To Aru Majutsu no Index - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

To Aru Majutsu no Index - Names and Terminology

Post by Darklor »

Dont you think its necessary too?

At least for some like:

Ursula Aquinas = Orsola Aquinas
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: To Aru Majutsu no Index - Names and Terminology

Post by Teh_ping »

Ah, I linked the wikia over on the TAMnI page. I'm too lazy to do one up, so I asked the wikia owner if we could link it over. He said yes. It's still a work in progress, but I really wanted to do this with others, since it'll be too taxing to do it by myself.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

btw. what is Daihaseisai, Ichihanaransai?

Darklor

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Daihaseisai is the 1 week sports festival that occurs in Academy City. It involves all the schools and is basically a competition. The kick is that powers are allowed to be used, except for level 5s since they can just dominate the competition. Covered in Volumes 9 and 10.

Ichihanaransai seems to be like a school festival or something. Not sure here, since it's not covered.
joay_b
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by joay_b »

There's a Japanese wiki entry for Ichihanaransai -- IIRC it's basically Gakuen Toshi's annual cultural festival, probably city-wide. It might probably be covered in later volumes.
まず隗より始めよ。
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

What are ligiidae? Ah, I take it back. Found it: That are Asseln (isopods)
Spoiler! :
The command system in England rests on three equal powers:

The "British Royal Family", composed of the Queen and her committee.

The "Knights of England", made up of its leader and his fellow knights.

The "Puritans", formed by the Archbishop and her believers.

The relationship between these three is as follows:

The "British Royal Family" controls the "Knights of England" through orders;

The "Knights of England" make use of the "Puritans" through political items;

And the "Puritans" manipulate the "British Royal Family" through holy advice.

The trinity formed by these three powers creates a sense of unparalleled beauty. If one side were to act on its own, the other two would create a large commotion through several means, and prevent the first side from acting on it. However, the reason Britain has "the most complicated Christian culture in the world" isn’t just that.

"Britain", also known as the United Kingdom, is made of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Up until today, some places still use their own currency.

Even if they belong to the same "Puritan" sect, there can still be quarrels among its members, such as between England and Wales. On the contrary, even if they were to belong to the "Puritans" and the "Knights", if they’re both Scottish, they might secretly smuggle some money or information out. The reason the decoder Sherry Cromwell betrayed the Puritans wasn’t just that she had her own motives; her culture also influenced her passively.

Three sects, four cultures.
Hm I wouldnt call the Britih Royal Familiy a sect... but would rather say: Three factions, four cultures... ?

Also is it really Puritan? not Anglican? Werent the Puritans a Anglican sect which were driven out of UK?

Darklor

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Ah, that question again.
Teh_ping wrote:Good question. Yes, I'm bothered by this nagging issue as well. The primary reason why I translated it as 'Puritan' is because of this,
I’m not of the Vatican, but of the British Puritans (Note: This is a fake religious sect that the author made up).
In Japanese and Chinese, 清教 means 'Puritan'. For Chinese and Japanese, 'Anglican' is called 聖公会.

Also partly because I'm an Anglican as well.

However, what I don't understand is why Volume 7 Chapter 3 is called Anglican Church?

PS: Maybe I should start changing all the 'British' to 'English'?
Quirriff wrote:Volume 7's chapter title list does seem to strongly suggest it's supposed to be the Anglican Church.

Through educated reasoning I would guess it's the way the author has chosen to translate it (From English to Japanese), maybe it is easier to pronounce and rolls off the tongue easier for a Japanese.
And it's my understanding that foreign words are not writen in Kanji but Katakana, so having Anglican in kanji form would be incorrect to some people.
I wanted to change it to Anglican, but got too lazy to change it.

And I wouldn't put it as faction because a faction would mean they are all of the same group, which they aren't.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Darklor

Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Are you sure that this is made up by the author:
Note that the Russian Orthodox is also another sect that the author made up
?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Orthodox_Church

Darklor

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Tell me about it. I've been using an online Chinese text for this. Maybe I shouldn't have left the notes there, since they do exist (well, I'm an Anglican).

EDIT: Well, after checking the original Japanese RAWs, which I only managed to download just now, looks like it's my fault here.
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

The Japanese names for the various Christian denominations seems to indicate Kamachi Kazuma is using his own version of translations rather than the commonly used ones - probably part of his intention to distinguish these factions in the Index-verse than in our world.
Also is it really Puritan? not Anglican? Werent the Puritans a Anglican sect which were driven out of UK?
In the beginning of the series, I didn't seem to see this as a problem as it could mean Index comes from a Puritan sect separate from the Anglican Church. But later episodes seem to confirm that this is indeed the Anglican Church.

So perhaps it's safe to translate 清教 as Anglican Church.

Just as there's a rivalry between the Roman Catholic and Anglican mages in Hellsing, with the former hating the latters' guts, seeing them as nothing but heretical splitters, we have something similar in the Index-verse, though the Russian Orthodox are thrown into the mix as well.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Uhm why has a anonymous changed all esper(s) to ESPer? I mean what was the reason for that?

Darklor

Snorca
Mikuru's Master

Post by Snorca »

Not that I'm the one that made those changes, but that was typically how I read it. In my mind, espers are spirits, ESPers are people with ESP.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Nope an esper is a with paranormal abilities talented human... - also I dont know of any spirits called espers... :?

It may have started with ESP as short for Extrasensory perception, but esper is now used as a normal noun.

Also ESP alone wouldnt include all psi abilities...

Darklor

Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... x#Churches
The so-called canon translations aren't invented by me or Joay or any other translator. When I said Volume 7, I meant the chapter titles of volume 7. The names on the main page, they're canon, we didn't do anything except removing the japanese text. Of course, if we're to go by our own common knowledge, cult would be the better term, but it'll feel a lot less familiar.
So for the titles:

# Chapter 2: The Roman Catholic Church.
# Chapter 3: Anglican Church.
# Chapter 4: AMAKUSA Style Remix of Church.

of volume 7 were used the formal Japanese translations for the Churches while in the novel itself the author used only the self created derivates?

If the Churches are realy made up by the author as mentioned somewhere shouldnt then イギリス清教, ローマ正教, ロシア成教 and 天草式十字凄教 be British Puritan, Roman Orthodox, Russian 成(?) and Amakusa(n) 凄 (? unorthodox) faith or doctrine instead of Roman Catholic and Russian Orthodox Church?

Has the author himself said that he had made up those names / Churches or was that a Chinese translator?

Maybe they are meant as factions of the traditionaly known Churches? And because of that they are called cults or sects?

Darklor

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”