Sword Art Online

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by Tap »

They're probably under a contract that only allows them to publish a certain number of volumes a year or something.
And translation costs probably pale in comparison to all the other operating costs, like printing or advertising.

The time wait is worth it from their perspective if it's a better translation, I guess.
Not to mention they'll have to localise the text, making it fit the style of an English novel, rather than the Japanese style used in fan translations (dialogue on theiir own line, etc).
SAimNE
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SAimNE »

i dont know about light novels but certified translators earn like 70k a year for regular books(average). i doubt light novel translators earn as much, but i also doubt it's all that low, and i'd imagine they'd have a few on staff at least. so i'd think they'd at least have them busting out as many translations as possible, and reading over someone elses work and altering sentence structure or changing a few key words should be faster overall(formatting to the standard format could be handled afterward by almost anyone who got through high school). overall i dont think anyone would do it, but seeing the possible numbers on it makes me think they may be better off financially if they tried to buy fan translations at a flat rate, and then pay a professional to make edits. then even if they can only release a certain number a year at least they could have the translations finished quite a few volumes ahead of schedule and pick up another series to publish.
c933103
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by c933103 »

I think one reason of keeping the release speed at roughly 3-4 book every year is probably considering buyer's ability to pay, as there might be some people who don't have so much money that need to store up for a few month to be able to buy a novel so if they publish books too quickly then they might lost some buyer. Also, they might have limited printing and releasing capability that need to coordinate with amount of place they can have in bookstore to display their book or number of books that can print together or shipment cost and such...? (pure guessing
Kemm
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kemm »

I've been having one doubt from a while back and have yet to find an answer.

When making the jump from the web to paperback, one of the changes was the disappearance of the character of Argo the Rat. Since it has disappeared, her fate is unknown. Someone who has read the web version, what was of her?
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Tap »

Kemm wrote:I've been having one doubt from a while back and have yet to find an answer.

When making the jump from the web to paperback, one of the changes was the disappearance of the character of Argo the Rat. Since it has disappeared, her fate is unknown. Someone who has read the web version, what was of her?
On the contrary, she had more pagetime in the paperbacks, mostly in the Progressive and extra stories.
She only had one mention (in Reindeer) in the web novels back then, not counting the Progressive series that were available online for short periods of time after publication of the main series started.
octapusxft
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by octapusxft »

It appears that someone out in the web is continuing the translating from where BT left. If you cannot wait for years, give google a search using the titles of 13+ volumes.
Always wondering why do translators go AWOL?
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

c933103 wrote:I think one reason of keeping the release speed at roughly 3-4 book every year is probably considering buyer's ability to pay, as there might be some people who don't have so much money that need to store up for a few month to be able to buy a novel so if they publish books too quickly then they might lost some buyer. Also, they might have limited printing and releasing capability that need to coordinate with amount of place they can have in bookstore to display their book or number of books that can print together or shipment cost and such...? (pure guessing
Could be a reason, but if they are too slow it could happen that they will lose readers. Especially since the anime series did progress this far and the adaption of the 2nd series seems to be more faithful to the original novels
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Yay, at last my Progressive 2 did arrive - but sadly it was just too short... :( ;)

I'll hope that 3 will be at least as good as that. - Will the story there continue the DarkElf questline?

Also is already something known about Progressive 4?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

This novel is really good.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Is it? Maybe I should buy it. I saw it in the store recently.

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”