Sword Art Online

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Assassin
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by Assassin »

Hmm, I didn't notice this was up already. Which is good since I spotted one of these in my local Kinokuniya.

Thanks for the translations! I'll be checking this out later. :D
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

Reki Kawahara finally got accepted by MAL: http://myanimelist.net/people.php?id=9696

On that note, anyone here tried his other work Accel World ?
Daybreak Project
"You crazy b@stard! I'm gonna treat you like shit until you reveal your true form!!!"
"NO WAY. Over my dead, resurrected and killed again body." -- Kadi, when given a proposal about leaving [Miko-moe] 'as is' in TL.
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

Aorii wrote:Reki Kawahara finally got accepted by MAL: http://myanimelist.net/people.php?id=9696

Flipped through the novels and some brief talks of the content to get an idea of what might interest me, unfortunately nothing made a point of interest for me in that novel...
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Assassin wrote:
Aorii wrote:Reki Kawahara finally got accepted by MAL: http://myanimelist.net/people.php?id=9696

Flipped through the novels and some brief talks of the content to get an idea of what might interest me, unfortunately nothing made a point of interest for me in that novel...
Oh, Accel World is by him? Yes, I did try it, and I quite like it. I read both volumes I found.

Accel World is a program that basically accelerates one's brain signals. Since brain signals are still only electric signals, someone designed a program to speed it up endlessly, and making it into something like a game. Not everyone is fit to join, only people with specialties, for example high reflexes etc etc, the true requirements not clearly stated. The setting of the story is in a future, or some other sci-fic world out there. A device is developed for people to have direct connections by modifying their body. Having this device since young is one of the requirements for Accel World. The program also can affect the real world, as time as they time burst seems very slow, giving them time to think, but not act, as only their brains are accelerated, but not their bodies. Each win gets them some points, get enough points and they will gain levels. Lose and they lose some points. Each time burst spends 1 point or so. Once they run out of points, Accel World auto deletes itself, never to be installed again.

The protagonist, Haruyuki, is a fat boy that is bullied in School. He is quite skilled at playing games, but he tends NOT to play around his area. Reason? If he plays too well and gets seen by the bullies, he will get bullied. When you connect to a server, you have an avatar, and Haruyuki once made a cool black knight avatar, only to be found by the bullies and have it stolen. They forced him to use a basic pig avatar since.

Haruyuki played a simple game in the school server to pass time, and was eventually noticed by his senior, Snow Black, to have the capabilities to join Accel World. And he was slowly led into Snow Black's plan to get away from her pursuers.

Snow Black later explains the truth to Haruyuki, that she is one of the few players that got to the second highest level. She worked hard with a bunch of friends to finally reach that level, only to realise the harsh truth, that they have to kill each other to achieve the last level. Rather, killing 5 players of the second last level. The reward for reaching the last level being to actually meet the maker of the game. However, being the good friends they are, they decided to play at peace, each keeping their own territories. But having a strong desire for the truth behind Accel World, she betrayed them, killing off one of her closest friends before having to have make her escape, and disappeared ever since then.

She was found in school once, and thus seeks out Haruyuki to help her locate who is this person that found her, as she is afraid that people will take revenge on her if she is ever found. And so she teaches Haruyuki how to play Accel World.

Haruyuki's character in Accel World is called Silver Crow. Most if not all characters bear a color at the front followed by a name. Silver, a metallic title, is considered rare and has high defense. And the purer the color, the more powerful, for example, Red, Black etc. And his Skills being "Punch" "Kick" and "Headbutt". His first opponent was an enemy that rides a bike. Haruyuki got thrashed naturally, since he doesnt even know how to fight.

Snow Black later sacrifices herself in the real world to protect Haruyuki, thus making Haruyuki more eager than ever to protect her. He later reveals his true powers, a rather unique, one-of-a-kind power... Flight. Even though his appearance and the Black Queen's return declaration shocked many, his ability is easily analysed and gets defeated by snipers and all...

Oh well, its quite a good story in my opinion. All those above are from vol 1, except for that last part about snipers, just to show he isnt invincible. Accel World
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

Wooo thanks~

Looks like this guy is quite into writing the whole virtual reality deal. Although your synopsis there sent my head spinning a bit (xD). Definitely interesting charhist concepts though.
Daybreak Project
"You crazy b@stard! I'm gonna treat you like shit until you reveal your true form!!!"
"NO WAY. Over my dead, resurrected and killed again body." -- Kadi, when given a proposal about leaving [Miko-moe] 'as is' in TL.
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

Aorii wrote:On that note, anyone here tried his other work Accel World ?
I've read it but it's not all that good. SAO is much MUCH better. Well it is an OK story but it pales in comparison to SAO?
Nobody move! Anybody who moves is the culprit!
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Sharramon wrote:
Aorii wrote:On that note, anyone here tried his other work Accel World ?
I've read it but it's not all that good. SAO is much MUCH better. Well it is an OK story but it pales in comparison to SAO?
I cant answer that, I have yet to, or rather, I dont really intend to read SAO. The reason being 100 levels, its fixed to it... But on the other hand, Accel World(after trying it), I found it to be about people's feelings, emotions, betrayals, trust and all.

SPOILERS FOR ACCEL WORLD!!
Spoiler! :
Haruyuki has two childhood friends, one is a cheerful and lively girl, the other being a cool and popular guy from another school. The two are a couple, which was later revealed that they became one when the guy confessed his feelings for the girl, and the girl asking Haruyuki what to do. Haruyuki told her to accept, since he does not wish their friendships to change, and hearing his words, the girl accepted. When Snow Black comes into the picture, the girl got worried/jealous, to some extent, or a lot... As the investigation goes on, the girl was suspected to be the enemy they have been seeking, and thus Haruyuki uses his identity as her friend to have a direct link to find out the truth, which allows all kinds of access and security bypassed. And the girl purposely used a very short cable to connect(neck to neck, with a short cable, they are practically next to each other on her bed). And the guy is naturally angry at Haruyuki, even though Haruyuki does not wish things to change.

Eventually, Snow Black sacrifices herself to save Haruyuki, thus getting into a car accident, ending up in the hospital. Haruyuki was afraid that she might get attacked during this period, and stays guard. To his horror, the enemy made his appearance... the enemy being his best friend, the guy. It seems that the guy used the girl as a platform to connect to their school server to try to find snow black. And he was especially made that Haruyuki was so close to the girl, since he found out about the direct link.

In vol 2, they talk about an accursed armor. An armor that would make the user extremely, insanely powerful, but would make him lose his mind. Even though equipment has a small chance of transfer when the owner is defeated, this armor has a 100% transfer rate. However, it was, supposedly, destroyed during the age of the peaceful times, with Snow Black and the other Kings working together to defeat it, and noticed that the accursed equipment was not in their item list. However, after the red king was killed by Snow Black, an age of war came about, giving rise to a new Red King(or Queen, rather). The new Red King has a subordinate who was possessed by the armor. (For your info, the Red King is also known as the unmoving fortress. She possesses a piece of armor upgraded so much, its as the name implies, a big fortress. With multiple guns and equipment, it does not even need to move to attack. Its attack is so powerful it can heavily wound even the Black Queen, which she did during the battle.) It was later revealed that the most sly player among the kings, the Yellow King, a master of illusions, or disruption of senses, seems to have kept the armor as a secret, and gave it to the opposing side to make them defy the peace treaty, in hopes of killing a King, the new Red King. It went according to his plan to a large extent, as the possessed player was eventually found to be the Red King's master/teacher. This would imply that the Red King got her program from that person, and doing so is only possible if they had a direct link transfer, meaning they knew each other in real life, and were probably quite close. After a harsh battle against the Yellow Army, with Nemesis(the black army's name) and the Red King heavily injured, the accursed armor came to strike. It blindlessly attacked all, with the Yellow King as the first victim, who then escaped quickly. In their battle, the Red King took the best opportunity to heavily wound the monster, which is when it is targeting Snow Black, with Snow Black within her range of fire as well. Even though they eventually beat the monster, the Red King has no choice but to disarm her friend's Brain Burst(the program).
A lot of details for the "game" they play are yet to be revealed, but other than what i mentioned in my previous post, as an army, they can capture territories in a team battle. With very limited units at their side, Haruyuki and Snow Black struggles to maintain their lands, and has to try hard to expand their territory, which is not easy to. There is room for expansion and explanation, but I believe it will slowly uncover... Its quite a good read in my opinion.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

untitled.JPG
I take it Cradil's annoyed at the crowd rather than worried about his own posture in front of the audience ? Oh wait Kirito is probably the subject again for that last part of the sentence...
In hindsight, I should have probably guessed given Cradil's egocentric personality...

Ugh, this is where dual-language editing comes in handy (*searches for chinese text again*)

[Edit: "a spirited but weak smile" - somehow, I can't picture this o_O]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daybreak Project
Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

One problem with something in chapter 2:
Spoiler! :
I live with my mom and three younger sisters. I think that I’ll be forced out of Dive if I don’t come down for dinner….”

“What?! H-how old is your sister?”

Cline suddenly looked at me, his eyes sparkling. I pushed his head away.

“You’re pretty calm right now, aren’t you? She’s part of the sports club and hates games, so she’s got nothing in common with people like us… but more than that,” I spread my right arm in an attempt to change the subject. “Don’t you think it’s weird?”
He says he has three younger sisters, but then they instantly start talking as if there's only one. Did he mean something like: "I live with my mom and younger sister, so three people."? I'm not a translator, but this has been bugging me.

Small actual spoiler that may help my claim:
Spoiler! :
I've also checked out the Japanese wiki, and it only has him, his mother and sister as characters. This could just mean that the other two haven't been important enough or even named yet, though. I've seen it happen before.
Anyway though, thanks for the translations, I'm enjoying this. I've also checked out the novel art for the other two volumes, which getting a 'teaser' of sorts is really making me curious about how certain things happen and all that.
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

It was like that in the book.... I was actually confused myself.

I can only think of two reasons
1. The translator screwed up (the Korean translator)
2. He began automatically referring to his older sister.

But I'm not really sure....
Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

Sharramon wrote:It was like that in the book.... I was actually confused myself.

Odd thing about referring to the eldest of the sisters was that Cline jumped up about the younger sister part...which raises a few questions about Cline himself, but I'll just assume he thought Kirito was older than he is.

Well, I have the Japanese page scan if anyone wants to take a look at it:
Spoiler! :
Also, know if Cline comes back? Disappointed if he doesn't, even more so if he doesn't even get a mention.
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

I know what happens! But I won't tell you! MUHAHAHA! XP

Spoilers are always bad in the long run.
-A-
Astral Realm

Post by -A- »

Enigma wrote:
Sharramon wrote:It was like that in the book.... I was actually confused myself.

Odd thing about referring to the eldest of the sisters was that Cline jumped up about the younger sister part...which raises a few questions about Cline himself, but I'll just assume he thought Kirito was older than he is.

Well, I have the Japanese page scan if anyone wants to take a look at it:
Spoiler! :
Also, know if Cline comes back? Disappointed if he doesn't, even more so if he doesn't even get a mention.
as you thought he says he lives with his mother and sister, so three people
Endless Eight
Astral Realm

Post by Endless Eight »

First off thanks for the translation Sharramon, I really like the story so far. I don't know if I am qualified as a editor or not but I would be willing to give it a try if there are no editors for this series. I can only dedicate time on the weekends consistently.
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

Thank you!
Also Aorii has filled the spot.... although I'm not sure if we should be doing this without supervisors..... I'm guessing or rather hoping that it's fine. But thanks for the offer.

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”