Sword Art Online - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

mythu
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Sword Art Online - Names and Terminology

Post by mythu »

M.A.D wrote:As far as romanisation goes
You mean the latin romanization? o.o
Might aswell pick me, I am latin, at least twice originally latin.
And I also know the current romanian, italian, spanish, french(latin originated).
Tizei, Tizay, Tezeu stand for male name forms.
Teiza, Tieza, Teza stand for female name forms
Tiez, Tezea may stand for both male and female latin name forms
M.A.D wrote: Teiza is obviously wrong. Plus Tizei is a properly used name in real life.
If you mean about the "latin" ancient real life then I won't disagree with you.
But I'd like to know more about it from you. Even on private, it's that tempting.
Spoiler! :
Facing life&death ++
"I am nothing in the eternity of this world..nor can I do anything in this vastness all by myself"(茜新地花屋散華 2, 26)
"the one to be envied is he who loves, however little he gets in return"(Eric Berne)
Skeptic
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Skeptic »

mythu wrote:You mean the latin romanization? o.o
In the context of Japanese writing, romanization means writing it out phonetically in the modern extended Latin alphabet. It doesn't mean translating the meaning of the word into Latin, just writing the sound of the word.

That said, your post was really interesting. Are those actual names currently used in real life, or was that just a demonstration of the proper word endings?
mythu
Haruhiist Sensei

Post by mythu »

All of the names above are not out of the common/ordinary but only some of them are used in real life.
In this part of the world usually popular name are given to the newcommers.
The naming in variety is continuing to decrease.
Which is a bit tragic, the more diversity and understanding the child encounters the more he will develop and easier he will attain (self) realization.
Of course, the readers must be taught that it's not wrong to read different names from different source materials, different names are a common encounter thanks to the different cultural experiences and understandings(interpretations). Variety should be always welcomed. My attempt of naming a more correct form wasn't needed in the first place, yet the name's variety was a good action.
And all turned out spontaneously really well.
Spoiler! :
Facing life&death ++
"I am nothing in the eternity of this world..nor can I do anything in this vastness all by myself"(茜新地花屋散華 2, 26)
"the one to be envied is he who loves, however little he gets in return"(Eric Berne)
M.A.D
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by M.A.D »

mythu wrote:
M.A.D wrote: Teiza is obviously wrong. Plus Tizei is a properly used name in real life.
If you mean about the "latin" ancient real life then I won't disagree with you.
But I'd like to know more about it from you. Even on private, it's that tempting.
That's actually a line I quoted from Zero2001's post in my previous reply. You might want to contact him instead
mythu wrote:
M.A.D wrote:As far as romanisation goes
You mean the latin romanization? o.o
Might aswell pick me, I am latin, at least twice originally latin.
And I also know the current romanian, italian, spanish, french(latin originated).
Tizei, Tizay, Tezeu stand for male name forms.
Teiza, Tieza, Teza stand for female name forms
Tiez, Tezea may stand for both male and female latin name forms
Wow, this is really interesting. I'd like to know if these names are really used in real life, too!

Also, are they pronounced the same? As far as I know, the girl's name is pronounced "Tee-zi" in Japanese, but there are more than one kind of English spelling that would have been pronounced that way, including the one where they end it with a "z". And yeah, that's called "Japanese romanisation" or romanji, for short.
mythu
Haruhiist Sensei

Post by mythu »

I only played with guessing based on my cultural reasoning and sences.
I didn't take any documentation yet the ALL names (coincidentally) seem to be used in real life. But do not try to copy my actions here, it's bad.
I googled the names for fun, note that the forms here are literal.
Tizei Pedro, Tizei Luiz(spanish)
(latin names have some difference from english pronunciation)
Tezeu(s), son of Zeus(common name in romania), Peter Koves Tezeu
Teiza Wong, Eiza Gonzales(spanish) http://names.whitepages.com/first/Teiza
Teza Alberto (italian)
Tieza Santos (philipine, Santos is spanish, or south american spanish
Tieza Tissi (seems to be a brazilian/latin actress, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3281634/filmotype)
Argentina: Tiez Jose A; Spain: Tiez Ronderos Maria Angeles
Joan Tezea(spanish) http://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?vie ... name=tezea
Spoiler! :
But none of them are close to "Tee-zi"
Let's propose to select a spelling close to the person's character
Comming up another wild examples.. :|
Teasy, Taesi, Taesia; and now the documentation:
Teasy(Wound up, Frustrated, softer feminine z); Literal: Taesi, Taesia
(Taesia Summers, TAESI, DAUGHTER OF HORUS, they've a noble aspect)
(From latin conjugation: taesi -ae -a sumus. So it does mean something..
It's bad to copy unstable attempts, unless you attained maybe an anomaly upright condition and individuality? They that are doing it should know the chaos it can bring and take responsibility, even is it's lower in a forum environement. It's a danger zone. I'm close to banned.
One lives an optimizing stable life of continuous research..and struggles to bring it at a collective level. Struggling to find the right and then do it right while accepting to be tortured.
One is looking at a truth by it's "fruitage" on the each person and so is learning how to doubt. Each person is a truth.
One is experiencing on believing a truth on it's own risk.
I always strenghten my beliefs through advanced doubting but I'm just a 1.1 truth and one is not enough, thrive requires from 2, more and more
Anyway don't take the "unattained" as the truth, not even me, have fun doubting the possible or impossible truth but do not disconsider it also
Anything from this spoiler will be explained only personally so don't refer it somewhere else, don't quote it publicly, this is limited for 'under 18'
Spoiler! :
Facing life&death ++
M.A.D
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by M.A.D »

Like I said, that's how Japanese people pronounced it. I never said that they did it right. In fact, it's usually the opposite
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

May I remind you all that the entire story is fictional, and hence, real names may not necessarily apply. I highly doubt, though it may be possible, that there is someone named (anything that sounds like) Eugeo or Garitta (,for example) in real life,
M.A.D
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by M.A.D »

There might....

The first fluctlights were named by humans from the human world, after all. Of course we're seeing plenty of weird-sounding names, but there's no rule against putting one or two real human names in there, especially when those names are named by human like you or me.

And Eugeo's name could have been Yujio, which is a perfectly legitimate Japanese name
mythu
Haruhiist Sensei

Post by mythu »

Eugeo is well picked-> Eugene \e(u)-ge-ne\ as a boy's name is pronounced yoo-JEEN. It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Eugene is "well-born, noble".
Garitta-> Garith as a boy's name is a variant of Gareth (Welsh), and the meaning of Garith is "gentle". (was the old woodcutter gentle with Kirito and Eugeo?)
Klein is a german name, it means "little", well picked
Rob is an english name, it means "steal"; to rob=to steal, well picked
All of these names give clues and strong personality to their owners
If you pick any japanese name, it will mean something, the idea is to find a non-japanese name in the autor's work so that it wont mean anything but I think the autor is using this wonderfull trait. I know it can take much energy but the translators could respect it to keep most of the flavour of the original novel. If you can't find the "no meaning" name then you should choose the appropiate spelling based on the character's character.
And Pryun is right, many of the nowadays names didn't exist, they came through progress and population growth. It's ok to use an unused name.
Unfortunately there are many names with no meaning. On the other hand it's also not wrong that a translated name will have no meaning, this is up to the translators, they choose how to do their work.
Spoiler! :
Facing life&death ++
Skeptic
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Skeptic »

mythu wrote:Klein is a german name, it means "little", well picked
The reason for Klein's name is buried in the character interviews somewhere. Let's see if I can find it again... here we go: http://taptaptaptaptap.wordpress.com/20 ... ilica/#kle

It's a pun on his real name, Tsuboi Ryoutarou.
“Kurain no Tsuboi” (Klein Bottle), a Japanese SF novel with mystery elements, written by Okajima Futari. First published in 1989.
Which I'd never have known about if not for Tap's work. Well, I knew what a Klein bottle is, but I didn't know about the Japanese book.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Ah, actually, it's just the Klein bottle.
Doubt that book had anything to do with it.
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

I don't name stuff randomly, Mythu is right about why I suggested and used Eugeo as his name (Which I'll change if the author gives his name in english, no matter how strange it would be/look (names like Klein and Agil make sense, but Kuradeel?)). By the way, can you name someone from japan with the name Yujio? because I have never seen such a name, and I'd like to see the kanji.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Spoiler! :
So, Leafa?

That's probably a f, considering the spelling and the f from Godfree.

Also, microfiber cloths.
Guess it's official.
It's really ironic though, having the name on the cloth itself while the title still uses "Lyfa".
Also, "Sinon".
Well, there's no way I'm going to change her real name to Sino unless there's an extremely valid reason.
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

I don't see why not, the name is viable. It seems a lot of people use their real names as a basis for their IGN...
Zero2001
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zero2001 »

Google translate types ティゼー phonetically (ie: shows it's romanji form) as Tizē.

Therefore I think it should be written as Tizei, not Teiza.

Plus I heard the vocal pronunciation and that also points to Tizei, not Teiza.

And it's a real name used in Brazil. So there are three points in favor of Tizei.

I say again, Teiza is obviously wrong.
Ne, onegai. Set me free, ne? Kore kara ii ko ni naru kara... ne?
Zero2001.

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”