Poll: To Aru Majutsu no Index Chapter Titles

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

What format do you want the titles on the main page to follow?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:03 am

1) Author's English only (eg: FAIR,_Occasionally_GIRL.)
21%
2) Original LN titles (eg: イギリス清教 Anglican_Church.)
18%
3) Translated LN titles + Author's English (eg: Begin Action — The_Page_is_Opened.)
46%
4) Romanised version + Author's English (eg: Kōdō Kaishi. The_Page_is_Opened.)
No votes
5) Chapter 1, chapter 2, blah blah blah.
No votes
6) As they were last before the beginning of the edit war
14%

Total votes: 28

Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Poll: To Aru Majutsu no Index Chapter Titles

Post by Enigma »

Suzuku wrote:Yeah, it was before the edit war, so vote for it if you didn't. And like RIP OM said, what's the difference between options 1 and 6? Seeing as they're the same thing, are we going to lump the votes together?
The difference would be the underlines, I assume.

Basically,
Option 1: Prologue: The_Page_is_Opened. (Author's English)
Option 6: Prologue: The Page is Opened. (Regular English (though with the later titles, he throws other symbols in, like N∴L∴ or Dragon(≠Angel).))
Darklor wrote:Maybe you should put that into a new own thread?
I'm just replying in the thread it's already in. Someone with admin-like copy & paste abilities can fix it if they'd rather it be in another thread.
Darklor wrote:Also wasnt she the one who says Miska Misaka?
Last Order does emphasize Misaka twice, but it isn't just "Misaka Misaka (ミサカミサカ)", but something that doesn't translate all that well (ミサカはミサカは). Wow, look at me like, acting as if I actually have enough knowledge on the language to try to explain it. I wonder how Funimation is going to handle it... (Assuming they haven't already and I'm out of date.)
Wilfribakc
Astral Realm

Post by Wilfribakc »

@Teh_Ping: I used Wilfribakc because when I try to use original name the website it rejects me -_-;.

[quote]The username you entered is already in use, please select an alternative.[/quote]

About Last Order:
I saw this in the translatios:
"Misaka Misaka..." and "Misaka as Misaka..." as far I can understand the texts says in japanesse something like "Misaka wa Misaka wa" I wonder if there are more ways to understand it.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Teh_ping wrote:
In response to your question, Suzuku, yes, they're the same.

Do we have to re-create the poll again? (Okay, not me.)
They arent: 1 is with underlines; 6 without...

Hmm too bad in the english wiki they have it only as:
Like her older clone sisters, she speaks in third person with a description, except she says "Misaka" twice.
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Kadi
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Kadi »

Well, in Japanese, it's Misaka ha/wa Misaka ha/wa. ha/wa is the so called topic particle, so the word before the particle sets the topic for the sentence. It can be similar to the subject of a sentence, but it's far from limited to that. And I think that why they are hesitant about just repeating Misaka twice for Last Order.

And to return to the topic at least a little bit: I doubt this poll will have much significance. For example, I'd assume most people who voted 6 will be fine with 1. I know I am. So I suggest you pick a small group to decide, and those people review the posts in this thread, weigh the advantages and disadvantages and decide on what they want to go with. Everything else will just end up in a total mess. Or only a minority might be happy with it. Just saying.
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

But this particle has no counterpart in the Englih language?

btw. Sisters speech pattern can now be discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=3569

Darklor

Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Nope, there's no counterpart. You might be able to create a workaround that works wherever "ha/wa" comes up, but that would be totally messy. Like "Regarding the topic of Misaka regarding the topic of Misaka...". You get the point.

Ohh, I could have mentioned it earlier, but (because of that ha/wa particle), Japanese can be categorized as topic-based/-centric language or whatever it was called, and most Western languages should be subject-based/-centric, indicating that there are no real equivalents.

Now, sorry for posting something off-topic again, but there's nothing left for me to say regarding the chapter titles, and it would be odd to start with this on the new thread... MEHH, whatever ~~
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Suzuku
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Suzuku »

So when will the poll close?
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

90 days
Suzuku
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Suzuku »

Well, upon further thought it probably would be best to keep the original titles along with the English titles, but we still need a better format for it than "Prologue: The Story of the Imagine Breaker Boy — The_Imagine-Breaker." I was thinking of trying something similar to what's done in the Zero no Tsukaima project, where they have the translated title of the volume and then the Kanji after it, but just apply it to the chapters. It would be somewhat similar to Darklor's example in the discussion page, except the links would be with the English title and the original Japanese would be bolded. For example:
Prologue: The Story of the Imagine Breaker Boy/幻想殺しの少年のお話
This way we have the raw, untranslated title out in the open for easy comparison and also a standardized translation of the title discussed amongst the translators. Oh, speaking of that, might I just suggest we change "The Story of the Imagine Breaker Boy" to "The Tale of the Imagine Breaker Boy"? "Tale" fits "お話/Ohanashi" better than "story". Also, are we sure that the original title should be "Imagine Breaker Boy" and not "Illusion Killer Boy"? It seems to me that Kamachi had the intention of using the literal meaning in the title and then making it clear what he meant in the English title, "The_Imagine-Breaker".

Of course, I realize the irony in me saying this, as translation differences are one of the problems with having the translated titles. To that extent, we should probably have a thread solely for the purpose of debating chapter title translations in here.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Chapter titles discussions are allright here - results could even be added to the first page...

Darklor

MerrickXasis
Astral Realm

Post by MerrickXasis »

[quote="Darklor"]You need to have here also an own acount to vote. An Anonymous cant vote...

btw. I created a example for another format style: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ex#Example What do you think better / worse?[/quote]

Wait really?
I'm sure I voted on many polls before, and I definitely had no login...
or were they polls designed to allow anonymous voting?
Suzuku
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Suzuku »

Hm, isn't 90 days a bit long? It's going to be painful looking at the page in limbo like that for a whole three months.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

Suzuku wrote:It's going to be painful looking at the page in limbo like that for a whole three months.
Why? The current page corresponds to the option currently with the most votes (option 3).
Suzuku
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Suzuku »

Vaelis wrote:
Suzuku wrote:It's going to be painful looking at the page in limbo like that for a whole three months.
Why? The current page corresponds to the option currently with the most votes (option 3).
Suzuku wrote:Well, upon further thought it probably would be best to keep the original titles along with the English titles, but we still need a better format for it than "Prologue: The Story of the Imagine Breaker Boy — The_Imagine-Breaker." I was thinking of trying something similar to what's done in the Zero no Tsukaima project, where they have the translated title of the volume and then the Kanji after it, but just apply it to the chapters. It would be somewhat similar to Darklor's example in the discussion page, except the links would be with the English title and the original Japanese would be bolded. For example:
Prologue: The Story of the Imagine Breaker Boy/幻想殺しの少年のお話
This way we have the raw, untranslated title out in the open for easy comparison and also a standardized translation of the title discussed amongst the translators. Oh, speaking of that, might I just suggest we change "The Story of the Imagine Breaker Boy" to "The Tale of the Imagine Breaker Boy"? "Tale" fits "お話/Ohanashi" better than "story". Also, are we sure that the original title should be "Imagine Breaker Boy" and not "Illusion Killer Boy"? It seems to me that Kamachi had the intention of using the literal meaning in the title and then making it clear what he meant in the English title, "The_Imagine-Breaker".

Of course, I realize the irony in me saying this, as translation differences are one of the problems with having the translated titles. To that extent, we should probably have a thread solely for the purpose of debating chapter title translations in here.
That's why. The current format is just not a good way to display both the Japanese titles and the English titles, which was my problem with it in the first place. imo we should be discussing how to implement adding both titles now, since it seems the winning consensus will be that we should. 90 days is a bit long to be waiting to advance to that level of conversation; unless I can just make the edits now, which I don't think anyone will appreciate after we just had an edit war concerning the titles. But of course, this time around it would just be for the purpose of improving the format, rather than completely changing the way the chapter are set up.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Hmm, I didnt thought that 90 days would be too long... but I think it can get shortened if all parties involved could accept the result after this short time or would agree to a compromise or another version not included in the poll

btw. I think one rule should remain: the original title should remain in the wiki and no question marks as long as a title isnt translated

Darklor

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”