SAO Unique Skills

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

eduardogranja
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Post by eduardogranja »

NiMx1233 wrote:I do know that javelin throwing is an Olympic sports, but I don't see where accuracy is needed, you just need to get the right angle and the right strength to see how fast it flies. Unless you can throw a couple of em' at once, I don't think the boss would be much bothered. And have you ever seen how an Olympic "hammer throw" is done? I'd like to see someone do that against a huge boss.... Still, this game doesn't encourage imbalanced range attacks, that's the reason why magic isn't implemented in the first place, and the only throwing weapon we've seen inside are just small and weak throwing knives. That's why I think that the Unique Skills are more likely to be melee-based skills, and don't forget "Speed", it seems to be the only thing that makes the game imbalanced in the first place.
One must remember that SAO doesn't need to follow every law of physics like the real world, making it possible for a player to throw anything at high speed. A way to balance it would be to make the damage dealt based on both the strength of the player and on the weapon's attack points, and make it so using it makes the weapon take great damage.
This way, the player will have to choose between these: throw bad-quality weapons with huge strength (in this case he/she would have fewer points on agility or endurance, being more vulnerable) or throw good weapons with the chance of seeing them breaking apart. (and saying good-bye to the Col invested on them)
NiMx1233
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by NiMx1233 »

Feasible, let's hope that we'll get to see other Unique Skills in Sword Art Online : Progressive.
Type-Luna
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Type-Luna »

What about a Multi-Weapon Unique Skill? Instead of focusing on one type of weapon (ex: daggers, rapier, longsword, etc.) the player would have access to every type of weapon and could rapidly switch between them mid battle. The upside is that it allows for greater versitility while the downside could be the stats as each weapon tends to favor certain stats so they player wouldn't be fully optimized for each weapon; another drawback could be that they may not have full access to the entire set of sword skills for each weapon making them a sort of jack of all trades. The condition for it could be who had trained the most weapon skills.

Note: this will obviously not allow the user to dual wield or do anything else that is part of another unique skill; the player may simply be able to use every weapon in their standard form and can rapidly switch between them mid-battle.
NiMx1233
Project Translator

Post by NiMx1233 »

Type-Luna wrote:What about a Multi-Weapon Unique Skill? Instead of focusing on one type of weapon (ex: daggers, rapier, longsword, etc.) the player would have access to every type of weapon and could rapidly switch between them mid battle. The upside is that it allows for greater versitility while the downside could be the stats as each weapon tends to favor certain stats so they player wouldn't be fully optimized for each weapon; another drawback could be that they may not have full access to the entire set of sword skills for each weapon making them a sort of jack of all trades. The condition for it could be who had trained the most weapon skills.

Note: this will obviously not allow the user to dual wield or do anything else that is part of another unique skill; the player may simply be able to use every weapon in their standard form and can rapidly switch between them mid-battle.
Hmm, the "one man army" perk. Seems great, if you're farming alone at lower floors as higher floors require more than just versatility; you may be a jack of all trades, but you'll be master of none. And you'll be useless to the frontline unless you master something.
gn_x00
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by gn_x00 »

NiMx1233 wrote:Feasible, let's hope that we'll get to see other Unique Skills in Sword Art Online : Progressive.
the author will have to kill every "Progressive-Only" high level character though. or else it will be strange how he/she never being spoken (especially with only Holy Sword/Dual known Unique skill) in the original story...
and If they make the "Progressive-Only" high level character befriend Kirito and is alive, how come Kirito never speak with him in the lv 75 boss battle or something?
oh well... it's just a minor strange thing... the Author can also rewrite the original SAO to fit in later details...

I'm hoping for using more character which is already known though. Like Klein, Egil, Lisbeth (but need to wait until floor 60?), Silica, Argo.
well, what I want is more PoH and other Laughing Coffin's member though. especially the Laughing Coffin arc
NiMx1233
Project Translator

Post by NiMx1233 »

gn_x00 wrote:
NiMx1233 wrote:Feasible, let's hope that we'll get to see other Unique Skills in Sword Art Online : Progressive.
the author will have to kill every "Progressive-Only" high level character though. or else it will be strange how he/she never being spoken (especially with only Holy Sword/Dual known Unique skill) in the original story...
and If they make the "Progressive-Only" high level character befriend Kirito and is alive, how come Kirito never speak with him in the lv 75 boss battle or something?
oh well... it's just a minor strange thing... the Author can also rewrite the original SAO to fit in later details...

I'm hoping for using more character which is already known though. Like Klein, Egil, Lisbeth (but need to wait until floor 60?), Silica, Argo.
well, what I want is more PoH and other Laughing Coffin's member though. especially the Laughing Coffin arc
Well, I don't think the Unique Skills can be somehow made known to us in the current main story, as they were deleted during the merging of Aincrad and Alfheim Online. So, Progressive is the best guess. Those with Unique Skills don't have to be high-level, as long as they've reached the requirements, the skill will be given to them regardless of the current level. Pretty sure he had to kill off some of those with a Unique Skill, and leave others with their own reasons for not appearing on the frontlines. Personally, I don't think the author will rewrite SAO, not only that it's good enough, the later details are trivial, they just leave us curious, but are not needed to complete the story.
fg109
Astral Realm

Post by fg109 »

I have an idea that's similar to the "Multi-Weapon Unique Skill." What if there's a unique skill that lets the user ignore weapon limitations for sword skills? For example, you can be equipped with a giant two handed sword and still use a rapier sword skill like <<Linear>>.

Of course, the user will still need to fulfill the stat requirements of whatever weapon he/she has equipped, and also the skill level requirements in the specific weapon type for the sword skill he/she is using.

I imagine that it could be a very useful skill. Light/fast weapons have sword skills that can exceed 10 hits. Probably heavy/slow weapons have much lower combo hits for their sword skills.
Type-Luna
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Type-Luna »

fg109 wrote:I have an idea that's similar to the "Multi-Weapon Unique Skill." What if there's a unique skill that lets the user ignore weapon limitations for sword skills? For example, you can be equipped with a giant two handed sword and still use a rapier sword skill like <<Linear>>.

Of course, the user will still need to fulfill the stat requirements of whatever weapon he/she has equipped, and also the skill level requirements in the specific weapon type for the sword skill he/she is using.

I imagine that it could be a very useful skill. Light/fast weapons have sword skills that can exceed 10 hits. Probably heavy/slow weapons have much lower combo hits for their sword skills.
The problem would be that only the heavy weapons would be used with the Light/fast sword skills as there is no reason to use a light/fast weapon with a heavy/slow sword skill. The speed and multiple hits of a light/fast weapon is supposed to make up for their lower damage while a heavy/slow weapon is weakened by its speed and low combos.
NiMx1233 wrote:
Type-Luna wrote:What about a Multi-Weapon Unique Skill? Instead of focusing on one type of weapon (ex: daggers, rapier, longsword, etc.) the player would have access to every type of weapon and could rapidly switch between them mid battle. The upside is that it allows for greater versitility while the downside could be the stats as each weapon tends to favor certain stats so they player wouldn't be fully optimized for each weapon; another drawback could be that they may not have full access to the entire set of sword skills for each weapon making them a sort of jack of all trades. The condition for it could be who had trained the most weapon skills.

Hmm, the "one man army" perk. Seems great, if you're farming alone at lower floors as higher floors require more than just versatility; you may be a jack of all trades, but you'll be master of none. And you'll be useless to the frontline unless you master something.
Not necessary, since each monster has its own weaknesses you would be able to exploit each one. For example the bone monsters are weak against impact type weapons like maces right? Switch to a mace weapon and quickly take care of them; there are some flying enemies mixed in with the bone enemies? Quickly switched to a lance/halberd type weapon to counter those flying enemies. Need to quickly switch to defense? Quickly swap in a shield to block attacks.

In addition, you would also be able to confuse the AI more easily. Remember, the AI learns as it fights the player and it is usually difficult to confuse it solo but it becomes far easier with two or more players as while a single player only has one style/type of weapon, multiple players can have many. Multi-Weapon would allow the user to have access to many different styles and quickly switch between them mid battle allowing the one player to easily confuse the enemy AI alone.

Also nothing says you can't be a master at one or two of the weapons you command; Kirito did have both two-handed sword and one-handed sword in his skill list for a time; he just left the two-handed sword untrained and eventually replaced it with fishing. If you have it mastered you would have full access to the weapon's sword skill set.
Balderdash
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Balderdash »

I think there's something people are overlooking here. Namely that The dual wielder was supposed to be the hero, while Kayaba was supposed to be the villain. That seems to me to point out that the other 8 unique skills were meant to support the hero in his fight against the villain. One man army skills seem like they'd take the spotlight off the "hero" and "villain" of the story. That being said, there might have been other unique skill users out there that just didn't get noticed because their abilities weren't as flashy. I mean, a healer that can refill your health during a fight would be an invaluable find, but outside of that persons party, no one would even know it's happening. Compare that with someone that can singlehandedly defeat a floor boss, and I think you can see my point.
Cryum
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

Type-Luna wrote:
fg109 wrote:I have an idea that's similar to the "Multi-Weapon Unique Skill." What if there's a unique skill that lets the user ignore weapon limitations for sword skills? For example, you can be equipped with a giant two handed sword and still use a rapier sword skill like <<Linear>>.

The problem would be that only the heavy weapons would be used with the Light/fast sword skills as there is no reason to use a light/fast weapon with a heavy/slow sword skill. The speed and multiple hits of a light/fast weapon is supposed to make up for their lower damage while a heavy/slow weapon is weakened by its speed and low combos.
What if the sword skill is the main modifier for damage, and the weapon is the main modifier for clashing against other weapons? You can do fast sword skills that can only be interrupted by REALLY skillful greatsword users, or repeatedly dodging using a dagger while doing greatsword class damage.

The other point is the matter of how long the stun is after the sword skill. We don't know if it's dependent on the weapon or the weapon class of the sword skill. Heavy class might only be slow because you're dragging a heavy weapon; the skill itself probably doesn't stun you for very long, whereas the stun for lighter weapons are potentially lethal(although that might be because of how much armor they wear).

I thought of a different skill: DUAL SHIELDS!
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
gn_x00
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by gn_x00 »

Balderdash wrote:I think there's something people are overlooking here. Namely that The dual wielder was supposed to be the hero, while Kayaba was supposed to be the villain. That seems to me to point out that the other 8 unique skills were meant to support the hero in his fight against the villain. One man army skills seem like they'd take the spotlight off the "hero" and "villain" of the story. That being said, there might have been other unique skill users out there that just didn't get noticed because their abilities weren't as flashy. I mean, a healer that can refill your health during a fight would be an invaluable find, but outside of that persons party, no one would even know it's happening. Compare that with someone that can singlehandedly defeat a floor boss, and I think you can see my point.
healer is bit troublesome though. since this world got no magic, how are they plan to heal them? and with just healing crystals, everyone is practically a healer since they can use it to help other people
Balderdash
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Balderdash »

gn_x00 wrote:healer is bit troublesome though. since this world got no magic, how are they plan to heal them? and with just healing crystals, everyone is practically a healer since they can use it to help other people
I'm just throwing healer out there as a classic non flashy support role. As for how it could work, I could see multiple possibilities. Probably the most likely IMO would be a "lay on hands" type buff, so touching someone that's injured would give them greatly increased healing. Perhaps certain gestures would be necessary to produce different types of healing, like with sword skills. Maybe one "skill" would provide an AOE aura of regeneration, while another type might need to target a specific injury to remove it almost instantly, while another "skill" might remove fatigue or poisons.

However you look at it, I suspect that to fit with the world makeup that the skill would be something that could be used repeatedly, but that depends of the users own skill to make the most of. Also, since it's a unique skill, it's going to break the game in some way. Honestly, I could see a magic user in the game as a unique skill if it wasn't for the fact that magic is inherently flashy. It seems to fit the requirements for a unique skill, but if one was out there I don't see how you would be able to keep it quiet.
falcolobo

Post by falcolobo »

Don't mind me, but this sounds like great material for fanfiction :mrgreen:
"To my only desire, bring forth the beast of possibilities"
-Cardeas Vist (Gundam Unicorn)
Chiyuri
Astral Realm

Post by Chiyuri »

While this doesn't add much to the discuttion, I clearly remember somewhere in the story the mention of a "whip user" in SAO. I think it was in a side story but I am not sure. Since there was a whip user, I doubt that's a "unique skill" .
Cryum
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

how about a "Pet Training" skill that requires a whip? It's unique enough to change the game completely but not in a straightforward matter.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”