SAO Unique Skills

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Chiyuri
Astral Realm

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Post by Chiyuri »

[quote="Cryum"]how about a "Pet Training" skill that requires a whip? It's unique enough to change the game completely but not in a straightforward matter.[/quote]

I guess it make more sense. I mean Dual Sword Unique skill require One hand Sword while the Holy Sword Unique Skill require a One Hand Sword and a Shield.

Thinking about it that way.. there could be an Unique Skill for Spear user, halbert user, Mace user, Hammer User, Claw User, Axe user and possibly Rapier user. well.. there is more than use those weapons.. there is a lot more weapon types in SAO but only 10 Unique skill and two of them are about One Hand Swords
eduardogranja
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by eduardogranja »

Chiyuri wrote:
Cryum wrote:how about a "Pet Training" skill that requires a whip? It's unique enough to change the game completely but not in a straightforward matter.
I guess it make more sense. I mean Dual Sword Unique skill require One hand Sword while the Holy Sword Unique Skill require a One Hand Sword and a Shield.

Thinking about it that way.. there could be an Unique Skill for Spear user, halbert user, Mace user, Hammer User, Claw User, Axe user and possibly Rapier user. well.. there is more than use those weapons.. there is a lot more weapon types in SAO but only 10 Unique skill and two of them are about One Hand Swords
I'd put a unarmed skill in the list. Like, an advanced upgrade for the Martial Arts skill
Chiyuri
Astral Realm

Post by Chiyuri »

I'm sure they added some sort of "Arcane Ability" Unique skill for people who used the weak "Staff" weapon for a long long time.. That skill let them learn Sword Art skills that are more close to actuall magic some of the ennemies use.
eduardogranja
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by eduardogranja »

Chiyuri wrote:I'm sure they added some sort of "Arcane Ability" Unique skill for people who used the weak "Staff" weapon for a long long time.. That skill let them learn Sword Art skills that are more close to actuall magic some of the ennemies use.
I don't think so. As someone said earlier, Kayaba aimed to create a game where the player fells like he is fighting. That's why the focus of SAO is on swords and Sword Skills. Long-Range, specially magic, would break this objective
Cliff
Reader
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Cliff »

A few ideas based on games I played.
Raven from Elsword : He uses a his fist as well as a sword to attack, which could be applicable to SAO as 1 handed sword and martial arts combination to deal more damage with the punches, the addition of a kick for more knockback and also the ability to parry an attack with the hand and a follow up with the sword.
Sephiroth from the Final Fantasy series : He uses a long katana, which could be used here if they can be made. It could be unique as it increases range of the attacks making it a bit deadlier than other weapons.
God Eater : They have a charging skill for larger weapons where they spend a few second to charge an attack and then unleash it to do more damage.
Cryum
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

Cliff wrote:A few ideas based on games I played.
Raven from Elsword : He uses a his fist as well as a sword to attack, which could be applicable to SAO as 1 handed sword and martial arts combination to deal more damage with the punches, the addition of a kick for more knockback and also the ability to parry an attack with the hand and a follow up with the sword.
Sephiroth from the Final Fantasy series : He uses a long katana, which could be used here if they can be made. It could be unique as it increases range of the attacks making it a bit deadlier than other weapons.
God Eater : They have a charging skill for larger weapons where they spend a few second to charge an attack and then unleash it to do more damage.
The sword-fist seems like a fighting style designed to combine the stunning/knockback of the fist with the damage of a sword if you translate it to SAO sword skills, similar to the single sword moves Kirito pulled off except done entirely with sword skills.

Translating Sephiroth into SAO basically means using regular katanas with a special set of sword skills. These moves probably having a lot of pausing both before and after, but are only beaten by rush skills in terms of attack range and sharpness(doesn't bounce off).

Rather than single charged attacks, how about something similar to Devil May Cry's Beowolf? Every attack in the combo(sword skill) can be charged, allowing for a sword skill set that can feint as well as do increased damage........might be OP......
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
eduardogranja
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by eduardogranja »

Regarding the sword-fist skill, i could imagine the damage of the fist being based on the user's glove's defense. This would make it balanced: if the player wants the power of a sword on his fist, he'll need heavy gloves, which would decrease the speed (one of the main advantages of using one-handed swords)
Cliff
Reader

Post by Cliff »

eduardogranja wrote:
Regarding the sword-fist skill, i could imagine the damage of the fist being based on the user's glove's defense. This would make it balanced: if the player wants the power of a sword on his fist, he'll need heavy gloves, which would decrease the speed (one of the main advantages of using one-handed swords)
Well, it could be that or maybe u can increase the percentage of power till it is the same power as your sword, so lvl 1 in the skill will be 1/1000 of the sword and 1000 in the skill will be the same damage as the sword
Cliff
Reader

Post by Cliff »

Cryum wrote:
The sword-fist seems like a fighting style designed to combine the stunning/knockback of the fist with the damage of a sword if you translate it to SAO sword skills, similar to the single sword moves Kirito pulled off except done entirely with sword skills.

Translating Sephiroth into SAO basically means using regular katanas with a special set of sword skills. These moves probably having a lot of pausing both before and after, but are only beaten by rush skills in terms of attack range and sharpness(doesn't bounce off).

Rather than single charged attacks, how about something similar to Devil May Cry's Beowolf? Every attack in the combo(sword skill) can be charged, allowing for a sword skill set that can feint as well as do increased damage........might be OP......
Lol, then the only way it could be balanced is if it takes an undeniably long time to charge to deal a good amount of damage
Cryum
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

Wait, I got it! The charge time doesn't increase power, it just acts as a substitute for the slight pause after the sword skill. It doesn't have to be a one-to-one conversion, just a way to keep on the offensive. The charge time could also affect the cooldown of the skill. The great downside would be a lack of short combos. You are restricted to a set attack range once you start, and if you pause to charge, the opponent can just fall back and ready a heavier attack for when you finish.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
Cliff
Reader

Post by Cliff »

Cryum wrote:Wait, I got it! The charge time doesn't increase power, it just acts as a substitute for the slight pause after the sword skill. It doesn't have to be a one-to-one conversion, just a way to keep on the offensive. The charge time could also affect the cooldown of the skill. The great downside would be a lack of short combos. You are restricted to a set attack range once you start, and if you pause to charge, the opponent can just fall back and ready a heavier attack for when you finish.
So charging reduces the time taken taken to regain ur posture after a skill? it may be viable but then it seems to work better with a switch included, do a skill, switch, charge for some time, get back in and go for quick skilling for some burst damage
Cryum
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

I don't think switching would be appropriate. I already mentioned the attack range problem. If you start charging and the enemy notices you while fighting your partner, they just have to make sure they aren't near you when another switch happens. You can't jump in because you're stuck in place charging a skill, and if you release the skill you might not even reach the opponent.
Cliff
Reader

Post by Cliff »

Cryum wrote:I don't think switching would be appropriate. I already mentioned the attack range problem. If you start charging and the enemy notices you while fighting your partner, they just have to make sure they aren't near you when another switch happens. You can't jump in because you're stuck in place charging a skill, and if you release the skill you might not even reach the opponent.
Do u remember the basic requirement of a switch? The person fighting must use a move to stun the enemy and leave an opening for the other person to charge ( no pun intended) in
Cryum
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

Cliff wrote:
Cryum wrote:I don't think switching would be appropriate. I already mentioned the attack range problem. If you start charging and the enemy notices you while fighting your partner, they just have to make sure they aren't near you when another switch happens. You can't jump in because you're stuck in place charging a skill, and if you release the skill you might not even reach the opponent.
Do u remember the basic requirement of a switch? The person fighting must use a move to stun the enemy and leave an opening for the other person to charge ( no pun intended) in
Battle Enactment

2v1
person 1 starts charging while person 2 is fighting
monster sees person 1 charging and moves back 2 meters(1 or 2 backsteps)
person 2 uses stun move-both player 2 and monster are stunned
person 1 releases skill-skill doesn't reach since monster is 2 meters(or more from the knockback of the stun) away
person 1 stuck either continuing the skill,which will still miss or just barely reach the enemy, or charging again, leaving him open for a counterattack.

I don't see the charging move as something that fits well as a team unless the monster is huge and bulky.
Cliff
Reader

Post by Cliff »

Hm, what if it can be charged while moving? Also, monsters wouldn't really know abut the charging move. Their knowledge base wouldn't be able to have it since it would be unique and they would need a some time to adapt to a play style before they can get better at fighting against that person.

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”