Sword Art Online

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

gn_x00
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by gn_x00 »

anyway, I really wonder how much data that the swords skill consist off... just making a set should already massive, and this sword skills has 2 set, just in case someone which is left handed played (or someone is crazy enough to pull skill connect like Kirito)
M.A.D
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by M.A.D »

I think the data for sword skills is actually pretty small comparing to everything else in a VRMMO. They are is basically sets of value that is designated into avatar movements once a sword skill in activated. In other words, they are system-guided actions of the avatar, as opposed to player-guided actions. Since sword skills all have a set values, the system would have to process much less data comparing to the variety of possible actions that a human being could have made their bodies do.

According to the novel, the thing that has the most amount of data in the system is the details of the environment, and even those machines could not handle processing all that much data, which is why they needed a «Digital Focusing System» (v2c1)
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Ushwood »

7-11
The Medicuboid from before seemed to cover the girl's head, and right now, the length of the rectangular basket body was divided in half. The basket body above the girl's ear was tilted 90 degrees backwards. The inside was collapsed to fit the head as it covered the sleeping girl's face.
This was the first time Asuna saw Yuuki's body in the real world. The girl who was so sickly was so thin that it was heart-aching, and her skin was rather pale too. Her face had a mysterious beauty to it, and Asuna even felt that this is what a pixie would look like if they really existed.
How could Asuna see that "mysterious beauty if Yuuki's face was still covered by the Medicuboid?
Sludge
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sludge »

Ushwood wrote:7-11
The Medicuboid from before seemed to cover the girl's head, and right now, the length of the rectangular basket body was divided in half. The basket body above the girl's ear was tilted 90 degrees backwards. The inside was collapsed to fit the head as it covered the sleeping girl's face.
This was the first time Asuna saw Yuuki's body in the real world. The girl who was so sickly was so thin that it was heart-aching, and her skin was rather pale too. Her face had a mysterious beauty to it, and Asuna even felt that this is what a pixie would look like if they really existed.
How could Asuna see that "mysterious beauty if Yuuki's face was still covered by the Medicuboid?
It explains the state of the Medicuboid being open , the upper part open and it's inside is collapsed so when it's closed it would fit the head.
Basically it's a hollowed out cube that has an upper part that opens up when you put your head in and out of it.

About the data ,aren't you two talking about 2 different things? «Digital Focusing System» was used because of CPU power limitations , not related to data storage if I remember correctly (I might not be)
But I do agree compared to everything else the data needed for the sword skills is much smaller , all you need is to create data for each skill on both left/right hands and just specify combos of those actions.
Also skill connect doesn't use new types of combos , it's the same combos just chained by his own agility and unique use of Duel Swords so it doesn't require more data in terms of skills I think.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Tap »

Graphic resources usually take up the bulk of the space requirements in games nowadays.
Coding would almost always be only a small fraction of that.
An easy way to think about it is how a digital comic (graphics) takes up much more space than a digital novel (text).
That said, the coding would probably still consume a fair amount, considering how it's a 3D VR game that requires some sort of framework to utilise the Nerve Gear and handle the messages passed on from there.
Yui and the Cardinal System would probably be huge as well, considering how even Watson takes up several terabytes.

Next, tweets as always:
- He might write the story of how Kibaou made his own clearing guild without relying on beta testers, then got to floor 25 before it got partially destroyed due to one reason or another, resulting in him being sent to the first floor.
- While Kirito may seem like some sort of super hacker, all he actually did was find and compress the MHCP001 folder, threw it into his own storage and made it into an object. Aside from the last point, it makes a lot more sense now.
Ushwood wrote:The Medicuboid from before seemed to cover the girl's head, and right now, the length of the rectangular basket body was divided in half. The basket body above the girl's ear was tilted 90 degrees backwards. The inside was collapsed to fit the head as it covered the sleeping girl's face.
"The Mebicuboid obscured the girl's head when she saw it previously, but its rectangular casing was now separated into halves. The top portion that split apart at the line between her ears was shifted 90 degrees to the back. The inside was a depression that fitted a human head and the face of that girl, sleeping with her eyes closed, was set in it.

This was the first time Asuna saw Yuuki's body in the real world. The girl who was so sickly was so thin that it was heart-aching, with her skin almost pale enough to be deemed translucent. Her face had a mysterious beauty to it, and Asuna even felt that this is what a pixie would look like if they really existed."

The previous translation was a little... odd, to be honest.
Or rather, what the heck is a basket body?
I'm not too sure how to express that second line though, it's essentially just the Medicuboid having 2 parts, with the split at the height of the ears on a human face.

Oh, and Ushwood, Kawahara is intentionally retconning the first volume in Aria and such.
He's probably not too sure what exactly would be "canon", so you can more or less consider both as "parallel universes" with equal levels of canonicity.
(this is in reference to that other forum)
Last edited by Tap on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skeptic
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Skeptic »

Tap wrote:Graphic resources usually take up the bulk of the space requirements in games nowadays.
Coding would almost always be only a small fraction of that.
An easy way to think about it is how a digital comic (graphics) takes up much more space than a digital novel (text).
That said, the coding would probably still consume a fair amount, considering how it's a 3D VR game that requires some sort of framework to utilise the Nerve Gear and handle the messages passed on from there.
Yui and the Cardinal System would probably be huge as well, considering how even Watson takes up several terabytes.
I started writing some detailed guesses with math included, but it was turning into way too long a post. I'll stick with a summary: WoW's actual code is only about 40 MB, and its textures and models and sounds and other assets are 13 GB. (Pre-Pandaria; I haven't played in a few months so my install is out of date). WoW's surface area is about 300 square km. I estimate Aincrad's total floor surface is more like 4000 square km, which, rounding down, is about 13 times as much as WoW. Let's assume the amount of dungeon space scales similarly. I assume 4K resolution for the graphics - since that's already coming up, and ought to be damn impressive - which means we probably need 4 times the texture and model data... for every model. So that comes out to about 676 GB for SAO's client software.

The NerveGear's own OS and libraries should be comparable to present day computers with the exception of its brain map database, which could need detailed type and location data for tens of billions of neurons. But I'm not sure how much of that is built into hardware instead of being part of the software. So this could be anywhere from one GB to hundreds of GB.

Yui might be smaller than Watson, IMO; Watson wasn't allowed internet access during games, so it had to have a huge trivia database. Yui's post-Aincrad database should only be 'common sense' conversational stuff plus her memories and personality. (Not that we have any idea how to quantify how much space her memories and personality take up...). And then I have no idea how well Yui or the Seed compresses.

Lastly: If Moore's Law holds steady to 2022, rounded down, that's another 6 generations. 2^6 = 64. So 64 times the transistor budget for the same price and power envelope. But I only had to multiply the storage requirements for things by 13 * 4 = 52, so that should be enough. I'd worry more about memory bandwidth bottlenecks than transistor count. And internet bottlenecks.
Sludge
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sludge »

Damn Skeptic you took it too far I think :)

in a Q&A tap just translated Yui said her main program is about 3 Terabytes and that doesn't include any outside information she obtained from the Internet ,
but than again I don't think Reki knows enough about this subject to actually say something completely reliable.

It's safe to assume the data sizes we are talking about are immense and can't be compared to anything that exists right now.
Anyway most of the data is stored on the servers so the client software is really small compared to the data stored on the servers probably,
and well yeah , code is the smallest part of any big program / game in terms of data so it's not even worth considering in the calculations about data.
nightreader
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nightreader »

Hey it is just a story right, you don't have some secret japanese site?
I would expect data to fractal condensed, by then, with fuzzy hardware.
I tend to just see most of this to be GEEK talk to make it sound belivable in the near future.
nightreader
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nightreader »

Sludge wrote:Damn Skeptic you took it too far I think :)

in a Q&A tap just translated Yui said her main program is about 3 Terabytes and that doesn't include any outside information she obtained from the Internet ,
but than again I don't think Reki knows enough about this subject to actually say something completely reliable.
Well people guess the human brain has 3 to 6 Terabytes of binary data. Since even less is known about the human brain than what fiction would have us think, the ball park figures seem valid for now.
gn_x00
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by gn_x00 »

as a gamer, I hope I still live to at least try VRMMORPG...

anyway, from Volume 10 chapter 4 part 3,
Spoiler! :
it seems even the blue rose sword can't be compared to the no name sword
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

gn_x00 wrote:as a gamer, I hope I still live to at least try VRMMORPG...
Same. I really hope I live long enough to be able to try true VRMMORPGs.
nightreader
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nightreader »

anyway, from Volume 10 chapter 4 part 3,[/spoiler]
Give me time to read it a few dozen times. I only check once a day for new stuff. :-)
PS: I do all my reading off line at my leasure.
gn_x00
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by gn_x00 »

thinking the money needed to buy the first edition of VR console (Nerve Gear etc) makes me depressed
nightreader
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nightreader »

anyway, from Volume 10 chapter 4 part 3,
Spoiler! :
it seems even the blue rose sword can't be compared to the no name sword
Now that I read the chapter, I am kind of expecting Kirito to get into some sort of sword fight
before making it back to the school grounds.
Skeptic
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Skeptic »

nightreader wrote:Well people guess the human brain has 3 to 6 Terabytes of binary data. Since even less is known about the human brain than what fiction would have us think, the ball park figures seem valid for now.
Well, the flip side is that the nervegear doesn't have to touch the complicated parts we don't understand much about, like memory and stuff. It doesn't even have to know much about which neurons connect to where. It just has to know which little clump to poke to make you see a pixel at (x,y) and so on. If you already have a good enough brain scanner (which the nervegear is), you can do that just by watching how someone's brain reacts while watching / hearing / feeling test patterns with their physical ears and eyes and body. Something similar has already been done in real life to calibrate artificial eyes, though in a much cruder way - a few hundred wires stuck directly into the brain to give a resolution of a few hundred pixels.

(edit: removed accidental nested overquoting)

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”