Sword Art Online

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by Tap »

If we go with Commander, Knight Commander would be Bercouli, while Deputy Knight Commander would be Fanatio.

We kicked and re-added you the last time you PMed me.
I honestly doubt that's the problem though, can you talk to anyone else? Tried re-installing?

And rkl, where did Kunori say he's participating in COMITIA?
His Twitter's so dead nowadays.
reekilynn
Astral Realm

Post by reekilynn »

Tap wrote:If we go with Commander, Knight Commander would be Bercouli, while Deputy Knight Commander would be Fanatio.

We kicked and re-added you the last time you PMed me.
I honestly doubt that's the problem though, can you talk to anyone else? Tried re-installing?

And rkl, where did Kunori say he's participating in COMITIA?
His Twitter's so dead nowadays.
The official site of comitia shows the participation of wordgear.
However, his partner, Kurusu Tatsuya (known as the illustrator of page8 from volume 9) on twitter (ponz.info) said kunori and him would only take message paper to comitia.
BTW, based on the experience before, the message paper may be free for customers.
Sacredus
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sacredus »

Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Yay official release. Guess I'll have to buy it.

btw, I support taking it down from BT early, even before the cease and desist comes in.
royaloyalz
Project Editor

Post by royaloyalz »

Cthaeh wrote:
Yay official release. Guess I'll have to buy it.

btw, I support taking it down from BT early, even before the cease and desist comes in.
And what are your reasons for that?

I personally think that it should be kept up for as long as possible to allow people to enjoy it for as long as they can before it has to be taken down.

And sure, buy it. It will come at around 3 volumes per year, so that would mean you will have to wait at least 4 years before it will reach volume 12/13, and by then SAO may have already ended and we will be stuck at the same place we are at right now, at 2013, when it hits 2017.

Not saying that I don't support this, but I hope they are more flexible with this issue. Fat hope though, since it is America after all. :roll:
Don't you just love reading? I think it is one of the joys of life, where we can escape the cold reality of the world and exist in something so much more fun and exciting! ^_^
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

Is Tap still gonna translate it on his own? I don't want to wait years to finally read v13 if SAO ever reaches it and doesn't turn out like Shakugan no Shana did in the US and get dropped after a couple of volumes.
royaloyalz
Project Editor

Post by royaloyalz »

Gohankuten wrote:Is Tap still gonna translate it on his own? I don't want to wait years to finally read v13 if SAO ever reaches it and doesn't turn out like Shakugan no Shana did in the US and get dropped after a couple of volumes.
He is going to continue until they tell him to stop.

Yen Press is doing a good job with Spice and Wolf, so I think it should be fine and won't turn out like Shakugan.
Don't you just love reading? I think it is one of the joys of life, where we can escape the cold reality of the world and exist in something so much more fun and exciting! ^_^
MyGawd
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by MyGawd »

i had a feeling this will happen after seeing the dubbed version of the anime... well gotta say that it's a heavy feeling i'm feeling right now. I'll buy the whole set for sure but i do hope the release for Eng SAO would be one volume a month which would be unrealistic.
Last edited by MyGawd on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empire's Strongest
royaloyalz
Project Editor

Post by royaloyalz »

MyGawd wrote:Well guys i guess the time where we had abandon the project is near. i guess somewhere early next year. i had a feeling this will happen after seeing the dubbed version of the anime... well gotta say that it's a heavy feeling i'm feeling right now. well if they do abandoned the project someone might have a hard copy here ... but let not hope it turns like that. But let enjoy this project while it is still up and running. ಥ⌣ಥ
Actually, it comes as early as next month. So do get whatever you want from BT right now. Stop procrastinating and do it now! 8)
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

royaloyalz wrote:
Cthaeh wrote: Yay official release. Guess I'll have to buy it.

And what are your reasons for that?

I personally think that it should be kept up for as long as possible to allow people to enjoy it for as long as they can before it has to be taken down.

And sure, buy it. It will come at around 3 volumes per year, so that would mean you will have to wait at least 4 years before it will reach volume 12/13, and by then SAO may have already ended and we will be stuck at the same place we are at right now, at 2013, when it hits 2017.

Not saying that I don't support this, but I hope they are more flexible with this issue. Fat hope though, since it is America after all. :roll:
I just think doing so is the best option currently available for supporting the official English release; and supporting the official English release is what I value the highest. Where I probably differ the most from the majority is that I'm willing to wait for the official release as a form of support.
M.A.D
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by M.A.D »

I don't really mind having SAO taken down due to licensing, but I'm more worried about what's going to happen to all the extra materials? We all know that there are a LOT of these extras that are not part of the main series. There are web-only materials, DVD bonus stories, chapter 16.5, other side-stories, "official" doujinshi stories, Progressive spin-off, chapter 16.5, etc... All of these things are small individual stories on their own, so I doubt they would ever see the light of a publish house. Especially the Material Edition stories and the EX stories taken from the web page. Heck, even Progressive might not be even included in the licensing deal of Yen Press despite being a published book itself, because it sounds to me that they only licensed the main published novel and 2 mangas. Meaning, EVERYTHING outside the 12 translated volumes of SAO and the two mangas will be lost to the Internet if you guys take them down too.

In my opinion, you should only take down the main novels, maybe even Progressive too for good measures, but leave everything else as they are until YP actually asks to take them down. At the very least, I really want to see future side-stories to be translated and put here, but there might not be enough incentive for translators to do so if the project itself is labeled Abandoned.
Cthaeh wrote: I just think doing so is the best option currently available for supporting the official English release; and supporting the official English release is what I value the highest. Where I probably differ the most from the majority is that I'm willing to wait for the official release as a form of support.
On the contratry, I think that leaving this series longer on B-T would boost popularity (and market share) for the novel among English readers. In fact, if the series weren't fully translated on B-T, I doubt it would be as popular among English readers as it is now, and Yen Press might not license it in the first place. It's basically free advertisement, really, and it's the same for my opinion above about leaving the side stories on B-T.

Besides, it's only until next month. Not a terribly long time that Yen Press' sales could be negatively affected. If any, having this series on BT ensured that sales would be higher, since it's already popular before it was sold. You can't buy this kind of popularity.
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator

Post by Ushwood »

M.A.D wrote:There are web-only materials, DVD bonus stories, chapter 16.5, other side-stories, "official" doujinshi stories, Progressive spin-off, chapter 16.5, etc...
Looks like you care the most about 16.5 :lol:
(which is not on the site btw)
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

...Hasn't anyone read the updated announcement...? (Then again, we may delete the pages without warning depending on when Big Boss returns)

Anyway, we will most certainly be removing every content related to AW and SAO in English on BT. Yes, every. The rationale is that though there are web versions and such, BT is mainly a supporter for the main series that is being sold by Dengeki Bunko. Now that the series are licensed, BT's purpose as a 'sampling ground' is fulfilled as a result, and we will fully comply by any wishes made by any corporate group who wishes to license the series we have (and more importantly, release translations). The web novels and material editions are not safe from deletion, and there won't be any second opinion on this. Do understand that with the licensing, BT will dissociate itself from any English translations pertaining to these series, whether they are official or not.

As for the issue of Progressive, do understand that it will basically be just like what happened to the 'Bungaku Shoujo' project, where even the short stories are taken off.

Alternate Languages are safe since they do not fall under US law in this regard.

...Yes, I am still miffed about the impending deletion, especially volumes 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10...but I can't do anything about it either. It is difficult for me, who had two series lost to licensing, to tell others to just let go, especially after all the efforts in doing so, but do take solace in that while the physical results of translating will be removed, the intangible results (popularity and reputation) still lingers on, and its because of the intangibles that (partly) allows the LNs to be commericalized. To all those who contributed to the projects in some way or another, give yourself a pat on the back.

...And to those who think that Yen Press will basically be leeching all the hard work we have, let me put it this way: they're in a different league from us, why should they copy us?

...And to those mainly concerned about 16.5, don't you dare expect it to be part of the official releases.

At this point, the sales for the series will only depend on whether the fans want to support the author or not, because, if I have to put it bluntly, most want to leech and read here simply because it's free, rather than fork out 10 USD for a paperback. We already have most of the volumes out here. The purpose of buying the books will simply be reduced to 'supporting the author', that's all.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

M.A.D wrote:On the contratry, I think that leaving this series longer on B-T would boost popularity (and market share) for the novel among English readers. In fact, if the series weren't fully translated on B-T, I doubt it would be as popular among English readers as it is now, and Yen Press might not license it in the first place. It's basically free advertisement, really, and it's the same for my opinion above about leaving the side stories on B-T.

Besides, it's only until next month. Not a terribly long time that Yen Press' sales could be negatively affected. If any, having this series on BT ensured that sales would be higher, since it's already popular before it was sold. You can't buy this kind of popularity.
I acknowledge that that may be true, and I'd be more likely to believe BT has had that effect in the long run. There's no way to know for sure, but my guess is that the number of new visitors in the next month who say "wow this is good, I'm going to buy it" will be less than the number of people who say "I don't want to have to buy this, so I'll download it while I can" (or even if they intend to buy it, will have lost interest by the time of the official release). Actually, I think the likeliest reality is that the sales figures won't be affected all that much by whatever BT does in the next month. Anyone who really doesn't want to buy it will be able to find the translation even after BT takes it down, so it's more the principle of the matter. The BT admins/supervisors seem to have settled on a course of action already, so this discussion is just academic anyways.
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

You guys should stop discussing this and grab all the PDFs you can, before it all goes poof without warning and you have to wait years for Yen Press to catch up. :P

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”