To Aru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index)

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Would you like to see this novel translated? Please give a reason.

Yes
98%
No
1%
Maybe
1%

Total votes: 961

antonnn
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: To Aru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index)

Post by antonnn »

Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I'm about to pick this series up and wondering in terms of the side stories, if any are necessary to understand more of the proper series, and if I am to read them(even if I am able to skip) between what volumes of the proper series would I read the side stories? 39 pages is a lot to go through, thought it'd be more simple to ask, especially if somebody knows the post or a place where an order is listed! Thanks in advance!
antonnn
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by antonnn »

Oh and by side stories I'm referring to the ones published separately! Moderator if you could add this to my last post that needs to be approved that'd be good thank you!
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

There are characters introduced in some of the side stories that appear in NT (and briefly in v22). If you wanted to read the minimum for things relating to new characters that appear in the main series, it would be SP-Styl, SP-Mark Space, and Norse c6 to c8. None of those are really required to understand the main series, but they'd give a little more insight into some new characters and their backgrounds if you wanted it.
antonnn
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by antonnn »

Ah cool, thanks for that! I'll probably just read the whole side story novels then, no point reading bits and pieces.
Astral Realm

Post by 123 »

I'm just asking if anyone can edit the main page and put a preview tag on chapters that says preview on it i.e. blah (preview) ??
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

123 wrote:I'm just asking if anyone can edit the main page and put a preview tag on chapters that says preview on it i.e. blah (preview) ??
If you're talking about doing it the same as how it was done on the Madan page, then I don't think that's necessary here. The reason it was done that way for Madan is because those are derived from machine translations (with significant additional effort put in). I thought I remember reading somewhere in the Toaru thread or wiki history that the only reason a few chapters have those labels in Toaru is because the translator was less confident in their skills at the time, and wanted to indicate that somehow. Though I could be misremembering that; the translator is still around if they want to clarify. So as long as I'm not mistaken, I don't think it needs the style of (preview) on the project page that was done for Madan.
lostotaku
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by lostotaku »

I am unsure on how to take the ending of NTVol9
unexpected ending but
Spoiler! :
if touma is the enemy of everybody
when vol10 comes out it may cause me to drop it. Depending on what happens in the novel

I honestly don't like the direction the epilogue points the series toward
Light novel better then Manga better then Anime
thats how it generally goes, but there always an exception
shido
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

lostotaku wrote:I am unsure on how to take the ending of NTVol9
unexpected ending but
Spoiler! :
if touma is the enemy of everybody
when vol10 comes out it may cause me to drop it. Depending on what happens in the novel

I honestly don't like the direction the epilogue points the series toward
Spoiler! :
That's only because Touma only knows what went on during the end of the world with the exception of the Will of the sisters. Othinus brought them back to the same time just before the end of volume 8. Touma having a change of objective in his comrade’s eyes all of a sudden might feel that Othinus might have done something to him. It's only natural that he has to play a bad guy just a bit to convince everyone that she's no longer a threat. For me Touma has always has done this. He doesn't hold grudges with any of his past opponents and I'm sure he would like to have the people he's been allying himself with would feel the same.
lostotaku
Vice Commander Itsuki

Post by lostotaku »

shido wrote:
Spoiler! :
That's only because Touma only knows what went on during the end of the world with the exception of the Will of the sisters. Othinus brought them back to the same time just before the end of volume 8. Touma having a change of objective in his comrade’s eyes all of a sudden might feel that Othinus might have done something to him. It's only natural that he has to play a bad guy just a bit to convince everyone that she's no longer a threat. For me Touma has always has done this. He doesn't hold grudges with any of his past opponents and I'm sure he would like to have the people he's been allying himself with would feel the same.
I understand everything you have just said so thats why I am going to wait for the next novel. either way it will be interesting to see how this plotline plays out
Sunnyspot
Astral Realm

Post by Sunnyspot »

By the way, Vol. 9 raised for me some serious questions regarding the power that Imagine Breaker keeps a lid on within Touma. Specifically the whole "Othnius was a Magic God all along and only decided to gather her power back for various reasons a while ago" thing. Just what the hell is the power in Touma then? I mean, Othnius crushed it once in Baggage City, but it seemed to me like Touma was kinda overhwelmed by the situation and the "guy inside"(remember that Touma apparently talked to the power in Vol. 22 OT) seemed to be half-assing things then.

Any ideas?
lostotaku
Vice Commander Itsuki

Post by lostotaku »

Sunnyspot wrote:By the way, Vol. 9 raised for me some serious questions regarding the power that Imagine Breaker keeps a lid on within Touma. Specifically the whole "Othnius was a Magic God all along and only decided to gather her power back for various reasons a while ago" thing. Just what the hell is the power in Touma then? I mean, Othnius crushed it once in Baggage City, but it seemed to me like Touma was kinda overhwelmed by the situation and the "guy inside"(remember that Touma apparently talked to the power in Vol. 22 OT) seemed to be half-assing things then.

Any ideas?
I have always thought of imagine breaker possibly being a guard or protection for what lays beneath, so that nothing supernatural may access it

Perhaps it is something similar to the will of the Misaka network? (I cant quite find the passage I want to post, I remember someone saying imagine breaker being a collection of dreams of magi or something like that)

One other thing to keep in mind vol2 when he loses his arm fighting the alchemist and the form of a king dragon comes out, perhaps that is what is in touma's arm
octapusxft
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by octapusxft »

The latest volume was maybe one of the most amazing light novels I have read so far.

The author proves once more that he is one of the best if not the best japanese LN authors alive.
Always wondering why do translators go AWOL?
acolyte
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by acolyte »

Wowww those side stories are a train wreck. Will we get them aninated?:D
animeking
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by animeking »

an important announcement for Index is slated for April 10th

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... ent-teased

The 2nd season of Durarara!!was recently conformed so hopefully we finally get season 3 of Index
Mark Twain - "I didn't go to his funeral, but I sent a letter saying I approved of it.
The First
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

lostotaku wrote: One other thing to keep in mind vol2 when he loses his arm fighting the alchemist and the form of a king dragon comes out, perhaps that is what is in touma's arm
Spoiler! :
No I remember that it was the alchemist's power which brought his thoughts to reality which made it look like it was a dragon. also in the battle against fiamma the right when he tried to make touma's hand his own, touma's power manifested like an invisible hand (Volume 22 Chapter 10 Part 3)
Baka Tsuki username: Heikichi

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”