Meaning of Names in PuiPui! (kind of funny)

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Meaning of Names in PuiPui! (kind of funny)

Post by Krikit »

So I'll look into the others...but I just wanted to point out Sierra's name first :).

So we have ZADOU Sierra.

シエラ: (Sierra) well....it's just Sierra :)

座堂: (Zadou) okay..the kanji here mean: [seat/one's place/position] and [public chamber/hall/temple/shrine] So her name is kind of like a temple seat. or something like that....but what I really wanted to get into :)

Zadou is just like Satou in Japanese, with the marks changing Sa to Za, and To to Do. But the base symbols are the same.

Satou in japanese means "sugar." You think maybe the author did this on purpose?? giving Sierra a name that could have been "based" on the word "sugar?" I mean, just look at her personality....haha, how aptly named ^_^...

Yeah, so i haven't decided if this is a useless thread or not...it's 1:35 in the morning and I felt tired and random...anyway, I still think it's kind of kool :)
salv87
Astral Realm

Re: Meaning of Names in PuiPui! (kind of funny)

Post by salv87 »

well, she is an ojou-sama, so sitting in the temple/shrine etc can be concidered as a "high place" ^_^
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Is there any way I can get a mod to delete this thread? It's completely useless, I don't know why I made it...and it wastes beautiful space on the PuiPui project section of the forums....can I get it deleted? or do you guys only lock threads?
kage_musha
Astral Realm

Post by kage_musha »

actually, Sierra's name was based from the word "Scheherazade", from the popular family computer game [Arabian dreams Scheherazade]. If you translate it into Japanese, It'll be シェラザード (Sherazado = Sierra Zado). 8)
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Um. Shahrazad is a classic story from The Arabian Nights. That game simply takes its name from the story.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
kage_musha
Astral Realm

Post by kage_musha »

My bad, sorry :lol:
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

...wow...how do you know that kind of stuff? Heck I'm translating and I had all I could do to try and understand what the "Majnun of Lunacy " was...
Spoiler! :
It is based on the real story of a young man called Qays ibn al-Mulawwah (Arabic: قيس بن الملوح‎) from the northern Arabian Peninsula,[1] in the Umayyad era during the 7th century. There were two Arabic versions of the story at the time.[2] In one version, he spent his youth together with Layla, tending their flocks. In the other version, upon seeing Layla he fell passionately in love with her. In both versions, however, he went mad when her father prevented him from marrying her; for that reason he came to be called Majnun Layla, which means "Driven mad by Layla".
taken from the all-knowing Wikipedia :)

so maybe the translation should be "The Deranged Lunatic." though doing that loses some of the arabian words, which I think sound kind of cool :)

Anyway, going from the title, and the last picture which shows Jin with some kind of weapon on his arm, I want to think that there is some kind of fight with this madman who loved and lost a girl named Layla. (Alf Layla is also one of the characters we will see in Chapter 3 :))

hmm...guess that's enough for info at the moment. Still have 5 pages to go, but this weekend I'll be in Kyoto, though monday is the day in Japan where they celebrate those who turned 20 the past year. (reached the age of majority in Japan. That's me next year :))
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

that's nice celebration. I wish we had one here too (in my country) ^_^
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

What we do in my country is force people who reach age 21 to drink 21 shots of hard liquor(unless they die of alcohol poisoning sometime before they reach 21, as is quite common).
Administrator
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

and if they don't die before they reach 21, the shots do the job? ^_^
my whole universicy group, plus a few friends from school that I still hang around with wish to see me drunk :D wonder if that would do the trick :D
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

It really is pathetic though. Each year we get 2-3 idiots who die of alcohol poisoning on their 21st birthdays from trying to drink 21 shots.
Administrator
DuskL
Astral Realm

Post by DuskL »

Wait so in your country you can't not do it? Thats kind of ... harsh. Well, unless you enjoy it.
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

well the word "trying" points out that it's not obligatory..
BttC, what's pathetic ?? The fact itself that people die of alchohol poisoning, or that there are people who can't hadle 21 shot ?
BTW what's the liquor ?

hm.. success in derailing the thread..
but continuing on the names.. I wonder if it's a coincidence that the male protagonist is named Jin, concidering that the storie centers around Solomon's treasures and genies ^_^
even if just barely, but let's try keeping the thread on tracks.. or maybe not :D
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

The country is the US. And the pathetic part is people try to do such a thing.
Administrator
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

you forgot to mentiuon the liquor ^_^
or it doesn't really matter?

Return to “PuiPui”