Sword Art Online - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Sword Art Online - Names and Terminology

Post by Pryun »

See? even direct translation can have errors... looks like wolde or worde to me. why do these people all have names ending like that?
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Tap »

It's probably Wolde, no?

As for the academy, I'm still voting for Sword Mastery Academy unless someone got a better idea.
Last edited by Tap on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by 746939454 »

Pryun wrote:Are there any translations from Chinese currently being used? As far as I know, Tap uses Japanese raws, so there should not even be a need for such a table anymore... If such a table were to be made, it will be up to the translator's choice, I think.

Of course, personally, and if necessary, I'd prefer the published choice. The fan translation of a fan translation is bound to have a lot of funny things spontaneously emerging...
In fact I am thinking about translating the web version of SAO from (a fan-translated version of) Chinese to English... Is it possible for me to do so? I am planning to achieve this by copying most of those parts from English translation of published version, and then translate remaining parts where there are differences between two versions myself...

p.s. I read the link to the forum post that 16.5 is removed as it is not written by the author himself, but as far as I searched across the internet, it is not the case...
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by 746939454 »

For the character name コーバッツ, I saw the translation of it as Cobert from the baka-tsuki version of novel, Kobalts from the table, and Kovats from Japanese Wikipedia. In fact, any official name of this guy in English had been stated?
Lery
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by Lery »

Mhhh, I don't have any better proposition, even if I'm not fully satisfied with it.

Zero2001 wrote:I also thought Master Sword Academy was wrong. (What? Is this Zelda? Hey I just pulled out the Master Sword from it's pedestal, Lets go to the Master Sword Academy to learn how to use it. :lol: )

But despite waiting months noone fixed it.

This always happens with every new volume, and this is why I had to actively seek out translators and ask them questions when I was an active editor.

Well, if you guys make any changes to the terms just send me a PM and I'll make the necessary changes. I still have the PSDs of all the images I photoshopped on SAO.
I had the same reaction about Zelda too :mrgreen:

About the PSD : it may be useful for the french translation project, I'm going to PM you about this.
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Zero2001
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zero2001 »

Lery wrote:About the PSD : it may be useful for the french translation project, I'm going to PM you about this.
I've read your PM and sent you a reply. Please read it.
Ne, onegai. Set me free, ne? Kore kara ii ko ni naru kara... ne?
Zero2001.
Zero2001
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zero2001 »

Can someone check and fill in the missing pieces of User:746939454's contributions on the SAO Project? There seem to only be chinese entries in the Names and Terminology page. By him I mean.
Zero2001.
Lery

Post by Lery »

Huh! He did a nice work ^^'
Well, I'm unable to do it, for your missing names' problem, sorry...
But I will translate it in French later. :mrgreen:

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Zero2001
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zero2001 »

I'm not saying his work is bad. I'm just saying that we should fill in the missing parts.
Zero2001.
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

746939454 wrote:
Pryun wrote:Are there any translations from Chinese currently being used? As far as I know, Tap uses Japanese raws, so there should not even be a need for such a table anymore... If such a table were to be made, it will be up to the translator's choice, I think.

Of course, personally, and if necessary, I'd prefer the published choice. The fan translation of a fan translation is bound to have a lot of funny things spontaneously emerging...
In fact I am thinking about translating the web version of SAO from (a fan-translated version of) Chinese to English... Is it possible for me to do so? I am planning to achieve this by copying most of those parts from English translation of published version, and then translate remaining parts where there are differences between two versions myself...

p.s. I read the link to the forum post that 16.5 is removed as it is not written by the author himself, but as far as I searched across the internet, it is not the case...
If you are going to be translator, do whatever you like for the table. For your ps, read the whole original SAO thread.

@Zero: he's translating from Chinese fan-translation so he probably will fill that up as he goes along or something, and he probably can't read japanese (please correct me if I'm wrong, Mr string of numbers)

As for Cobert/Kobalts/Kovatz, no official. Most of the names here are fan-translated, and only changed when when we get confirmation (The biggest group of changes was through the anime. The more ancient readers probably still use Lyfa subconsciously...)
Lery

Post by Lery »

Yeah, I'm also still using Lyfa, I find Leafa just awful. :|

@mister unsigned long int : about the 16.5, it was decided to remove it, because it was drawing too much attention compared to the LN and that wasn't the goal, if I remember well. :wink:
But as far as I remember, it's written by the author, on the web as "fan service".
Anyway, it's better without it : it contains a few inconsistencies with the official story ;)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by 746939454 »

Lery wrote:Yeah, I'm also still using Lyfa, I find Leafa just awful. :|

@mister unsigned long int : about the 16.5, it was decided to remove it, because it was drawing too much attention compared to the LN and that wasn't the goal, if I remember well. :wink:
But as far as I remember, it's written by the author, on the web as "fan service".
Anyway, it's better without it : it contains a few inconsistencies with the official story ;)
In fact, it match descriptions in the original web version:

アスナは裸のままどすんとソファーに腰掛けると、据わった視線で俺を睨みつけ、
「……キリト君も早く脱いで」
 と命令口調で言った。
「は…………つ、続けるの……?」
「ここでやめたら馬鹿らしすぎるわよ!!」
 俺は慌てて従った。アスナの言うままウインドウを開き、恐ろしく深い階層にあるオプションを解除する。
 ドタバタした導入には雰囲気も何もあったものではなかったが、二人だと少々狭すぎるベッドの上で、俺たちは時間をかけてシステムの許すかぎり出来る事をした。詳細な説明は省く。
-----
Rough translation:
Asuna flop on the sofa nakedly as is, and look at me quietly,
"……Kirito-kun, take off your clothes immediately."
She said in tone of command.
"ha…………c-continue……?"
"It would be too silly if stopped here!"
I followed hurriedly. Opened the window, I found the ethnic code off option in the horribly deep place in it as Asuna instructed.
Although the farce-like prologue completely lack of atmosphere, we quickly go to the bed which is little bit narrow for two, and do what we can do within range that system permitted. Detailed descriptions omitted.
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

Please remain on topic, this is the names and terminology page.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Well, Numbers' a newcomer.

The threads are organised like this:
Sword Art Online - Names and Terminology = Discussion on naming conventions
Sword Art Online = Discussion / questions on general issues on the translations
Sword Art Online LN Discussion. = Discussion of the actual story of SAO
Lery

Post by Lery »

@746939454 : to go on about what you said :
Spoiler! :
746939454 wrote:
Lery wrote:Yeah, I'm also still using Lyfa, I find Leafa just awful. :|

In fact, it match descriptions in the original web version: [...]
That wasn't what I meant : there are inconsistencies with the gender choice possibility at game's start for example... ;)
Well, now : I've got something related to the topic! I have found something strange, those are Yui's sayings in GGO, chap 11 :
"The official website didn't have any records, but according to news on other websites, the lowest exchange value is 100,000 points in GGO, and the exchange rate to yen is 100 to 1, so it can be exchanged for 1,000 yen. The operating company seemed like they would be sending the added value digital money over to the players log-in email. The prize for winning this tournament is 3 million points, and so it would be 30,000 yen in exchange."
I don't read that much of Japanese to check it easily, but I guess that the term "added value" (付加価値 ~ ふかかち) may possibly be a mistranslation of something like "price" or "recompense", or something similar given the kanji in "added value" which are also coming in such words... no? May one of you confirm it ??? (I'm currently studying japanese, hopefully in two or three years, I will be able to read it and check it on my own :lol: )
Anyway, do you agree that the "added value digital money" doesn't really make sense? :?:

Sysadmin, sometimes.

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”