To Aru Majutsu no Index - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Falver
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: To Aru Majutsu no Index - Names and Terminology

Post by Falver »

Hey, new here.
I've been frequenting Baka-Tsuki for a while and I decided to compile the names and terminology list, using my own descriptions (I consider myself relatively knowledgeable).
I will be doing this overtime on this post.
Also good to note, the depth and detail to which I'll be cataloging is in self-debate at the moment.

Warning: Spoilers can and will be abundant because I am fully compiling them. Terms that cause more spoiling will be placed later in the spoilers by default.
Obviously however almost all "Character" and "Scientific and Magical" files are spoilers

Characters
Espers
Spoiler! :
Accelerator (Broken Vector) - Approximately 16 years old. Psychic power is the redirection of vectors. He is depicted as a villainous hero or a dark hero throughout the story. He is also the 2nd main protagonist to which the story adheres to. He is shown to be by far the most powerful ESPer and is several times more capable than the number two ESPer. When his brain is damaged by Kihara Amata, he employs a device that allows him to tap into the Radio Noise Misaka Network to do the calculations for him. Besides his vector manipulation, he is shown to have proficiency in various types of combat and intelligence. Overall, he is depicted as evil and self-effacing, however is also shown to strive to be a protector like Kamijou.

Kakine Teitoku (Dark Matter) - Age unknown, but older teenager. Ranked #2 in Academy City. One-sided rivalry with Accelerator and genuine rivalry with Mugino Shizuru. Physic power is the creation of "Dark Matter", not to be confused with real dark matter that exists in space. Dark Matter can become anything he imagines and has extraordinary firepower. Has a superiority complex and despises Accelerator. His goal is to become the strongest esper as he is ill content with being #2.

Misaka Mikoto (Railgun) - Between 14 and 15 in age. Ranked #3 in Academy City. Rivalry with Kamijou Touma. Stubborn and righteous, Misaka Mikoto is shown to be kind-hearted and at times easily depressed. Attends Tokidawai Middle School for the elites at Academy City. Psychic power is "Electromaster", able to manipulate 2billion volts of electricity. Codenamed "Railgun" because of her signature attack, firing small metal objects by supercharging them with electricity, similar to a real rail gun.

Mugino Shizuru (Meltdowner) - Age not explicit, implied to be an older teenager. Ranked #4 in Academy City. Rivalry with Kakine Teitoku. Dislikes Misaka Mikoto. While ranked #4, she allegedly is fully capable of killing "Railgun"; however, full outputs of her psychic power puts her own body in danger. Psychic power is "Meltdowner", however not completely explained, it is told that her power explodes the inert energy inside atoms to create massive energy reactions in the form of explosive lasers. Typically nonchalant, when angered her personality takes a turn for the worse.

Shokuhou Misaki (Mental Out) - Age not explicit, appears to be a middle schooler. The second strongest esper in Tokiwadai middle school, behind Misaka Mikoto and ranked #5 overall. Psychic Ability is "Mental Out". She has the capability to take full control of people's brains. This includes mind control, memory wipes, knocking them unconscious, etcetera. Little is known about her but she typically speaks to people through those she that has taken over.

Sogiita Gunha (Attack Crash) - Age not explicit, older teenager. Spontaneous personality and difficult to deal with. Psychic power is "Attack Crash", he is ranked #7 overall and is also the strongest Gemstone. What his psychic power does is not explained and the given explanation of "explodes telekinetic powers" is shown to not be possible. Also goes by the alias "Captain Japan".

Himegami Aisa (Deep Blood)
Shirai Kuroko
Musujime Awaki (Move Point)
Unabara Mitsuki
Kongou Mitsuko (Aero Hand)
Kinuhata Saiai (Offense Armor)
Takitsubo Rikou (AIM Stalker)
Misaka WORST
Kuroyoru Umidori(Bomber Lance)
Last Order (Radio Noise)
Uiharu Kazari
Gemstone Girl
Level 0's
Spoiler! :
Saten Ruiko
Komaba Ritoku
Hamazura Shiage
Hattori Hanzou
Magicians
Spoiler! :
Unaffiliated or Down-The-Middle
Spoiler! :
Kamijou Touma
Tsuchimikado Motoharu

Groups
Magic
Spoiler! :
Science
Spoiler! :
Etcetera
Spoiler! :

Terminologies
Religions
Spoiler! :
Anglican Protestant/Puritan
Vatican Catholic
Russian Orthodox
Protestant
Countries
Spoiler! :
England/G.B.
France
Italy
Russia
Japan
U.S.A.
Scientific and Magical terms
Spoiler! :
Vector
Dark Matter
Dark Matter (Toaru-verse)
Railgun
Misaka Network
Gemstone
Nitrogen
Grimoire
ESPer
Level X
Vampire
Testament (Science)
Majin
"Being Above God"
"Kamijou"
"Level 6"
Level 6 Shift
Imagine Breaker
Body Crystal
Dark May
Underline
DRAGON
FUSE=Kazakiri
Dark Legacy
"Awakened"
Osiris
Horus
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Necro post for a question regarding a set of names in tamni.

(v14 ch1, end of part 2) "Saigo-sensei, a gorilla-like educational guidance teacher"

(v16 ch1) "disaster-sensei (furigana:Gorilla) ... teacher in charge of student counseling"

(v13 ch8) "Report from Saigou Ryouta of Anti-Skill Branch Office 84 and Suzuyama High School." (the Anti-Skill member Saigou Ryouta also appears in other volumes, the toaru wiki gives his name as 才郷良太)

The first two are obviously the same person. My question: Is he supposed to be the same person as the Anti-Skill member in the third excerpt (Saigo vs Saigou)? I'm interested because if they are the same person, then that actually gives a name to Touma's school.

And then if not, are "Saigo-sensei" and "disaster-sensei" represented with the same kanji or kana in the original? For "disaster," one of the google translate results is 災害 (Saigai), which seems almost close enough to 'Saigo' that maybe it was a matter of one translator interpreting it as a name and the other as a word? I have absolutely no knowledge of Japanese to know if that kind of thing could happen, I was just trying to look into it as far as I could.
ultranova17
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ultranova17 »

Cthaeh wrote:Necro post for a question regarding a set of names in tamni.

(v14 ch1, end of part 2) "Saigo-sensei, a gorilla-like educational guidance teacher"

(v16 ch1) "disaster-sensei (furigana:Gorilla) ... teacher in charge of student counseling"

(v13 ch8) "Report from Saigou Ryouta of Anti-Skill Branch Office 84 and Suzuyama High School." (the Anti-Skill member Saigou Ryouta also appears in other volumes, the toaru wiki gives his name as 才郷良太)

The first two are obviously the same person. My question: Is he supposed to be the same person as the Anti-Skill member in the third excerpt (Saigo vs Saigou)? I'm interested because if they are the same person, then that actually gives a name to Touma's school.

And then if not, are "Saigo-sensei" and "disaster-sensei" represented with the same kanji or kana in the original? For "disaster," one of the google translate results is 災害 (Saigai), which seems almost close enough to 'Saigo' that maybe it was a matter of one translator interpreting it as a name and the other as a word? I have absolutely no knowledge of Japanese to know if that kind of thing could happen, I was just trying to look into it as far as I could.
Checked through what the Japanese text has.
The volume 14 text has Saigo in furigana. (災誤 as the kanji with さいご being the furigana)
翼から生活指導のゴリラ教師、災誤《さいご》センセイがのしのしと接近してきた。

Here is the first passage mentioning him in volume 16.
災誤先生《ゴリラ》が。

I don't really know Japanese, but my guess is that the teacher and the Anti-Skill are two different people since the characters for Saigou Ryouta aren't in the text.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

ultranova17 wrote: I don't really know Japanese, but my guess is that the teacher and the Anti-Skill are two different people since the characters for Saigou Ryouta aren't in the text.
Thanks, that seems to clear it up. If Saigo and Saigou were the same person, I'm sure the fans would have jumped on that connection long ago. There usually isn't that much similarity between tamni names, though the perception of similarity might not be the same in Japanese.

And the fact that Saigo's/disaster-sensei's name is represented differently in the both places of the original means that I'll leave it off my list of inconsistencies to be fixed.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

I am planning to do an edit through all chapters of Index for consistency in word choice, formatting, and terminology within the next few weeks. You can see my plans/list on my talk page if you'd like to comment or offer suggestions before I make the changes (note: the list will be deleted from my talk page after I have made the edits).

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”