To Aru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index)

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Would you like to see this novel translated? Please give a reason.

Yes
98%
No
1%
Maybe
1%

Total votes: 961

Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: To Aru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index)

Post by Enigma »

Teh_ping wrote:The problem is that some parts are a lot longer than others, so its kind of inaccurate to say that if i complete 8 parts out of 11. That's why I prefer using word count % for this. I do update the % on the main page, just not consistently.

One thing though is that I don't have the illustrations, so can someone kindly do them up for me? Thanks in advance.

Btw. Anyone need me to do a translator note or something?
The reason I can't do word count is that I'm not nearly proficient enough at Japanese to even tell some words apart, so I have to resort to simpler methods. I'm not even sure how Japanese word count programs would work anyway.

Can't recall anything needing a translator note, as everything is explained in the reading.

Edit: Uploaded the images (and even managed to screw up one file name too, yay).
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Teh_ping »

Btw, I would be in Thailand from tomorrow until March 2nd for social work (stop staring at me like a freak!). So there won't be any new updates from me. Though I heard that the place where I'm going to has Wi-Fi connection, so I'll see what happens.

If anyone wants to call me, press 11.
Zalthers
Astral Realm

Post by Zalthers »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
In my opinion, this novel series isnt the best to look out for. There are some cool scenes from time to time, but I just hate it when things happen as how NEEDLESS(the manga/anime) would put it. "Anger would let you win. The death of a comrade would let you turn the tides. Hmph, there is no miracle so convenient in this world!!" And To Aru Majutsu no Index tend to love going in this manner. Furthermore, noone dies... And as the author tries to make Touma look unfortunate, I begin to feel that Touma is just trying to "claim" hes unfortunate, acting pitiful to gain compassion or something...

So personally, I dont think you should really read the series? But since oni said that the fun starts from 16, then i have no comments, coz i am currently still stuck on 11
Look at it this way, has any of the MALE protagonists fared well in the story? Touma helps a poor girl, he gets his brains blown out by magic so he's lost his personality.

And here's the best bit.

Being a bad guy fares better than being a good guy. When accelerator is doing his macho stuff and being a punk. He was never unfortunate and quite literally invulnerable. And then one day, he decides to be a good guy. What's his reward for being a good guy? He gets his brains blown out. (I think the author hates your brain. I think zombies would like to have a cup of tea with the author some time soon)

I don't quite agree that the male characters have fared well to reach their epitome of a harem. I think they paid their price in full. Did you not notice when Accelerator gets defeated, and when he was an evil dude, he never had his brains in mortal danger? I think the male characters in the novel fair best being neutral, neither good or bad is the way to live long.

I emphasized male. Because I notice females have it good. Excluding the deaths of Mikoto sister clones that is.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Btw. the not listed volumes are short story collections?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

No, they're part of the main story, it's just that we haven't got to work on them yet. Though ya, there're side stories here. If you're wondering, SS1 has 6 chapters, SS2 has 22 chapters :shock:. There's even a Railgun side story (AND IT'S LONG, WHEN I MEAN LONG, I MEAN 116KB OF TEXT). Now someone remind me if I missed out anymore.
Enigma
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

Darklor wrote:Btw. the not listed volumes are short story collections?
Volumes not listed on the wiki are: volumes 6, 8, 10, 11, 14-19 (soon to be 20), SS1 and 2, and I think there's a new series of Kaori short stories. The first (and only so far?) Kaori SS seems to actually be pretty short. I may not have the whole thing, but it appears to have just a few illustrations and come to about 38 pages(?).
Avril
Astral Realm

Post by Avril »

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but is there any kind of order in those translations? Like starting from Vol 1 till where it is now. (Doesn't seem to be the case)
Or is the schedule to the likings of the translators they personally like to follow? Like "this is a cool chapter, I'll do that if I have time!"

As for my part, I understand it's the nightmare of translators and such, but I would really love to read Volume 8 specifically. (besides the continuation of Volume 13 of course)
I also believe to have spotted some spelling mistakes / weird terms in some translated chapters, and being confident enough in my personal English; is there any way I could help / contribute to smoothen up parts?
Enigma
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

Avril wrote:Sorry if it's a dumb question, but is there any kind of order in those translations? Like starting from Vol 1 till where it is now. (Doesn't seem to be the case)
Or is the schedule to the likings of the translators they personally like to follow? Like "this is a cool chapter, I'll do that if I have time!"
The translation order probably has a lot to do with the anime. Teh_ping seems to want to directly continue off from it, and Joay might have a personal interest in volumes 12 and 13 or possibly assuming the second season of Index—if there is going to be a second season—ends at volume 11, like the anime did at volume 6.
The other translations are indeed more-or-less random, though.
Avril wrote:I also believe to have spotted some spelling mistakes / weird terms in some translated chapters, and being confident enough in my personal English; is there any way I could help / contribute to smoothen up parts?
Create an account on the Wiki page (it's different from the forum) and click an edit button on a page you want to edit; an edit button can be found at the very top of pages and sometimes throughout chapters.
Archmagination2002
Astral Realm

Post by Archmagination2002 »

The translation order probably has a lot to do with the anime. Teh_ping seems to want to directly continue off from it, and Joay might have a personal interest in volumes 12 and 13 or possibly assuming the second season of Index—if there is going to be a second season—ends at volume 11, like the anime did at volume 6.
The other translations are indeed more-or-less random, though.
So in other words I will have to wait a long, LONG time then to read the novels. I refuse to read novels out of order even if its a continuation of the anime because so much can be different in the novels compared to the anime. Hopefully someone will translate volume 1 soon.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

I'll be working on 9 after i finish 7, but to be honest, I don't have a particular order in which volumes I choose to translate. The rest is on a request basis, since I'm not not sure myself where to start off after that. (Or whether my time in the Army allows me that.)
Avril wrote:I also believe to have spotted some spelling mistakes / weird terms in some translated chapters, and being confident enough in my personal English; is there any way I could help / contribute to smoothen up parts?
Any form of help is welcomed. Just sign up on our wiki mainpage and you can do whichever edits you want. (Except admin stuff)
Enigma
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

Teh_ping wrote:I'll be working on 9 after i finish 7, but to be honest, I don't have a particular order in which volumes I choose to translate. The rest is on a request basis, since I'm not not sure myself where to start off after that. (Or whether my time in the Army allows me that.)
Volume 10 would be good after 9, as I believe it's a direct sequel, like 12 to 13. I'm interested in the Index series in its entirety, so I don't really mind which novels are translated; though because of rumors I've heard, there are 'this one stands out a little more' ones. Plus, even if 1-6 are translated, I've heard the anime changed several things (looking at you, volume 4) and, as expected, really condensed them.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Teh_ping wrote:No, they're part of the main story, it's just that we haven't got to work on them yet. Though ya, there're side stories here. If you're wondering, SS1 has 6 chapters, SS2 has 22 chapters :shock:. There's even a Railgun side story (AND IT'S LONG, WHEN I MEAN LONG, I MEAN 116KB OF TEXT). Now someone remind me if I missed out anymore.
Railgun SS is 8 parts, each one with each Indes DVD. In the other hand only two parts of the Kanzaki SS are available because only 2 Railgun dvds are out, so the only thing left is to wait with patience the rest.
PimpToad
Astral Realm

Post by PimpToad »

Motivated by teh_ping's translation effort for volume 7, would anyone be kind enough to guide me as to how to become an editor/proofreader for the novel? My command of the English language is par at best, but I find enough errors scattered here and there that are easy to fix and may as well fix them while reading.
Enigma
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

PimpToad wrote:Motivated by teh_ping's translation effort for volume 7, would anyone be kind enough to guide me as to how to become an editor/proofreader for the novel? My command of the English language is par at best, but I find enough errors scattered here and there that are easy to fix and may as well fix them while reading.
Create an account on the Wiki's page (it's different from the forum) and click an edit button on the page you want to edit. You don't have to create an account, but your IP will be publicly revealed in the page's history. Edit buttons are located at the top of the page and sometimes throughout the chapters, though Index usually has them everywhere.

Beware of updates when editing. If someone else updates before you finish editing, you'll have to re-apply them. As always, the 'show preview' and 'show changes' buttons are your friends.
Last edited by Enigma on Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PimpToad
Astral Realm

Post by PimpToad »

Much appreciated! I'll start editing Vol5-ch2 and work my way down. I suppose I'll have to re-read volumes 7 and 12 now...maybe I should have done this earlier...

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”