Accel World

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Accel World

Post by Misogi »

Katar is indeed a type of oriental knife.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Ushwood »

5-10
—Then devour them. Devour them and turn them into power. Other people are unnecessary. Break them. Destroy them. I am the incarnation of catastrophe. I am the symbol of fear. I—am «Chrome Disaster»!!
Shouldn't this line be in a bold font?
Eternal Dreamer
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Eternal Dreamer »

Ushwood wrote:5-10
—Then devour them. Devour them and turn them into power. Other people are unnecessary. Break them. Destroy them. I am the incarnation of catastrophe. I am the symbol of fear. I—am «Chrome Disaster»!!
Shouldn't this line be in a bold font?
Oops, must have missed that one. I just corrected it myself.
Intrepid
Kyonist

Post by Intrepid »

8-1
Spoiler! :
Their forms were different, but their armor colors and the auras of darkness in which they were clad as well as their insane fighting styles were commonly shared. Inside the images, as if aroused by something the knights wielded their swords, using their claws to tear away and their teeth to pierce.
Commas after Clad, Styles, and Something.
The design was reassuring, but there was no ill omen in it.
Not saying this is wrong, but the usage of the word But would imply that the latter half of the sentence would be contradictory to the former half. However, both pieces of information in the sentence are positive, so wouldn't And be a more appropriate connector?
Once, «someone» in the distant, distant past who succeeded in penetrating the Imperial Palace had procured this Destiny.
Commas after Past and Palace.
At the same time, the «Future Prediction Function» used to slaughter easily the formidable enemy «Rust Jigsaw» would not exist,
After looking at this for awhile, I suppose it's fine, but I feel "easily slaughter" would flow better. Personal preference I suppose.
Immediately after, while breaking into pieces the wall opposite him crumbled, and a large silhouette appeared from within.
Comma after Pieces.
“…You still don’t understand, Haru. That I’m…not a human that deserves to been talked about in that way.
-Deserves to have been
-Deserves to be

I would chose the latter, as the present tense would refer to what Haruyuki had just told him.
He had been unable to say those worlds until now because he was afraid that when their conversation was over, Takumu would stood up, bid him farewell, and leave the room—
Stand up.
“I might have been prejudiced though…before the very first instance of the lyrics “If you will grant my wish now, I want wings,” I always had the feeling that…the line “Though I know it won’t be granted” was before it. That was too much like my own real feelings…I was never able to bring myself to like that song.”
When repeating lines that others have said, or are repeated from books or other works, usually single quotations ('word') are used around those portions to differentiate from the rest of the character's dialogue. Consider changing the quotation marks around the song lyrics.
His voiced abruptly quivered at the end of the sentence; below his tightly closed eyelids, transparent drops flowed smoothly once again.
Voice.
“…Yesterday night, I received the Kit from «Magenta Scissor» in the Setagaya area.
Last night.
In short, that programmed possessed the ability to interfere with humans’ consciousnesses—with their very souls.
Program.
ISS
Astral Realm

Post by ISS »

Vol 6 - Ch 2
During last year’s autumn, Cyan Pile’s attack and the chance for Silver Crow’s birth visited him.
Probably it's about KYH and should be "her".
Soxar
Astral Realm

Post by Soxar »

Hi, just made this account to tell everyone that's currently working on this, thank you for all your hard work.
I also don't want to seem rude or anything, but what's the current status on all the other chapters of volume6 that are not currently translated?
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

Post by theUnbreakableSky »

Soxar wrote:Hi, just made this account to tell everyone that's currently working on this, thank you for all your hard work.
I also don't want to seem rude or anything, but what's the current status on all the other chapters of volume6 that are not currently translated?
I'm currently retranslating chapter 6 since compared to the first six parts, the phrasing is not good enough to just leave it as that. After I finish that, I'll probably start chapter 7 (since I haven't heard from Heikichi lately too).

[center]Intrepid's editing of 8-1 and my replies:[/center]
Their forms were different, but their armor colors and the auras of darkness in which they were clad as well as their insane fighting styles were commonly shared. Inside the images, as if aroused by something the knights wielded their swords, using their claws to tear away and their teeth to pierce.
Commas after Clad, Styles, and Something.
Ok.
Not saying this is wrong, but the usage of the word But would imply that the latter half of the sentence would be contradictory to the former half. However, both pieces of information in the sentence are positive, so wouldn't And be a more appropriate connector?
Go ahead. Take out the comma while you're at it.
Once, «someone» in the distant, distant past who succeeded in penetrating the Imperial Palace had procured this Destiny.
Commas after Past and Palace.
Ok.
At the same time, the «Future Prediction Function» used to slaughter easily the formidable enemy «Rust Jigsaw» would not exist...
After looking at this for awhile, I suppose it's fine, but I feel "easily slaughter" would flow better. Personal preference I suppose.
Ok.
Immediately after, while breaking into pieces the wall opposite him crumbled, and a large silhouette appeared from within.

Comma after Pieces.
I'd accept "Immediately after the wall opposite him crumbled, a large silhouette appeared from within while he was breaking into pieces.
“…You still don’t understand, Haru. That I’m…not a human that deserves to been talked about in that way.
-Deserves to have been
-Deserves to be
Deserves to be.
He had been unable to say those worlds until now because he was afraid that when their conversation was over, Takumu would stood up, bid him farewell, and leave the room—
Stand up.
Ok.
“I might have been prejudiced though…before the very first instance of the lyrics “If you will grant my wish now, I want wings,” I always had the feeling that…the line “Though I know it won’t be granted” was before it. That was too much like my own real feelings…I was never able to bring myself to like that song.”
When repeating lines that others have said, or are repeated from books or other works, usually single quotations ('word') are used around those portions to differentiate from the rest of the character's dialogue. Consider changing the quotation marks around the song lyrics.
Use single quote marks then.
His voiced abruptly quivered at the end of the sentence; below his tightly closed eyelids, transparent drops flowed smoothly once again.
Voice.
Ok.
“…Yesterday night, I received the Kit from «Magenta Scissor» in the Setagaya area.
Last night.
Both are okay to me here.
In short, that programmed possessed the ability to interfere with humans’ consciousnesses—with their very souls.
Program.
You're an American, or did you learn American English? :lol: I'd put 'programme' since I was taught in British English, so either form is acceptable here.
The First
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

yeah the terrible phrasing was my fault. i tried to do a direct translation without rearanging any of the words so some parts may seem wierd. it's also why the commas were placed in wierd locations.
Baka Tsuki username: Heikichi
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

Here's a link to the first 10% that I retranslated: http://pastebin.com/igd0wceu

Well, it's never too late to learn :P It takes learning to know when to use literal and direct translations, or inference translating.
Ushwood
Asakura Ryoko Terminator

Post by Ushwood »

5 - afterword.
2010 December 15th, Kawahara Reki
Dreamer, where did you take that from? It was April 10th.
my good friend Professor A-san
がんばっていろいろ調べ たり畏友А山先生にお話を伺ったりしようと思います。 in the original. Is it some "Ayama-sensei"? But, strange writing...
the illustrator HIMA-san, who I made a lot of trouble for by firing non-stop difficult requests at him as usual
Looks like HIMA is a female: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4530&p=176427&hilit=hima#p176427
Eternal Dreamer
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Eternal Dreamer »

Ushwood wrote:5 - afterword.
2010 December 15th, Kawahara Reki
Dreamer, where did you take that from? It was April 10th.
my good friend Professor A-san
がんばっていろいろ調べ たり畏友А山先生にお話を伺ったりしようと思います。 in the original. Is it some "Ayama-sensei"? But, strange writing...
the illustrator HIMA-san, who I made a lot of trouble for by firing non-stop difficult requests at him as usual
Looks like HIMA is a female: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4530&p=176427&hilit=hima#p176427
The А山先生 would, yes, translate literally as Ayama, but in order to keep the idea of anonymity that he is trying to convey here, I would suggest either just leaving it as "Professor A" or as "Professor A-yama".
Intrepid
Kyonist

Post by Intrepid »

theUnbreakableSky wrote:
Go ahead. Take out the comma while you're at it.
I feel that comma is important because there is a natural pause between the two clauses, and it also helps to make the sentence not sound so abrupt. However, while looking up coordinating conjunctions, I found that the comma can be omitted as you have done is the sentence is fairly short. I suppose I'll just remove the comma then.
theUnbreakableSky wrote:
Comma after Pieces.
I'd accept "Immediately after the wall opposite him crumbled, a large silhouette appeared from within while he was breaking into pieces.
I thought the wall was breaking into pieces, not he [Haruyuki/Taku]. It was because the wall was breaking into pieces that it crumbled. After it crumbled, a silhouette appeared where the wall was. Might I suggest "Immediately after, the wall opposite him broke into pieces and crumbled, and a large silhouette appeared from within."?

theUnbreakableSky wrote:
Use single quote marks then.
I wans't aware that I had the authority to make edits to the chapter itself? I thought I was just supposed to bring attention to things so that people who are trusted to make the edits could do so. I'm a new member, so I didn't think I had the ability to make the edits to the chapter myself. Also, it seems my login for the Baka-Tsuki forums won't work for the main site/wiki, so is there something I'm missing, or do I need to make another account?
theUnbreakableSky wrote:
Program.
You're an American, or did you learn American English? :lol: I'd put 'programme' since I was taught in British English, so either form is acceptable here.
Yes, I am an American. However, I am just fine with either spelling. I wouldn't want there to be any bias in my choosing to stick with the American spelling, so I decided to look it up myself to be sure, and I found this:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... nd_Grammar

So I'll stick with American English for any edits with alternate spellings, if that's acceptable.
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

Editing work on BT is mostly as one sees fit; if there are dubious edits the translator or another editor can just revert to any last saved state anyway. No one will object to editing by anybody.

Yes, the forum and wiki sites require different accounts. At the wiki I use my regular username Tusjecht, for example.
Harbinger
Astral Realm

Post by Harbinger »

Well, I am really hoping to see another season of Accel world (anime)

They did an awesome job with the adaption till now and the next season would be the Cilver crow - CD arc :D
That already gives a lot of intersting plot for an anime season.

Why am I saying that now?
Well, Sword art online's "phantom bullet" gets an anime adaption too, so why not Accel world as well?

Here, the announcement video of the next Sword art online anime
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hln0X0OCpz0[/youtube]
Intrepid
Kyonist

Post by Intrepid »

Thanks Tusjecht for all your help getting me settled in and giving feedback on my edits. Sorry that I'm only posting this now, but in all honesty I got sidetracked. In any case, I was curious about a quote from 8-3:
“Wh…why, Taku! Why don’t you hit Magenta Scissor back with it with cash on delivery!”
I'm assuming that this is a rhetorical question, which is why there is no question mark. However, immediately before this quote, Taku told Chiyuri that Citron Call could not be used to reverse his ISS, so I would assume that Chiyuri asking why that is in this quote would be a legitimate question expecting a response, so a question mark should be there, IMO.

Perhaps ?! for the first sentence, and ! for the second. Or, maybe just ?! for both sentences. What do you think? I'm leaning toward !? for both, but any input would be much appreciated.

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”