会長に告るというので、わたしはおよしなさいって言ったんです」

My translationion so far with this sentence:
Spoiler! :
“Those two were going to confess to the student council president so, I told them to "XXXXXX""
Where XXX = the part I don't know...(also, the "I told them to "XXXXXX"" could change depending on the XXX. for example, "so, I said "xxx" to them"" etc etc.

Anyway, for context, this is Satoko's first dialogue after the picture of her and Jin standing together. 2nd line on page 110 in the Japanese novel.

more help :)

But don't read this if you want to wait for my update :) (it is just a taste though, not a big thing)
Spoiler! :
“Arabian Nights? Yes, if it's a request from a Senpai, then I can search the archives.”

“No, you don't have to, I can look it up myself. The book archives are huge after all. Sorry.”

“It's fine. Just leave it to me, Ku~ku~ku...”

“Wha, why did you start laughing?”

Jin asked with an eerie feeling. In reply, Satoko changed the direction of the conversation.

“Those two were going to confess to the student council president so,

EDIT

What the heck does
十中入九
mean?

lol...no help from anything...wait, let me try my dictionary

EDIT 2

I checked my dictionary. In it, there is one definition, for 十中八九 which means like "Nine times out of 10" but in the book...it's not an OCR mistake with 入 and 八. It might be a book typo...as that's really what the book says. 入
joay_b
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by joay_b »

The phrase およしなさい could mean お止しなさい (give it up/knock it off/forget about it), although I could be mistaken. Let's hear out the rest of the story if my guesswork is right.
まず隗より始めよ。
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Chapter 2 is done, and it's up...phew. Did like 4 pages tonight. 3 hours...man am I slow or what... :shock:

Return to “PuiPui”