Sword Art Online

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Sharramon
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Sword Art Online

Post by Sharramon »

First I must apologize for posting these things when I hardly participate in the forum or anything else ^^;;

I've read quite a few novels but right now this one is practically my favorite. I must have read this one about five times over.

For those of you who don't know this book's about being trapped in a Virtual RP world where the only way to get out is to get through all 100 floors. I know the basic plot seems a bit boring and somewhat bland. However, the story itself and the characters in it are all pretty good and it gives you an overall feel of reading a 'fantasy' novel rather than your average light novel, although it has a lot of aspects of both.

The story itself is rather fun and somewhat touching at the end.

Also could anyone tell me HOW to help with translating? I have quite a few things that I can translate..... I think. I can at least help with Shana, Haruhi, ZnT and Sword Art Online(if this one starts). Although admittedly I'll be translating Korean so I'll get books later than Japs can get them.

Prologue as teaser (although it doesn't really tell you much)
Spoiler! :
A huge castle made of stone and steel floating in an endless sky.
This is all that this world is.
According to the measurements done by a handful of technicians who had too much time on their hands the diameter of the base floor is about 10 kilometers- large enough to fit the whole of Setagaya-ku inside. Above there are 100 floors stacks straight upwards, the sheer size was unbelievable. It was impossible to even guess how much data it consisted of.
Inside there are a couple of large cities along with countless smaller cities and villages, forests and plains, even lakes. Only one stairway linked to the floor above, and they existed in dungeons where large numbers of monsters roamed discovering and getting through was no easy matter. However, once anyone opened the upper floor and arrived at a city the <Teleport Gates> of all the already discovered cities immediately linked to it, allowing everyone to move freely between them.
In these conditions the huge castle has been steadily conquered for two years. Currently the front line is the 74th floor.
The name of the castle is <Aincrad>; A world of swords and battles that floats aimlessly with its population of about six thousand. Otherwise known as-
<Sword Art Online>
Active Project, closed the poll. - TGM
Last edited by Sharramon on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nobody move! Anybody who moves is the culprit!
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by Darklor »

If you liked the series so much you could create the project yourself. All you need to know is written here in the guidelines

For a new project you have to create in the Baka-tsuki wiki a project page and a registration page with all necessary informations and a first translated chapter to get the approval
Sharramon wrote:Also could anyone tell me HOW to help with translating? I have quite a few things that I can translate..... I think. I can at least help with Shana, Haruhi, ZnT and Sword Art Online(if this one starts). Although admittedly I'll be translating Korean so I'll get books later than Japs can get them.
So you're interested to translate into English? You can contact the supervisors or translators of those projects also you can post your offer in the subforums of the respective projects.
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Darklor pretty much covered it. Now one thing that you need to be mindful of is that starting a project is no small task, you need to stick to your guns in order for it to get off the ground. There are threads around on the forum that can help with the start of a project, and if not go ahead and start one.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

My advice is do not attempt Shana until you at least get experience and confident of your skills... Its one big killer...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:My advice is do not attempt Shana until you at least get experience and confident of your skills... Its one big killer...
Are you sure that that is the same for every language? Maybe translating from Korean is a little easier than from Japanese or Chinese?

And while we're at translating maybe you Sharramon could add the Korrean introduction to this page: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... _Languages ?

Darklor

ShadowZeroHeart

If its tough from Japanese ->English, it should be hard from any others to English... Unless they changed the story/language much...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll dig around a bit and check things out.

As for Korean and Jap they're almost about the same. So anything that's hard in Jap would be the same in Korean. The most important thing for shana would be a good grip on chinese or the Japanese Kanji.
The terminology itself shouldn't be all that hard..... the names and some of the wording habits of characters might become a little annoying though sometimes..... I think.

Also I think I'll translate Sword Art Online myself... if I can and if I'm allowed. Since I do write stories as a hobby and read both English and Korean books I think I'll have enough erm.... 'literal sense' to be able to do so (or so I hope ^^;;).

I'm not sure if I can totally dedicate myself to this yet.... so until I can either make up my mind to do so (most probably), or find a willing translator (unlikely) I'll put PMing any wiki supervisors on hold....

I hope I'm doing this right O.o
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

I'll start translating the first chapter over the weekend. I've made sure no English translating company holds the license to this. I'll PM the mods as soon as I have th first chap done.

Also I have to try and get the attention of some people here O.o ..... I wish there was a chat here....
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Author: 川原 礫 (Reki Kawahara)
Illustrator: abec
Spoiler! :
Volume 1: ISBN-13: 978-4048677608
ImageImage
Volume 2: ISBN-13: 978-4048679350
Volume 3: ISBN-13: 978-4048681933

Darklor

Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

Teaser page created: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... Art_Online
By the way it's Aincrad and not Eincrad.

The teaser page needs a synopsis.

In 2022, a major electronics manufacturer company, has developed a device connecting to a virtual space; the world had finally achieved a perfect virtual reality.
The main protagonist, Kirito, is a player of Sword Art Online (SAO), a VRMMORPG (Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game).
Etc
hariseldon
Astral Realm

Post by hariseldon »

I really want to read the rest. I saw that you deleted the content of chapter 2. Luckily it can be read from history section.
You really did a good job of translating, thank you.
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

My sincere thanks. I'm just happy that somebody enjoyed reading ^^

I just hope that book two will come out before I translate all of book one. Although I don't think I have to worry too much about that. Since I'll be doing about a chap a week with 25 chaps, 23 now. That's about a bit less than six months O.o....... perhaps I'll get faster??? XD
hariseldon
Astral Realm

Post by hariseldon »

By the way there is something wrong at line 51.
However, my sword didn’t sword . The system assisted my movements through the programmed movements and chained the next slash with a speed that would have normally been impossible.
Is it 'my sword didn't stop' ?
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

Thanks, fixed. Your guess is correct. I should proofread more throughly O.o but by the time I've finished translating my head hurts too much to concentrate properly T.T

I've actually fixed a few other typos... after I noticed them but they were all pretty minor stuff... why do I miss obvious things???

Also I'm pretty happy about the fact that I'm translating much faster than I thought I could! Since I said I'd do chap one over the weekend but I've already finished with chap 2 and two pages into 3! Although I won't have much time to translate during weekdays....
ShadowZeroHeart

Sharramon wrote:Thanks, fixed. Your guess is correct. I should proofread more throughly O.o but by the time I've finished translating my head hurts too much to concentrate properly T.T

I've actually fixed a few other typos... after I noticed them but they were all pretty minor stuff... why do I miss obvious things???

Also I'm pretty happy about the fact that I'm translating much faster than I thought I could! Since I said I'd do chap one over the weekend but I've already finished with chap 2 and two pages into 3! Although I won't have much time to translate during weekdays....
Dont worry, translators are not required to be perfect, mistakes and all are allowed. People will help to spot and correct the mistakes, and clarify when necessary, dont put such a great burden upon yourself. and Keep up the good work!!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”