Chrome Shelled Regios - Names and Terminology Guidelines

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

xstar
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Chrome Shelled Regios - Names and Terminology Guidelines

Post by xstar »

Title is self explanatory. This thread was brought about by discussions in the CSR project thread. It will be a comprehensive list for the use of readers, translators and editors alike. I'll keep up with updating the list as we go. I'll keep tabs on all Japanese that goes with the names as future reference for the list, so if anyone needs the Japanese text for a specific term, just let me know the volume number of what I'm looking for and I'll dig it up. As a reference, all of the Japanese is taken straight out of the novel.

EDIT:This List is now on site at http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... _Guideline

I'll keep updating as time goes by. Post any disputes or additions you can think of.
Last edited by xstar on Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:09 am, edited 28 times in total.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Chrome Shelled Regios - Names and Terminology Guidelines

Post by blewin »

Derek will be the new (correct) spelling from Vol 12 Ch 5 onwards. Anyone else, feel free to change Deruk into Derek in earlier chapters.

Talking about names, there're also the names of Heaven's Blade successors and names of cities. Got a few city names here in my list. I bet the spellings aren't right anyway. I didn't write down the volumes the cities appear in.

Dixero's city - Veruzamous the City of Strong Desire.
the city in the first Military Arts Competition with Zuellni - Myath
the city in the second Military Arts Competition with Zuellni - Farune (seriously not sure about the spelling here. In Vol 9 I think.)
Dinn's city - Kerunes
Dalshena's city - City of Hourin
Karian's city - Trade City Santoburug
Neighbouring cities of Santoburug - Ronderia, Karamarina
A city that blewin's forgotten what it is... but the name's in the list - Yorutemu
Haze
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Chrome Shelled Regios
Now to be Tenyoku no Alderamin

Post by Haze »

Whats the spellings for the royal families gonna be?
~Haze.

Baka.
blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by blewin »

It says there're three royal families but they should have different names.
Leerin's real father - Herder Eutnohl.
The Queen is - Alsheyra Almonise (so Almonise could be the other family?)
Tigris the HB is also royal but I don't know his surname.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Lance-Shelled Grendan (槍殻都市グレンダン)
- The Three Royal Families

- Heaven's Blade Successors

-----------------------
What's everyone's take on this list? Not sure about Leerin's supposed surname though. I have a feeling it's Malfes ('s would be silent if I'm right). I took a few liberties with the names to clean them up and make them closer to a European name, though each of these names seems to be completely unique (almost) and of somewhat random origin. Post any disputes you might have.
-----------------------
So list of E-spirit names.
Electronic Spirits
(See main list)
I'll upload more as I come across it. These also will not be official until pasted onto the first post. Give me some input Please :D . I haven't come across Herder's name yet either so I can't really check spelling. I make it a point to look for the names and terms in original text before I even think about putting them up. So I'll keep adding them as I go. This is an absurd amount of work btw :shock: .
Last edited by xstar on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Haze
Project Translator

Post by Haze »

Thanks heaps for the list!

Only differences are that I spelt Eutnohl as Yuutonoru, and Minse's name was made Minsu. Also, i misspelt Ronsmier as Ronsmaia. Also got Midonoto wrong. Kanji converter fail.

Time to make some corrections...

*Edit: There are two terms here i don't qute know. It seems like terminology. What are they?
保管者 and the other thing about bloodlines...

単なる遺伝子の保管者《ほかんしゃ》ではなく、その血の発現者として実力を示さなければならなかった。

Thanks for the help.
~Haze.

Baka.
Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

While I usually stay out of these types of discussions due to the creative spelling that the Japanese alphabets can make and my utter unoriginality, I got a couple comments.

Kanaris Aerifon Rivin (カナリス・エアリフォ・リヴィン)
Why an N over an S?

Kalvan Geordeus Midonoto (カルヴァーン・ゲオルディウス・ミッドノット)
Midonoto seems to be a little too literal when compared to the rest of the names. I'd say I have a couple suggestions, but they sound better in my head than in writing. I do think at least removing the "o" at the end would be good.
Last edited by Enigma on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Haze wrote:There are two terms here i don't quite know. It seems like terminology. What are they?
保管者 and the other thing about bloodlines...

単なる遺伝子の保管者《ほかんしゃ》ではなく、その血の発現者として実力を示さなければならなかった。

Thanks for the help.
The first term is Hokansha (Not sure if that's exactly how its read. I don't know the rules for Kanji readings). The term is in two parts to be exact. The first part consists of the first two Kanji to mean charge, custody or storage. The second part is just a qualifier for person (in this case: one who). So a 保管者 would be like a warren, prison guard, legal guardian, a human container or a person of that effect.

The full sentence reads (liberal translation) "The gene, normally not contained within a person, apparently fully expressed itself in this person's blood and giving him this ability."
I don't understand the context so I can't double check the meaning like I normally do. Japanese kinda hinges on context.
Enigma wrote:While I usually stay out of these types of discussions due to the creative spelling that the Japanese alphabets can make and my utter unoriginality, I got a couple comments.

Kanaris Aerifon Rivin (カナリス・エアリフォ・リヴィン)
Why an N over an S?

Kalvan Geordeus Midonoto (カルヴァーン・ゲオルディウス・ミッドノット)
Midonoto seems to be a little too literal when compared to the rest of the names. I'd say I have a couple suggestion, but they sound better in my head than in writing. I do think at least removing the "o" at the end would be good.
Oops, the n is a typo. Thanks for pointing it out.

As for Kalvan, I was going to go back to it in a bit. I started getting tired before getting to that name and my eye sight was getting blurry after going through the name archives for various languages. The name would probably be something along the lines of Midnote or Meadnote or perhaps ノット could be construed to 'naught.' Midnote just doesn't seem right though...

I'll add that major list to the first post this weekend.
Last edited by xstar on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Haze
Project Translator

Post by Haze »

The two terms appear in the final chapter ordinary days of volume 8 japanese raws. They don't mean much in chinese...

and i had just added Midonoto to my dictionary as well u_u

oh well, i'll have to wait for the proper naming guides...
~Haze.

Baka.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

OK, list updated 06/11/10. Electronic Spirits and a collection of Grendan names added.

Edit:

Terms
- Mitessha (ミーテッシャ)
- Dite (ダイト)
-- Safaia Dite (サファイアダイト)
-- Ruby Dite (ルビーダイト)
-- Emerald Dite(エメラルドダイト)

Found something in Emerald Dite classification. The literal reading of the Japanese text is Emerarudo Daito -> Emerald Dite. Same Idea with Ruby. The exact transliteration for it is RubiーDaito (long e sound) resulting in Ruby Dite. Should they just be fully converted into just gemstone+dite? We had this discussion before, so what's the final call?
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Haze
Project Translator

Post by Haze »

I reckon Gem + Dite. Dunno bout Blewin.

Spam questions:

What about that special white dite used by the Heaveh's Blades?
Do you know what the Girls (Mei-Shen, Naruki and Mifi) gave to Leerin? I put it as Rin-chan, not sure if that right. (Impact of Childhood1 Vol 11)
Names of Nina's roommates? (Diamond passion, vol 8) I have Serina/Salina and Leu (Someone on Animesuki Suggested Fueda)

XD Hope it's not too much trouble.
~Haze.

Baka.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Haze wrote:I reckon Gem + Dite. Dunno bout Blewin.

Spam questions:

What about that special white dite used by the Heaveh's Blades?
Do you know what the Girls (Mei-Shen, Naruki and Mifi) gave to Leerin? I put it as Rin-chan, not sure if that right. (Impact of Childhood1 Vol 11)
Names of Nina's roommates? (Diamond passion, vol 8) I have Serina/Salina and Leu (Someone on Animesuki Suggested Fueda)

XD Hope it's not too much trouble.
Heaven's Blades are apparently Platinum Dites (プラチナダイト) (Kanji reads Alchemical Silver-Steel). Sharnid's sniper rifle is a Lithium dite (リチウムダイト) though (silvery-white in color). Weird isn't it?

They ended up nicknaming her Rin-chan (リンちゃん) like you first surmised.

Selina Vin is already on the list. I searched for Leu's family name but couldn't find it. Can you give me a specific chapter to scour?
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Haze
Project Translator

Post by Haze »

My bad. my volume 8 turned into a 8) .

Volume 8 Diamond Passion is where it is. Don't remember if it has her family name though.
~Haze.

Baka.
blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by blewin »

What a list! Thanks for the effort, everyone!

xstar, would you mind putting an extra line between the headings so it's easier to read?
xstar wrote:OK, list updated 06/11/10. Electronic Spirits and a collection of Grendan names added.

Edit:

Terms
- Mitessha (ミーテッシャ)
- Dite (ダイト)
-- Safaia Dite (サファイアダイト)
-- Ruby Dite (ルビーダイト)
-- Emerald Dite(エメラルドダイト)

Found something in Emerald Dite classification. The literal reading of the Japanese text is Emerarudo Daito -> Emerald Dite. Same Idea with Ruby. The exact transliteration for it is RubiーDaito (long e sound) resulting in Ruby Dite. Should they just be fully converted into just gemstone+dite? We had this discussion before, so what's the final call?
well, looking at how the new names aren't all too different to the old ones and so wouldn't cause any confusion whatsoever, I'd say go with the new names. They look neater anyway. BTW, what's the name for Layfon's Psyharden Dite besides the "Katana"?

I've "Feuda" the name here for Nina's roommate....

Who's Rin?
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

blewin wrote:well, looking at how the new names aren't all too different to the old ones and so wouldn't cause any confusion whatsoever, I'd say go with the new names. They look neater anyway. BTW, what's the name for Layfon's Psyharden Dite besides the "Katana"?

I've "Feuda" the name here for Nina's roommate....

Who's Rin?
Layfon's Katana is an Iron Dite (アイアンダイト).

Nina's roommates' names should be Selina and Leu. What probably happened was someone saw レウだ (reu-da) written. The first two characters are written in katakana, denoting her name. The third character is the plain form of the word meaning 'is', which the Japanese throw in at the end of almost every sentence that doesn't already have a verb. That person misread it and went with it. I haven't come across anything different as far as the third roommate's name, including the family name, but I'll keep searching. Oh and btw, the name you mentioned would be written as フェウダ BTW. If you're looking through the japanese text for that name to confirm, that would be the closest thing.

Rin-chan is the same as Leerin. Rin-chan is just the name Meishen's group gave her when they first meet her.

Edit: Just noticed something when I went to add Alsheyra's alias to the list. Her name doesn't match the Japanese. The text is シノーラ・アレイスラ which reads:
Shino-ra Areisura. Synola Aleisla? Aleisler? What do you guys think?
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”