Accel World

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Sacredus
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Accel World

Post by Sacredus »

Not sure if this was posted so... Bookdepository AC page says that 1 vol will be out on 22 July 2014.
bakabaka
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by bakabaka »

Hi^^
I haven't read Accel World yet, but it seems to get a lot of attention.
It's just...I can't get over the fact that the protagonist is fat. Okay I know I'm being biased but I just can't take him serious. I watched some anime screenshots of the mc and the way they showed him made me think, no way I'm watching this. He wasn't even drawn like a normal fat anime character, he looked like some chibi cartoon animal that isn't from this world. I don't want to say that this series sucks or anything since I didn't even read it yet.
I'm posting this because I want know the reason why you are reading Accel World. Is my way of thinking wrong? Am I missing out on an awesome series because of it?
Maybe you can persuade me to give this novel a chance.
spaceman1997
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by spaceman1997 »

Personally I can't stand Hima's ilustrations of the main protagonist. However, I believe that part of the reason for this is because the novels are writen entirely from Haruyuki's perspective, who has a self-confidence in the negatives. Because of this, the main charactor glorifies just about everyone in the seried while severly short-selling himself. Unfortunately Hima, the illustrater, based her drawlings off of Haruyuki's view of himself, rather than what he actually should look like.

My advice is to do what I do, ignore all the non-combat pictures and just focus on the story itself. Haruyuki is a good charactor, just make shure to spend some time reading between the lines to get a feel for what is actually going on.
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator

Post by Ushwood »

IMHO anime character designers screwed up with Haruyuki's character a lot. It's absolultely not HIMA's fault.

Compare how Haruyuki and KYH look compared to each other in the ranobe and the anime:
That's why anime watchers get the impression of "some chibi cartoon animal that isn't from this world" which Haruyuki absolutely doesn't deserve.

Trivia: Haruyuki's height is ~165 cm ;).
Intrepid
Kyonist

Post by Intrepid »

While a lot of people don't give the series a chance almost entirely because of Haruyuki's appearance, I feel that that reason is, frankly, shallow and pathetic (no offense, bakabaka). Not every protagonist is someone who is physically attractive, strong, or can otherwise allow the audience to project themselves onto, but Haruyuki has several amazing qualities, being kind to a fault, a willingness to never give up, treasures his friends, and finds hope in despair. Kuroyukihime is able to look past a lot of these issues that would bother other people about him, and in the process, Haruyuki's growth as a character is amazing to see. His dedication to her and his friends allows him to pull of amazing feats throughout the series (that I won't go into because of spoilers) that would seem impossible to others, and in the process, develops a kind of strength that rivals and even exceeds just being strong in the normal sense of the word.

Every main character, regardless of who they are, has a story to tell, and in Haruyuki's case, rather than finding him ugly, fat, or a crybaby, I actually have a lot of respect for him as a character.

I myself am biased towards liking the series, but it's also because I'm tired of all the comments I see online where people won't even give the series a chance just because they don't like the MC's appearance. Bakabaka, I actually give you a lot of credit for even considering the series when others would have just scoffed and moved on. Whether you end up liking the series is up to you, but I definitely recommend giving it a try.

BTW, sorry for the long post. This is something I've been thinking about for a while now, and this was a good opportunity for me to voice it.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Well, Sacredeus already put one link to purchase, but I'll add the Amazon link for volume 1 as well. And just for completeness, here's the Yen Press volume 1 page.
bakabaka
Vice Commander Itsuki

Post by bakabaka »

Thanks for responding and thanks for the credits :lol:
Having read that I will have to give this light novel a chance.
echelon64
Astral Realm

Post by echelon64 »

I'm not sure if anyone is peering in here anymore but I wanted to ask a quick question.

I saw on the front page for Accel World that the first Volume is getting released sometime in July however, looking at Yen Press' date it shows that the 1st Volume of Accel World: Manga is getting released instead:
Is it wrong, am I missing the LN release somewhere or does the Manga release also affect any possible LN translations?
acolyte
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by acolyte »

Aw didn't notice that this series is getting taken down soon :(
Not that attached to this series because I watched the anime before starting the LN but hopefully Yen Press do a good job in translating all the volumes~
I'm amazed at their translation speed for Spice&Wolf (although of course never as fast as fan translations) so hopefully they do justice with SAO and Accel World too^^
echelon64 wrote:I'm not sure if anyone is peering in here anymore but I wanted to ask a quick question.

I saw on the front page for Accel World that the first Volume is getting released sometime in July however, looking at Yen Press' date it shows that the 1st Volume of Accel World: Manga is getting released instead:
Is it wrong, am I missing the LN release somewhere or does the Manga release also affect any possible LN translations?
http://www.yenpress.com/accel-world-novel/ ?
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

22:03 - TLG inquires if there is someone who has been handling Accel World. Committee replies no. Topic is not mentioned again.
This is kinda sad...

Anyway, I think we should delete this project soon, it's better to be safe after all (instead of stretching it until last moment like SAO). And unlike SAO which had "deletion schedule", I think it's fine to delete AW in one go since almost all of the translated chapters are the early ones.
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

Post by theUnbreakableSky »

Aw shit, I don't check this forum for over a month, and...
22:03 - TLG inquires if there is someone who has been handling Accel World. Committee replies no. Topic is not mentioned again.
If you mean 'handling' as in 'translating,' I'm very much alive, thank you very much. Perhaps someone can point me to the appropriate thread?
Anyway, I think we should delete this project soon, it's better to be safe after all (instead of stretching it until last moment like SAO). And unlike SAO which had "deletion schedule", I think it's fine to delete AW in one go since almost all of the translated chapters are the early ones.
Hold it off for at least a month, please. I'm busy downloading everything from AW's page and deletion will make all my efforts moot because I'd have to redo all the images and stuff. Thanks!
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

theUnbreakableSky wrote:If you mean 'handling' as in 'translating,' I'm very much alive, thank you very much. Perhaps someone can point me to the appropriate thread?
Actually, it more of managing the project as a whole.

You may refer to viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10287
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

Post by theUnbreakableSky »

Alright, thanks. I'll see what I can do from there onwards.
dalek
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Date A Live :)
...but since it's down, I'm in limbo...
so it's going to be ZnT if it's still up.

Post by dalek »

After reading stuff about it, time STOPS. So I could cheat on exams, do things unnoticed in the real world, eh? Sounds like what I would want! Get me in on this!
Spoiler! :
RoR account:s04
XDA account:i747m
BT username:dalek
Open the spoiler, it is the box...
Spoiler! :
Watch it all and you are a box god.
...open the box, my friend...
Lexi Hayes
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Lexi Hayes »

accel world is on of my favorite anime which has engaging elements like fantasy, action, romance, and drama and there are also many anime like accel world which are more interesting you can check them here: https://www.techshout.com/animes-like-sword-art-online/

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”