Sword Art Online - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

MiY4Gi
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Sword Art Online - Names and Terminology

Post by MiY4Gi »

Ah, I meant romanisation, but I used a "z" instead of an "s" accidentally and the autocorrect suggested randomization. :D

Well, I read Teiza as "tuh ii zeh" which is close to "ti ii zeh". I guess it's the "zei" at the end that's bothering me. Or perhaps what's bothering me is how different Tizei is from Teiza - I mean the name change was rather abrupt.

However (iirc), in Japanese, "ii" isn't pronounced with 2 syllables, but with an elongated "i", so I guess Teiza would be wrong.

Where the heck did the author get the name Tiize from anyway?

Mm, alright I'm worried that people would pronounce Tizei as "tee zay", which could be wrong, while they may pronounce Teiza as "tay zah", or like I do, "teh ii zeh", which are also wrong. In that case, why not just stick with Tiize and let people interpret it their own way?

So I'm for Tiize or Teezeh.

By the way, how do you pronounce Ronie? Is it "row ni", "ron ni" or "row ni eh"?
Sludge
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sludge »

I did this a while back for Beginners Blog

http://dreadfuldecoding.blogspot.com/p/ ... guide.html

Might help with understanding the sounds ( the romanisation is from a while back as asked by Beginner at the time)
MiY4Gi
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by MiY4Gi »

Sludge wrote:I did this a while back for Beginners Blog

http://dreadfuldecoding.blogspot.com/p/ ... guide.html

Might help with understanding the sounds ( the romanisation is from a while back as asked by Beginner at the time)
Interesting. And are those pronunciations correct? So it's Tizé (tee zeh) and Ronié (roh ni eh)?
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

What Tap said What the heck are you looking at Google translate to translate names for anyway? You are so gonna get screwed with bootleg names like Bookmark,Beautiful Sky and other equally odd names. (The worst I've seen was something along the lines of Squeaky Sand on the beautiful Beach)
Sludge
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sludge »

MiY4Gi wrote: Interesting. And are those pronunciations correct? So it's Tizé (tee zeh) and Ronié (roh ni eh)?
It's a pretty simple text-to-speech conversion , I won't say it's 100% correct but it gives you a general sense of how they should sound.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Tap »

MiY4Gi wrote:Mm, alright I'm worried that people would pronounce Tizei as "tee zay", which could be wrong, while they may pronounce Teiza as "tay zah", or like I do, "teh ii zeh", which are also wrong. In that case, why not just stick with Tiize and let people interpret it their own way?

Interesting. And are those pronunciations correct? So it's Tizé (tee zeh) and Ronié (roh ni eh)?
Yes, those are more or less correct, assuming there's no weird pronunciation used for them.

It's pronounced similar to "tee zay" or "tee zeh", as you can hear.
The main problem with using "Tiize" would be the "ze" part, which people would usually pronounce as "zee" in English (instead of "zeh"/"zay").
And double i's look pretty odd in English. There are names in the fantasy genre that uses them, but still, I doubt they maintain a common pronunciation among different people.
MiY4Gi
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by MiY4Gi »

So are we gonna use Tizé and Ronié then? It will be a pain in the ass to type the special characters though. You'd have to hit Alt+0233 each time. I can't even type that in Google Chrome, since Alt+1/2/3 are used for something else. However I still feel that, even with the accented e, they're still the most appropriate romanizations for the names.
Pryun wrote:What Tap said What the heck are you looking at Google translate to translate names for anyway? You are so gonna get screwed with bootleg names like Bookmark,Beautiful Sky and other equally odd names. (The worst I've seen was something along the lines of Squeaky Sand on the beautiful Beach)
Lol, that's what I'm talking about. Google Translate can be incredibly unreliable.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

Unless they are names from a country where they use accents, I don't think accents should be used.

Tize and Ronie seem good enough.
Drake
Reader

Post by Drake »

From the following article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_te ... diacritics
Diacritics are used in names of some English-speaking people:

British: Charlotte Brontë, Emily Brontë, Noël Coward, Zoë Wanamaker, Zoë Ball, Emeli Sandé
American: Beyoncé Knowles, Chloë Grace Moretz, Chloë Sevigny, Renée Fleming, Renée Zellweger, Zoë Baird, Donté Stallworth
Australian: Renée Geyer
The use of diacriticals in English is fine - it is just not that common.

I have to say that I prefer Tizé and Ronié over other alternatives.. :-)

Also I think the nomenclature of Underworld would likely reflect a multitude of nationalities, and thus accentation should be a viable option. From Caliber it was shown that the cardinal drew on mythology and lore from around the world for quest generation, and I would assume Underworld had the same capability...
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

I highly doubt Underworld would, considering that it should be a closed network due to security issues.

As a translator, I have to say that writing those would be annoying as hell.
Drake
Reader

Post by Drake »

In terms of writing the names out each time; that is wasteful and time-consuming, sure.
But, you don't have to...

Finish the article using unaccented names then do a find-'replace all' with the text either in firefox or in a word editing program. Job done...
Quick and easy; and the names are already in the forum so here copy-paste is your friend and you don't have to even play around with Alt+0233 either.

Either that or leave it to the editors to sort out... :lol:
Drake
Reader

Post by Drake »

Just had an additional thought, whether there are any addons that could be useful for this kind of thing.
A quick look brought this to my attention: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... asyaccent/

While I haven't tried it yet - it could be a useful tool for text editing...
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Ah, I just happened to go through some old SAO material.

And realised that the concept art from Kunori-sensei from the web novel days had names for those three characters.
So they're apparently... Ronye, Tiese and Sortiliena.

Any opinions? I'm personally fine with them (especially Sortiliena, though Tiese does loses the "z" sound).
Sludge
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sludge »

Tap wrote:Ah, I just happened to go through some old SAO material.

And realised that the concept art from Kunori-sensei from the web novel days had names for those three characters.
So they're apparently... Ronye, Tiese and Sortiliena.

Any opinions? I'm personally fine with them (especially Sortiliena, though Tiese does loses the "z" sound).
Can't really argue with Kunori-sensei now can we? :)
They look fine to me , but maybe since I already know how to pronounce them I'm biased.
That being said, Ronye and Sortiliena seem like a very good fit, Tiese less so

Also if anyone is interested in more vocal pronunciations to be added to the website , just ask and I'll add them to the pronunciation page :)
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

Ronye and Sortiliena do fit, I wholly agree with it. Tiese on the other hand.... well, if it's his concept, I guess we can go with it. yeah, adding a pronunciation guide to the terminology page might be a good idea..

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”