Poll: To Aru Majutsu no Index Chapter Titles

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

What format do you want the titles on the main page to follow?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:03 am

1) Author's English only (eg: FAIR,_Occasionally_GIRL.)
21%
2) Original LN titles (eg: イギリス清教 Anglican_Church.)
18%
3) Translated LN titles + Author's English (eg: Begin Action — The_Page_is_Opened.)
46%
4) Romanised version + Author's English (eg: Kōdō Kaishi. The_Page_is_Opened.)
No votes
5) Chapter 1, chapter 2, blah blah blah.
No votes
6) As they were last before the beginning of the edit war
14%

Total votes: 28

Snorca
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Poll: To Aru Majutsu no Index Chapter Titles

Post by Snorca »

I prefer the English only that was as before. Giving the additional translated parts seems to rather redundant for most parts. When it isn't redundant, it seems to give more than needed information. It's like when newspaper give headlines that are catchy but would lose effect once they add more details.

For example: "Grandma Puts Hole in One" If someone were to put anymore information, the reader would instantly learn that the article was about a grandmother having shot one of her grandchild instead of putting a hole-in-one in golf.

Some things are better left ambiguous and short.
RIP OM
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by RIP OM »

the new chapter titles seem too long. The way it was before was much better. Also the chapter titles on the content pages are English only as well.

btw what is the difference between option 1 and 6
Suzuku
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Suzuku »

Darklor wrote:But I think also as long as the chapter (title) isnt translated the japanese original title should be kept! - instaed a "(?)"
Yeah, I don't want those either, there's really no point in having them there.
MerrickXasis
Astral Realm

Post by MerrickXasis »

Not sure if it's my computer, my browser, or the forum itself, but I can't seem to vote.

However, I'd vote for Option 2 (Original LN titles).
If there's some way for one of you guys to "proxy vote" for me or something, it would be appreciated.
Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

RIP OM wrote:the new chapter titles seem too long. The way it was before was much better. Also the chapter titles on the content pages are English only as well.
They aren't only English. The way it's formatted is: Page number with chapter number overlapping with it (in Japanese), Japanese title, then English title.
Snorca wrote:When it isn't redundant, it seems to give more than needed information. It's like when newspaper give headlines that are catchy but would lose effect once they add more details.
While it's usually shorter in Japanese because, well, us English and our words & syllables, the Japanese read the occasionally unnecessarily informative titles, and probably at least have the means to look up what the shorter English title means. And remember, chapter titles have two jobs: to interest the reader and underline the main point of a chapter. I can say they emphasize the point of a chapter (too) well, but due to being spoiled to all hell, the chapter titles actually have little interest to me until I read the chapter. And they're rarely redundant, though they are often related.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

MerrickXasis wrote:Not sure if it's my computer, my browser, or the forum itself, but I can't seem to vote.

However, I'd vote for Option 2 (Original LN titles).
If there's some way for one of you guys to "proxy vote" for me or something, it would be appreciated.
You need to have here also an own acount to vote. An Anonymous cant vote...

btw. I created a example for another format style: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ex#Example What do you think better / worse?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Tact
Reader

Post by Tact »

I liked it best when the main page was mimicking the Tables of Contents.

Taking Volume 7 as an example:

Prologue: The Page is Opened.
Chapter 1: Science Worship.
Chapter 2: The Roman Catholic Church.
Chapter 3: Anglican Church.
Chapter 4: AMAKUSA Style Remix of Church.
Epilogue: The Page is Shut.

If this was before the edit wars, then this is my choice.
Wilfribakc
Astral Realm

Post by Wilfribakc »

Seriously, I can't log in, and what is worst is the page says I exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. And that was about a month ago...

Well, just keep the english part of the title on the list, and the translated version of it within the chapter/translated part.

Now I leave the decision to the poll, also Enigma, I didn't get your point so I went and deleted the changes I did, fine?
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Wilfribakc wrote:Seriously, I can't log in, and what is worst is the page says I exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. And that was about a month ago...

You could try and ask an administrator...

Darklor

Enigma
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

Here, I used my lackluster photoshop abilities to make a translated version of the volume 22 contents page to better show my earlier point using the volume 22 translations with some changes of my own:
Spoiler! :
Apologies that I had to move the English titles to the right, but as stated earlier, the English translations can get really long in comparison.

Also, I did change my vote to just the author's English versions of the titles because it really just is way too much clutter.
Wilfribakc wrote:also Enigma, I didn't get your point
My point was that I didn't quite agree with some of the translations, as in I don't think some of them were quite that accurate of translations.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Wilfri, your I.D is Wilfriback, not Wilfribakc.

And while
Spoiler! :
world war 3
ended in the Indexverse, we have world edit war over here.

Another thing that Joay and I want to discuss and standardise now is the speech pattern of the SISTERs and especially LO. Joay's opinion is this:
joay_b wrote:Hmm, that one's a toughie. Not only we're setting on a single speech pattern for Last Order, we're setting also a single speech pattern for the rest of the Sisters.

The best I can think for now is to compile a sampling of what the Sisters said (including Last Order), open a thread for this one, and discuss from there.

But here's my sample ...

「ミサカは一人でもタクシーに乗れるもん、ってミサカはミサカは胸を張って宣言してみる」

" 'Misaka can ride in the taxi alone', says Misaka as Misaka tries to announce with pride."
and I want to change to it, so editors, please?
Enigma
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

Teh_ping wrote:Another thing that Joay and I want to discuss and standardise now is the speech pattern of the SISTERs and especially LO.

I want to change to it, so editors, please?
I was actually going to bring this up after we settled the other issues (although I was also going to do so before them...), so this saves me the trouble, I suppose.

Though concerned that this'll completely derail the thread, I did come across one issue. Basically, Last Order uses her "Misaka wa Misaka wa" without the quoting particle, so I improvised. I also did a quick search through volumes 12, 13, and 15 to use as a reference, but she doesn't appear to do it anywhere else. Anyway, the English and Japanese texts:
Spoiler! :
Japanese text wrote:『まぁまぁまぁまぁ、ってミサカはミサカはなだめてみたり。気恥ずかしいのは分かるけどミサカはミサカはちゃんとバスタオル装備してるんだから。あんまり意識すると逆にキツイぞ、ってミサカはミサカは人生の先輩としてアドバイスを贈ってみる』
Translated text wrote:“‘Don’t be agitated, don’t be agitated,’ says Misaka as Misaka comforts you. ‘Misaka knows that you’re embarrassed,’ although Misaka verifies Misaka is properly wrapped in a bath towel. ‘The atmosphere will be even more awkward if you’re mindful of it,’ says Misaka as Misaka gives advice as a lifetime elder.”
So, it'd be nice if I could get a translator's opinion on how to make it work better.

Edit: While I'm derailing the thread horrifically, I might as well ask what you two (Ping and Joay) think of the furigana font I was doing for volume 13 (where instead of having a meaning in parentheses, it's above the text in a smaller text) that I pretty much stole from a certain other Baka-tsuki project. All I know it does is make the pdf-making people annoyed.
Last edited by Enigma on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Maybe you should put that into a new own thread?

Also wasnt she the one who says Miska Misaka?

Darklor

Suzuku
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Suzuku »

Tact wrote:I liked it best when the main page was mimicking the Tables of Contents.

Yeah, it was before the edit war, so vote for it if you didn't. And like RIP OM said, what's the difference between options 1 and 6? Seeing as they're the same thing, are we going to lump the votes together?
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Suzuku wrote:
Tact wrote:I liked it best when the main page was mimicking the Tables of Contents.

Yeah, it was before the edit war, so vote for it if you didn't. And like RIP OM said, what's the difference between options 1 and 6? Seeing as they're the same thing, are we going to lump the votes together?
In response to your question, Suzuku, yes, they're the same.

Do we have to re-create the poll again? (Okay, not me.)

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”