Sword Art Online - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Deadgye
Astral Realm

Re: Sword Art Online - Names and Terminology

Post by Deadgye »

"Tiese" just feels like a mistake. The Published novel content clearly has her name with a ゼ right? Using "se" in the romanjization feels more like a common jp->eng translation error.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Teh_ping »

Note: 跳ね鹿亭

I put it as Jumping Deer Inn in v10. Tap has it as Deer's Leap in v11. After consultation with Florza, I think it should be Prancing Deer Inn. Just 2 cents.
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator

Post by Ushwood »

Vol.9
That wasn’t all. Every fall, all the guards of every village in the northern region could participate in the sword arts tournament held in Zakkaria, to the south. If one could achieve a high ranking, they could become a sentinel —— being recognized as a real swordsman in both name and reality, and able to borrow the official sword tempered by the blacksmith workshop in the capital. However, the dream didn’t end there. If they could prove their merit among the sentinels, they could obtain qualification to take the examination for the «Master Sword Academy», which had an ancient and honorable origin.
Vol.10
“We have to win the tournament today and quickly rise to the top ranks in the army so that we can go to Centoria next year... To Alice. Right, Eugeo?”
[...]
There would only be two people who could join the Zakkaria army forces, one from the east and west block respectively
This must be the same term I guess.
I prefer "sentinel", because otherwise it looks like Zakkaria has its own army, which just doesn't seem right.
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator

Post by Ushwood »

Why ウォルデ is translated as "Wilde"?
Lery
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by Lery »

Tap wrote:Master Sword(s) Academy was adopted by Teh_Ping (or BeginnerXP?), so I'm not too sure on their intentions, but anyway...

修剣学院 -> lit. Master/Discipline/Study Sword Academy -> An academy to master the (usage of the) sword
So any name that suggests that would be fine.
Personally, I would go with something like... North Centoria Sword Mastery Academy, maybe?

This might be a good time to move the discussion of the academy's name over to the Terminology thread as well.
Volume 10 uses both Master Swords and Master Sword.
I used Swords in volume 11, but that's mainly because "Master Sword" seemed like it was an academy based on or formed by a single sword or something.
Mhhh, I thought that "Master Sword" actually stood for "Swordmaster", because that's how I understood it every time I read it...
But I guess you don't write "Swordmaster" with 修剣, do you?
I know that in Fire Emblem, they used "ソードマスター"...
And I also saw "ウェポンマスター" in another game... And even "フェンシングマスター"... So useful.
But I guess there must be an equivalent in real Japanese.

The question would then be : why "Master Sword Academy" does it means "Swordmaster(s) Academy" ? :?:

Maybe it has something to do with their "sword style" thing? :?
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Swordmaster is a possible localisation, in the sense that people who go to that academy aim to graduate as a swordmaster.

The name uses "Master" as a verb, rather than a noun, though.
As in the sense that people go to the academy to master their swordsmanship.

ソードマスター, ウェポンマスター and フェンシングマスター are just Sword Master, Weapon Master and Fencing Master written in katakana (like "so-domasuta-").
For a Japanese equivalent, something like 剣聖 (kensei), perhaps?
Lery

Post by Lery »

Yeah, I know that it's just the english words written in katakana, I know that much japanese ;) That's why I said it wasn't useful at all. ;)
But for 剣聖, I can't say, from the kanji only point of view, it seems me okay, but I am merely a beginner with kanji...
Anyway it's not in 修剣学院, so it's not of that much help to know that ;) (And there are surely lots of synonym, I guess... Swords are a pretty common thing in japan culture, aren't they?)

For the "master" as a verb, the thing is : the we can't really put verbs in a name, do we?
Mhhh.
Maybe something like "Academy of sword's mastery" but it becomes almost pedantic, doesn't it?

Anyway, we are okay to say there is a problem with the "Master Sword(s) Academy" noun, right? :|

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

If it is a name, it doesn't matter what and where the verbs, adjectives and nouns go. You can call your school anything you want... from Learn Students School to Idiot Wise School to Teaching Monkeying School. Just Sayin. I mean, yes, it would be awkward, but hey! it's a name! There are sad kids out there with worse! :lol:
Lery

Post by Lery »

You're right actually. Since it's a proper noun, you're totally right.

But don't you agree that it's presently kind of a strange noun? Couldn't we find a better alternative?

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

There's North Centoria Sword Mastery Academy, like I suggested.
There's an implied verb even though it's a noun.
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

Sword Learning Academy? Simple, sweet, no nonsense, you know the purpose, accurate translation. Admittedly, it doesn't look as cool as tap's sword mastery academy(which is somewhat acceptable...)...
746939454_temp
Astral Realm

Post by 746939454_temp »

For the Chinese translation in the table, it'd be better to use Chinese publisher's translation (as currently using) or translation by fans? And use Traditional Chinese (as currently listed) or Simplified Chinese?
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

Are there any translations from Chinese currently being used? As far as I know, Tap uses Japanese raws, so there should not even be a need for such a table anymore... If such a table were to be made, it will be up to the translator's choice, I think.

Of course, personally, and if necessary, I'd prefer the published choice. The fan translation of a fan translation is bound to have a lot of funny things spontaneously emerging...
Zero2001
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zero2001 »

I also thought Master Sword Academy was wrong. (What? Is this Zelda? Hey I just pulled out the Master Sword from it's pedestal, Lets go to the Master Sword Academy to learn how to use it. :lol: )

But despite waiting months noone fixed it.

This always happens with every new volume, and this is why I had to actively seek out translators and ask them questions when I was an active editor.

Well, if you guys make any changes to the terms just send me a PM and I'll make the necessary changes. I still have the PSDs of all the images I photoshopped on SAO.
Ne, onegai. Set me free, ne? Kore kara ii ko ni naru kara... ne?
Zero2001.
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator

Post by Ushwood »

I asked this already but looks line nobody noticed (or nobody cares).

The farmer's name in vol.10 (in whose house Kirito and Eugeo lived) is ウォルデ in the original. Why was it translated as "Wilde"? Maybe correct it to more right "Wolde"?

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”