Chrome Shelled Regios - Names and Terminology Guidelines

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

xstar
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Chrome Shelled Regios - Names and Terminology Guidelines

Post by xstar »

Found an inconsistency with Meishen and co.'s home town of Joeldem. It's actually spelled out as Yorutemu (ヨルテム), which would come out close to Yoltem or Yortem. What do you guys think?
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

I have no opinion - all those sound strange for me
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

xstar wrote:Found an inconsistency with Meishen and co.'s home town of Joeldem. It's actually spelled out as Yorutemu (ヨルテム), which would come out close to Yoltem or Yortem. What do you guys think?
I think Joeldem's closer. There are some places that pronounce J as Y and Japan writes how the name's pronounced. A common example would be -burg. It's commonly used in Germany and a lot of Asian countries follow their way of pronouncing it, which would be boo-rook (or something similar). Another would be Zuelini actually... since it's actually pronounced Cheruni(got me pretty confused the first time I read it O.O).
Nobody move! Anybody who moves is the culprit!
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Sharramon wrote:
xstar wrote:Found an inconsistency with Meishen and co.'s home town of Joeldem. It's actually spelled out as Yorutemu (ヨルテム), which would come out close to Yoltem or Yortem. What do you guys think?
I think Joeldem's closer. There are some places that pronounce J as Y and Japan writes how the name's pronounced. A common example would be -burg. It's commonly used in Germany and a lot of Asian countries follow their way of pronouncing it, which would be boo-rook (or something similar). Another would be Zuelini actually... since it's actually pronounced Cheruni(got me pretty confused the first time I read it O.O).
Well, I understand your point for Joeldem, even though it'd still be Joeltem anyway. However, Zuellni is literally spelled out as Tseruni (ツェルニ). If the author intended for it to be Zuelini then the katakana would be Tserini (ツェリニ).
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by blewin »

I think I'm a bit confused.... so you guys are saying that the literal spelling of Katakana in English is not used in the novels? (as in it is spelt Zuellni instead of the literal spelling Tseruni.) Does that mean Joeldem would be more suitable as it's not the literal spelling?
Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

blewin wrote:I think I'm a bit confused.... so you guys are saying that the literal spelling of Katakana in English is not used in the novels? (as in it is spelt Zuellni instead of the literal spelling Tseruni.)
The literal translation of Katakana is rarely used, as when Katakana is used, they're usually either showing emphasis on a word or showing that it's a word from another language, hence why pretty much every (foreigner) name in this series is composed of it. Honestly, your romaji converter or whatever it is was literally translating them quite well, as Layfon's literal translation would be something akin to: Reifon Vorushutein Aruseifu (レイフォン・「ヴォルフシュテイン」・アルセイフ). Personally, I never would've got Zuellni from the katakana without an official translation. There's also several annoyances in translating it, as a letter can very well change into a roughly similar sounding one in translation.
blewin wrote:Does that mean Joeldem would be more suitable as it's not the literal spelling?
Haven't a clue. Usually the author has a basis for these, like Italian, German, or English, but I'm still lost on CSR's.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Japanese has a major limitation regarding variety of consonant sounds. The major problem with it is that many different consonant sounds such as 'V' and 'W'(hard pronunciation) are translated into a single character or character combination such as ヴ, the first character in Wolfstein. Even this character had to be adapted with the introduction of English into their vocabulary set, as it is literally an accented u. For Zuellni, the first character combination in it's spelling in Katakana is 'Tse'(ツェ). Even though that is it's literal spelling, they are actually trying to mimic a soft 'Ze' sound which they can't achieve with their characters limited to the 'Se'(セ) and a hard 'Ze'(ゼ). Emphasis is a major factor in how the Japanese determine katakana usage for foreign words.

When I make attempts to transliterate a term that doesn't really have a clear root, I try to first trace either the spelling intent or the source language. Normally when using the character Tsu (ツ) it doesn't have a subscript, so confirming the spelling of Zuellni was annoying. The author seems to dip into all of the European languages as well as many Asian ones for names in this series, which makes things rather difficult to keep consistent.

Though all of this is true, my original dispute with Joeldem was the second half of the name. Both a 'D' sound and a 'T' sound exist in the normal Japanese kana list, and the character in dispute in ヨルテム (yorutemu) is the third character, pronounced Te. If it does end up spelled as '-tem', then it could potentially change the the predicted root language based on normal sound usage and flow, which may change how we as a group interpret the first half of the name. This is why I brought the entire spelling to be debated rather than just the latter half.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

But that's also understandabele the series should have a multiculti feeling... (I would say)

Could it have been a -town?

Darklor

Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Somehow I dont understand this from Vol. 7 Chap 1:
Spoiler! :
Although all captains were involved in the discussion of strategies, the final decision rested with the Captains of platoons 1-3: Vance, Gorneo and Shin.
Thought Shin is the Captain of the 14th platoon? Maybe there is something missing? Like "ranked"

Also is Gorneo now Captain of the 4th or 5th Platoon?
Spoiler! :
The ranking of platoon matches determined the captain of the teams. Gorneo’s 4th platoon defeated Shin’s 14th platoon in the match. Shin’s words meant that Nina had a chance to win against Gorneo.

Darklor

xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Darklor wrote:Somehow I dont understand this from Vol. 7 Chap 1:
Spoiler! :
Although all captains were involved in the discussion of strategies, the final decision rested with the Captains of platoons 1-3: Vance, Gorneo and Shin.
Thought Shin is the Captain of the 14th platoon? Maybe there is something missing? Like "ranked"

Also is Gorneo now Captain of the 4th or 5th Platoon?
Spoiler! :
The ranking of platoon matches determined the captain of the teams. Gorneo’s 4th platoon defeated Shin’s 14th platoon in the match. Shin’s words meant that Nina had a chance to win against Gorneo.
Gorneo should be the captain of the fifth platoon as is Shin for the 14th. The translation is off. Will fix now.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

So the 5th didnt defeat the 14th?

Darklor

xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Darklor wrote:So the 5th didnt defeat the 14th?
It seems the translation didn't specify the winner, in that line at least. Not sure if it ever did. I'll recheck later.

That's what I think at least. I've mostly been doing term and grammar checks as far as editing goes. Haven't been keeping track of content much.

On another note, I found something strange about the prologue to volume 8. There are two names given to the physicians treating Layfon that don't even show up in the Japanese text in that general location. Can someone confirm?

Edit: how's the list looking so far btw? Anyone willing to take a look and give it a quick quality check?
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

I've noticed this quite a while ago, but under "Kei", (閃断{せんだん}) is listed as both Flash and Sendan. Since I can't tell which version you prefer, I've left it as it is for now.
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Darklor wrote:But that's also understandabele the series should have a multiculti feeling... (I would say)

Could it have been a -town?
Finally understood what you meant by -town. It might mean town in another language that I can't identify, however it's not the Katakana usage I would recognize as town (Ta u n タウン).
Kadi wrote:I've noticed this quite a while ago, but under "Kei", (閃断{せんだん}) is listed as both Flash and Sendan. Since I can't tell which version you prefer, I've left it as it is for now.
Cutting out Flash. Thanks for the heads up. Looks to be more consistently used as Sendan.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Haze
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Chrome Shelled Regios
Now to be Tenyoku no Alderamin

Post by Haze »

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but that City Yorutemu, isnt that the transport city Joeldem? Its what i have it as... Its not on the wiki.
~Haze.

Baka.

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”