To Aru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index)

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Would you like to see this novel translated? Please give a reason.

Yes
98%
No
1%
Maybe
1%

Total votes: 961

Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

To Aru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index)

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Well, I happened to spot this light novel, and I read a bit of the manga. It seems interesting. Here's a summary from Wikipedia:
Set in a city of scientifically advanced superhuman students, but in a world where magic is also real. Toma Kamijo's right hand, the Imagine Breaker, will negate all magic, psychic, or divine powers, but not his own bad luck. One day he finds a young girl hanging on his balcony railing. She turns out to be a nun from the Church of England, and her mind has been implanted with the Index-Librorum-Prohibitorum - all the magical texts the Church has removed from circulation.
I have the raws in a text file if anyone is interested in translating. I might be able to get my hands on the scans.

So what do you all think? Interesting? Yes? No? Maybe? Leave an opinion either way.
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Re: To Aru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index)

Post by fiendmaw »

Hmm,pretty interesting I must say,hope some translators pick this up.Thumbs up from my part.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Sounds quite out there. Superhuman students, magical powers, nuns... So many crazy supernatural out of this world things; It could be pretty good. 8)
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Well, I talked to a translator I know (selkirk if anyone is interested)... He said he's willing to correct translations if someone wanted to translate this, but didn't have the time or effort to check over everything. Selkirk is working on a few projects, so he doesn't have time to fully translate it, but he can fix things (TL check).

Hopefully this will make it easier for any potential translators.

PS: That didn't make much sense. I might get around to correcting my English when I'm less tired/bored.
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Superhuman students, magical powers, nuns... Too many crazy supernatural out of this world things, so I do not think it is something interesting. Overdose of things mean that the author do not have the faith in his own ability and talent to make a novel outstanding and have to rely to overdose of fancy things. So yep, i am against it - we already have enough projects going and this one doesn't look like it will be a good one.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

I saw one chapter of its manga, got me greatly interested, intend to get the chinese novel once i can locate book 1
Spoiler! :
He uses his hand in order to save the nun, however, the nun had one final attack that almost wiped everyone out, though he cancelled most of it, in the end, one feather fell on him and the nun. He uses his body to shield the nun... He wakes up in the hospital, doctor tells him that it appears that he has memory loss, due to magic. The nun worried, comes to visit him, he plays a prank on her, pretending to have forgotten all about her, making her cry. It seems that as it was caused by magic, his hand would... LOLz... The nun grew mad and walked out angrily. The doctor talked to him more. It appears it was a magical effect, not a magic... so his hand cannot cancel the memory loss... just because he doesnt want to make her lose her smile sub-consciously, he lied saying it was a prank... he remembers nothing really...
So i am interested.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

Nice....spoilers,it's really interesting how it will play out.Somebody sohuld translate this.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Somebody should translate it. Finding this "someone" is the hardest part... Translating a novel requires much more dedication than skill. You rarely find people with dedication...
ShadowZeroHeart

Working on KnS and Dokuro, might help out on SnS, and i need to locate book 1 and check its contents before i can understand whether i am up to this...
But my best guess is 2/3 projects would eat almost all of my free time, so pray hard someone helps in any of those i am working on.

Any volunteers please sound off, i can rest more easily then =X

P.S. Repeat: I have not located book 1 yet, but if i do, i can help translate in the occasion there is enough people wanting it, and no one is working on it...
(Somehow it seems i am a stalled project worker?)

Btw why is it translated to a certain magical index? とある魔術の禁書目録, though i do not know the japanese meaning, but the chinese in it would be at least "Index of forbidden books of magic." the meaning seems to be kinda lost...?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
serenade_beta
Astral Realm

Post by serenade_beta »

If you have the novels in txt file, it would definitely make translating easier and I might think about it, but for now, I don't want to. Still busy with reading, haven't read the novels, and I need a break from these fantasy stories with lots of complicated factions and terminology.
Darknemo2000 wrote:Superhuman students, magical powers, nuns... Too many crazy supernatural out of this world things, so I do not think it is something interesting. Overdose of things mean that the author do not have the faith in his own ability and talent to make a novel outstanding and have to rely to overdose of fancy things. So yep, i am against it - we already have enough projects going and this one doesn't look like it will be a good one.
Wuha~, harsh. I suggest giving it a read before deciding just because the setting sounds like an overload. It's actually surprisingly popular.

Not just Superhuman students, magical powers, nuns, but

priests, swordsman, psychos, tsundere, loli, lolicons, and such...
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:I saw one chapter of its manga, got me greatly interested, intend to get the chinese novel once i can locate book 1
Spoiler! :
He uses his hand in order to save the nun, however, the nun had one final attack that almost wiped everyone out, though he cancelled most of it, in the end, one feather fell on him and the nun. He uses his body to shield the nun... He wakes up in the hospital, doctor tells him that it appears that he has memory loss, due to magic. The nun worried, comes to visit him, he plays a prank on her, pretending to have forgotten all about her, making her cry. It seems that as it was caused by magic, his hand would... LOLz... The nun grew mad and walked out angrily. The doctor talked to him more. It appears it was a magical effect, not a magic... so his hand cannot cancel the memory loss... just because he doesnt want to make her lose her smile sub-consciously, he lied saying it was a prank... he remembers nothing really...
So i am interested.
You're a bit wrong (or maybe you just phrased it wrong).
Spoiler! :
Magical effect=Magic. It's a bit hard to understand what you want to say...

The thing is that Index's attack completely killed his memories. He didn't just temporarily lose them like amnesia... That's why his Imagine Breaker couldn't do anything. Deletion.
Wonder if I worded it right...
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Btw why is it translated to a certain magical index? とある魔術の禁書目録, though i do not know the japanese meaning, but the chinese in it would be at least "Index of forbidden books of magic." the meaning seems to be kinda lost...?
とある=A certain
魔術の禁書目録 (Index)=Magic Index

For people interested, here are the illustrations in the novels. Maybe some people will find interest in the novels through them.
*goes to stare at Railgun-chan*

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=68255
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

The illustration and the whole context of the story seems pretty interesting,looking forward to adopting this as a project.
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

And it still doesn't look like something worth to be wasting ones time on. The reviews from Japan also seem pretty negative.
ShadowZeroHeart

とある=A certain
魔術の禁書目録 (Index)=Magic Index
魔術=magic
目録=index

禁書 =forbidden books?

or is it a different meaning in japanese? sorry, i do not understand japanese >"<

Anyways, its normal to have different opinions on a topic, and yes, perhaps

Magical effect=Magic. It's a bit hard to understand what you want to say...
You're a bit wrong (or maybe you just phrased it wrong).
Spoiler! :
The thing is that Index's attack completely killed his memories. He didn't just temporarily lose them like amnesia... That's why his Imagine Breaker couldn't do anything. Deletion.
Wonder if I worded it right...
As i said... i only read one chapter of the manga, i had no idea what they said before or after... i do not even understand what his hand does LOLZ, and i wasnt looking back at the manga when i made the post, so i am likely to be wrong, thx for the correction...

Anyways, i would think that if the people who like the novel wanna translate it, feel free to. If no one wants to translate it, dont complain, since you are not translating it yourself... Kinda mean words, but true... No translators= No novels anyway...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Darknemo2000 wrote:Superhuman students, magical powers, nuns... Too many crazy supernatural out of this world things, so I do not think it is something interesting. Overdose of things mean that the author do not have the faith in his own ability and talent to make a novel outstanding and have to rely to overdose of fancy things. So yep, i am against it - we already have enough projects going and this one doesn't look like it will be a good one.
So, if a translator that currently isn't working on any projects agrees to this, you have no objections? In my experience, translators only work on things they enjoy.
Darknemo2000 wrote:And it still doesn't look like something worth to be wasting ones time on. The reviews from Japan also seem pretty negative.
Source?
serenade_beta
Astral Realm

Post by serenade_beta »

Darknemo2000 wrote:And it still doesn't look like something worth to be wasting ones time on. The reviews from Japan also seem pretty negative.
Well, besides for volume 2, the reviews on Amazon jp are pretty high.
And it even has a good number of videos on nicodouga, and lots of comments.
Not really sure where you got such negative reviews...
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:魔術=magic
目録=index

禁書 =forbidden books?

or is it a different meaning in japanese? sorry, i do not understand japanese >"<
That is true, but the furigana for 禁書目録 is "index", so the whole thing is translated to (and read as) "index".
So basically, とある魔術の禁書目録=とある魔術のインデックス
For more information, try searching furigana on wikipedia or something.
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Anyways, i would think that if the people who like the novel wanna translate it, feel free to. If no one wants to translate it, dont complain, since you are not translating it yourself... Kinda mean words, but true... No translators= No novels anyway...
Not sure if you=me or you=reader, but I'm not complaining.

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”