Accel World

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Accel World

Post by Ushwood »

5-5
Takumu-kun and Chiyuri have also gladly agreed to enter, and above all, Haruyuki went through so much trouble to get us the right to participate by noticing the possibility of a new stage appearing and going all the way to the distant Sky Tree.
Chiyuri-kun and Haruyuki-kun.
Eternal Dreamer
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Eternal Dreamer »

Ushwood wrote:5-5
Takumu-kun and Chiyuri have also gladly agreed to enter, and above all, Haruyuki went through so much trouble to get us the right to participate by noticing the possibility of a new stage appearing and going all the way to the distant Sky Tree.
Chiyuri-kun and Haruyuki-kun.
Right, I missed that.
Kai Ding
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kai Ding »

theUnbreakableSky wrote:What Misogi said.

I'm helping with V6 and translating V9 and V11 on my blog currently. As for V7, I'm not sure if Kai Ding is going to continue or not.
I am translating V7, I'll upload the whole thing in one go after I finish, might be around end of March or April depending on various issues.
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator

Post by Ushwood »

5-5
His name was «Bush Utan[1]», a Level 5 player with dark green armor
He is level 3.
Eternal Dreamer
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Ushwood wrote:5-5
His name was «Bush Utan[1]», a Level 5 player with dark green armor
He is level 3.
Huh, must have missed that.
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator

Post by Ushwood »

5-6
Or was this developed from the image data in my memories while I was unconscious? But, do I really have such a high resolution photo of her entire body…?
Judging by the second sentence, here he means not his own memories but his Neurolinker's memory.
Eternal Dreamer
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Ushwood wrote:5-6
Or was this developed from the image data in my memories while I was unconscious? But, do I really have such a high resolution photo of her entire body…?
Judging by the second sentence, here he means not his own memories but his Neurolinker's memory.
Hmm, sorry, the sentence here is too vague to definitely say either way. Considering how the Neuro Linker has been explained, it is entirely possible that it could access and copy from people's memories. (The initial dream that Brain Burst gives players could be seen as an example of it.) And the word used is the Japanese word for "memory", not any special word for data memory or even the word in English. If you want to keep the interpretation open, I would suggest changing "memories" to just "memory", which is vague enough that it could mean either one.
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator

Post by Ushwood »

5-6
“No, that’s not all. Your self in the real world, Arita Haruyuki, is also…my, the Black……’s……”
Looks like she tried to say her nickname "Kuroyukihime" (or maybe even the real name) rather than "black King" or "Black Lotus". In this case, "Kuro" shouldn't be translated as "Black" but just left as "Kuro".
Eternal Dreamer
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

“No, that’s not all. Your self in the real world, Arita Haruyuki, is also…my, the Black……’s……”
Looks like she tried to say her nickname "Kuroyukihime" (or maybe even the real name) rather than "black King" or "Black Lotus". In this case, "Kuro" shouldn't be translated as "Black" but just left as "Kuro".
No, I don't think she tried to say her nickname, since that's really out of character for her to say like that, and also, her nickname is always written in katakana, not kanji, so this wouldn't make sense. My assumption is that she's saying "Black King", since it's always written in kanji in the book. However, I also accept that it might be her real name, but considering that we can (probably) assume that her name starts with "Sa" (since her nickname by Raker is "Sacchan", and Haruyuki himself said "Sa-" when he tried but failed to say her real name in the OVA), "Kuro" isn't likely to be the start of her name (unless it's her last name, but there's nothing to prove that and besides, just kanji without furigana isn't enough to guess the proper pronunciation, so we can't just assume it's "Kuro"). So unless there's verifiable proof that it's referring to her name, nickname or otherwise, I'm going to go with "Black" for "Black King".
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator

Post by Ushwood »

her nickname is always written in katakana, not kanji
Sorry, what?? :shock:
Kuroyukihime is and was always written "黒雪姫".
She said "Black king" in her previous sentence, when she spoke about ingame matters. And here, after "that's not all" she switched to real world matters.
in other words: she first spoke about "Silver Crow and Black Lotus" and next about "Arita Haruyuki and Kuroyukihime"
Eternal Dreamer
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Ushwood wrote:
her nickname is always written in katakana, not kanji
Sorry, what?? :shock:
Kuroyukihime is and was always written "黒雪姫".
She said "Black king" in her previous sentence, when she spoke about ingame matters. And here, after "that's not all" she switched to real world matters.
in other words: she first spoke about "Silver Crow and Black Lotus" and next about "Arita Haruyuki and Kuroyukihime"
Oh right, it is written as 黒雪姫.

But still, the issue is unclear. If you want to put Kuro, then go ahead. I personally, however, don't think she'd use her nickname in that circumstance, but there's no way to be definite in this case. If you're confident about it, I won't stop you.
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator

Post by Ushwood »

5-7
His mother should have come home at midnight
This way it looks like he means previous midnight. But actually it's next midnight. I'd write "should come" here.
and responded in a clear voice even softer than the darkness across the net.
Darkness?? what does darkness do here?
Eternal Dreamer
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Ushwood wrote:5-7
His mother should have come home at midnight
This way it looks like he means previous midnight. But actually it's next midnight. I'd write "should come" here.
and responded in a clear voice even softer than the darkness across the net.
Darkness?? what does darkness do here?
No, that's not it. Haruyuki is confused and his memory isn't clear at the beginning of the chapter due to just waking up in the morning, so he just assumes that his mother came home at midnight like normal.

And the second thing is just a metaphor by the author, so there's not much that can be done about it. No need to take it seriously.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

This is probably the first kanji for her real name if you consider the context.
So it would be "In the real world, you, Arita Haruyuki, is also this Kuro... 's...".
It wouldn't be her given name, which is likely the origin of Sacchan, due to Asian naming conventions (family - given).
She mentioned it's similar to Kuroyukihime, so it's perfectly possible for her family name to start with Kuro.
Eternal Dreamer wrote:And the second thing is just a metaphor by the author, so there's not much that can be done about it. No need to take it seriously.
You aren't mistaking 聞 for 闇, are you?

Oh, and AR is "Augmented Reality", not "Altered Reality".
Where did that even come from?
Eternal Dreamer
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Tap wrote:
Eternal Dreamer wrote:And the second thing is just a metaphor by the author, so there's not much that can be done about it. No need to take it seriously.
You aren't mistaking 聞 for 闇, are you?
Ah, you're right, I just checked, and it's 聞. I must have been reading through it too fast. In that case, it should be translated as "even quieter than the net" or something along those lines.

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”