CSR/Index Translator Recruitment Page

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

xstar
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

CSR/Index Translator Recruitment Page

Post by xstar »

We're recruiting! Anyone with a background in Japanese or Chinese and interested in joining in and translating, feel free to post here and the joint translation team will help you get started :D .

Note: Prior experience not required (especially true in my case).

Edit by ShadowZeroHeart: There are definitely Chinese copies of Index, since I read those.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
stormwolfex
Astral Realm

Re: CSR/Index Translator Recruitment Page

Post by stormwolfex »

Hi guys,

this is stormwolf here, or wolf for short if you like ^^. So I hear you guys are recruiting, thus I'd like to express my interest in joining the translator team for the To Aru Majutsu no Index series. I have good background in the chinese language and speech and am fairly proficient in it. My english shouldn't be too horrible either, haha. I typically like to laze around but I like the To Aru series, so I'm going out on a limb here and hope I can be of some use. Hope to hear from you guys soon. :)

Regards,

Wolf

Edit: Do note that I have completely no experience with regards to translation works, so please guide me along the way ^^
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

You have the raws at hand? Do you have some volumes or chapters you specially want to translate?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
stormwolfex
Astral Realm

Post by stormwolfex »

Um, I don't have any raws on hand, is it necessary for me to get them? If so, i could try procuring them. Currently, i have no preferences to which volume or chapters i wan to translate, so I'm pretty much willing to translate whatever you guys want me to, as long as it is in chinese.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

My turn now.

Well, you need to get something to translate it from. As for what volumes you want to translate, we don't demand that you do this and that, so it's free will. We are not a corporation, we are just a bunch of ragtags who just want to contribute in our own ways.
stormwolfex
Astral Realm

Post by stormwolfex »

Hey guys, thanks for the PM, it really helped a lot.

I'm a Singaporean, so I wasn't really sure if I could actually find a bookstore that sells the To Aru light novels, haha. I have seen the format of the translations posted here among others, so I'd like to confirm a few things before I actually get started:

1. When I'm done translating it into English, to whom to I have to submit/PM it to?
2. I've seen some of the terms the users were discussing about such as the Anglican Church and such, is there any page I could look at for reference so I don't shoot myself in the foot while converting the name to English?
3. To whom to do I report to when I've decided which chapters I'm going to translate?

That should be all for now, thanks in advance ^^
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

1) Most translators put it directly on the wiki. Create a new page/follow an "empty/red link to a not yet created page", put it there, done. Then the editors will look over it and that's it.
2) Not yet for Index, I believe. But I think they use the English wikipedia-entry as a guideline for names, maybe with some exceptions? Even if you do something wrong, there are still editors. And the general public will be happy as long as there is any kind of progress at all, so no need for perfection right from the start. Although this could be the best time to create a page with conventions, considering you'll have 3 translators and at least 2 editors for a while.
3) There is a Registration Page linked from the TAMNI main page on the wiki ( http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ation_Page ), just grab some chapters and you're set.

Ohh, I don't know if you have one already, but as a general idea, it is recommended for regular contributors to have an account on the wiki as well.

EDIT: Regarding 2/guidelines: It seems there is a different wiki dedicated to TAMNI and that is used as a guideline. There's another topic on it in this sub-forum and a link on baka-TAMNI main-page? ( http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wi ... Index_Wiki )

EDIT2: Changed 1) to "directly on the wiki". For obvious reasons, I hope.
Last edited by Kadi on Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

stormwolfex wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the PM, it really helped a lot.
I'm a Singaporean, so I wasn't really sure if I could actually find a bookstore that sells the To Aru light novels, haha.
You can get it at Kinokuniya Orchard easily, at light novel shelf (ライトノベル). Behind the recommended manga (where you can find one piece, naruto, fairy tail, and most recently bakuman moved there) and the pillar with the new comic arrival posting (the yellowish paper) with all the art books, stands shelves in sets of two. For the first set, if you are facing the Chinese / Japanese information counter, the left one is コミック and the right one is ライトノベル. Go to the next set with the left shelf marked ライトノベル. To Aru should be there in second or third row if I remember correctly :P. I do recommend buying, but also it's more convenient to translate from the raws, so it would be good to get hold of raws as well. You might want to PM those in the project on this.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Last I checked Kino (when I went to buy Baka Test), the Japanese ones only had volumes 11 and 14. 3, 4, 6 and SS1 for Chinese. They sell out fast here.

Alright, hard to explain this, but when you come up from the escalator, head left. You should be heading to the left down. Head there till you reach the Japanese section. Like Larethian said, go to the "ライトノベル" section (should be somewhere around the inside. There's also a Chinese section, but you need to go to another area. It's sort of near the cashier at the exit.
Kadi wrote:EDIT: Regarding 2/guidelines: It seems there is a different wiki dedicated to TAMNI and that is used as a guideline. There's another topic on it in this sub-forum and a link on baka-TAMNI main-page? ( http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wi ... Index_Wiki )
As for the wiki link, I asked the owner for permission to link it there, since it's tiring to do a terminology thread by ourselves here. The thing now is that we don't really follow their guidelines, it's more like 'if we come up with it first, they follow it; if they come up with it first, we follow it', since the wikia relatively incomplete. As TAMnI is very technical, it will take a translator two months to even finish gathering all the terminologies, not including breaks.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Because of that I thought we should have also a own list or at least thread to discuss some difficult (to translate) terms if they arise.

@Kadi

you mean wiki instead of forum right?

@stormwolfex

If you had an idea what you like to translate mabye someone could provide you with the raw for that part if you cant get it otherwise...

Darklor

Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Yes, I do. Thank you for pointing that out. Umm... could you quote and highlight it in the future? Since I talked about the wiki and the forum quite a lot in that post, I had some slight trouble finding the mistake. Thank you nevertheless, though. Going to edit it in a second, and just to be sure:

Finished translations are usually put directly on the wiki by the translator. Exceptions where the translations go to a dedicated editor first exist, but they are exceptions and require prior arrangements.
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Otherwise the translation will be edited overtime by other users/readers in wiki.

@Kadi sorry thought it would be clear since it was in the first sentence

Darklor

stormwolfex
Astral Realm

Post by stormwolfex »

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, it was helpful. ^^

Um, perhaps I can read through a couple of chapters and start working on uncompleted volumes? It could be a start. Is there a page with the chapters taken by the translators? Just so i don't cut in or anything.

It's nice to talk to other Singaporean TAMNI fans, btw ^^
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

There's the Registration Page found on each one of the translation main pages.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

stormwolfex wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the PM, it really helped a lot.

I'm a Singaporean, so I wasn't really sure if I could actually find a bookstore that sells the To Aru light novels, haha. I have seen the format of the translations posted here among others, so I'd like to confirm a few things before I actually get started:

1. When I'm done translating it into English, to whom to I have to submit/PM it to?
2. I've seen some of the terms the users were discussing about such as the Anglican Church and such, is there any page I could look at for reference so I don't shoot myself in the foot while converting the name to English?
3. To whom to do I report to when I've decided which chapters I'm going to translate?

That should be all for now, thanks in advance ^^
Sorry for the late reply. Here we go

1) You can just post directly onto the wiki page.
Here's what you need

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... iting_Tips

1. First, go to the volume that you want to upload.

2. Do you see the edit button on the top right hand corner? Click it.

3. Look at the 'Internal link' section, that is how you're going to add hyperlinks. (You can look at the other volumes for reference)

4. If you did it right, the words should be in red, click on it.

5. Now, you should be in a new page. Click on the 'create' button at the top.

6. Upload the text that you have already translated. (Make sure to press 'enter' once after every paragraph so that it's easier to read.)

7. Next, the headings. At the wiki editing tips page, look at the 'headings' section (well, duh).

8. If you see the format used on all B-T texts, you'll probably get an idea of how to do it. (Just copy what they do.)

9. For pictures, it's under 'thumbnail image', the 'picture' would be from the illustrations of the volume that's available here. If I want a picture from say 'Volume 1 page 031', the format would be [[Image:Index_v01_031.jpg|thumb]]

10. For a footer, just go to any completed chapter here, copy the scripts for the footer, and make the necessary edits.
Of course, if you're still uncertain and want someone to check it for you, I'll do it. Just PM me the document and I'll check it up for you. I'll be brutal here though.

2) As for terms, it's best if you check out the TAMnI wikia, since it's more of a 'universally' agreed terminology database. http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wi ... Index_Wiki. Of course, I used to translate the Anglican Church as the Puritan Church, but well...

3)For registration, you can go to this page: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ation_Page

As for starters, why don't you do up some of the volumes that were incomplete? Volumes 3 and 4 would be good. And one guy just posted about 1hr 30min ago that he wants to read the SISTERs arc, so, there you have it.

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”