SAO Unique Skills

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Cryum
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Post by Cryum »

eduardogranja wrote:Another idea: a skill that would boost the power of pets such as Pina, increasing damage, defense, general stats and also the body itself. Using Pina as an example again, it would turn into a "real" dragon (not a really big one, about the size of a wolf). It's damage would be about half of the owner's, or it would have a special leveling system :D
Or it could be something simpler: ability to have more than one pet. I can only imagine the requirements for a unique tamer skill though. "Only hunt humanoid monsters and always treat non-humanoids well" or something obscure like that. You'd basically be screwed at the beginning floors, and you would need to keep whatever pet you already have from dying.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
eduardogranja
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by eduardogranja »

Cryum wrote:
eduardogranja wrote:Another idea: a skill that would boost the power of pets such as Pina, increasing damage, defense, general stats and also the body itself. Using Pina as an example again, it would turn into a "real" dragon (not a really big one, about the size of a wolf). It's damage would be about half of the owner's, or it would have a special leveling system :D
Or it could be something simpler: ability to have more than one pet. I can only imagine the requirements for a unique tamer skill though. "Only hunt humanoid monsters and always treat non-humanoids well" or something obscure like that. You'd basically be screwed at the beginning floors, and you would need to keep whatever pet you already have from dying.
Well, the real problem is that i don't imagine anyone playing like that. Not even Kirito, that "lives" the games he plays would do that and he's a badass. Imagine an average player missing good leveling spots (I remember Kirito saying that there was a farming spot full of insects, i think) just for the sake of these creatures that want him killed
Type-Luna
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Type-Luna »

eduardogranja wrote: Well, the real problem is that i don't imagine anyone playing like that. Not even Kirito, that "lives" the games he plays would do that and he's a badass. Imagine an average player missing good leveling spots (I remember Kirito saying that there was a farming spot full of insects, i think) just for the sake of these creatures that want him killed
Well it may not exactly be a specific fixed requirement like doing x tasks y times with in a time limit of z units of time, but could be something more along the lines of best in a certain area or shows the most of a certain quality. Kirito was given dual blades because he had the best reflexes out of the SAO players (at least among the surviving ones at least); so maybe if it is a unique tamer skill the requirement could simply be something like "loves their pet more than any other player. I mean it is not unreasonable to think that the game is analyzing their brain waves to determine who loves their pet the most and give them the skill; it may be more difficult than determining who had the best reflexes but it still may be possible as emotions should still be signals in the brain.
Draeke-Forther
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Draeke-Forther »

What about a kind of No-Skill, that lets you use the system assist without using a sword skill?
eduardogranja
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by eduardogranja »

Draeke-Forther wrote:What about a kind of No-Skill, that lets you use the system assist without using a sword skill?
If there was anything like this, then Dual Blades would be a little useless. The special thing about Kirito's Unique Skill is that he's the only one who can get system assist while using 2 swords
Cryum
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

Draeke-Forther wrote:What about a kind of No-Skill, that lets you use the system assist without using a sword skill?
A better one would be Skill-Cancel, a close range move that forces the target to abort the sword skill, becoming stunned. Sword skills with low hit counts, high speed, or long range would still be variable, but it would still completely change how you fight.

No-skill would be kinda OP, since it's basically a powered up version of the OSS system.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
NiMx1233
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by NiMx1233 »

Well, only sword-like weapons can be found in Sword Art Online, so I doubt there can be much Unique Skills. If there are Dual Blade, then there should be Dual Daggers, just a lousy guess xD The others should be weapon buffs, like elementary ones. Couldn't think of any others >.<
gn_x00
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by gn_x00 »

NiMx1233 wrote:Well, only sword-like weapons can be found in Sword Art Online, so I doubt there can be much Unique Skills. If there are Dual Blade, then there should be Dual Daggers, just a lousy guess xD The others should be weapon buffs, like elementary ones. Couldn't think of any others >.<
aren't there axe, hammer, spear?
maybe there's a unique skill for throwing based attack.
or bare hand unique which is better than the one from floor 3
NiMx1233
Project Translator

Post by NiMx1233 »

gn_x00 wrote:
NiMx1233 wrote:Well, only sword-like weapons can be found in Sword Art Online, so I doubt there can be much Unique Skills. If there are Dual Blade, then there should be Dual Daggers, just a lousy guess xD The others should be weapon buffs, like elementary ones. Couldn't think of any others >.<
aren't there axe, hammer, spear?
maybe there's a unique skill for throwing based attack.
or bare hand unique which is better than the one from floor 3
Oh yea, forgot about them xD Tomahawks that will return after it is thrown? Unlimited Javelins? xD
eduardogranja
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by eduardogranja »

NiMx1233 wrote: Oh yea, forgot about them xD Tomahawks that will return after it is thrown? Unlimited Javelins? xD
As I proposed in the first post, maybe there could be a skill that allows the player to throw any kind of weapon, even two-handed weaponry. It would be priceless to see a player throwing a heavy warhammer directly at a boss
NiMx1233
Project Translator

Post by NiMx1233 »

eduardogranja wrote:
NiMx1233 wrote: Oh yea, forgot about them xD Tomahawks that will return after it is thrown? Unlimited Javelins? xD
As I proposed in the first post, maybe there could be a skill that allows the player to throw any kind of weapon, even two-handed weaponry. It would be priceless to see a player throwing a heavy warhammer directly at a boss
Throwing knives do exist in the game as a normal skill, but they aren't that much awesome, the knives that Kirito threw flies straight without any spin >.< And I doubt it's wise to throw blunt weapons.
Cryum
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

Throwing blunt weapons can be pretty devastating if they are heavy enough. For example, hollow-point bullets. They are designed to squish into a flat end on contact, destroying more bones and organs since it makes a bigger hole before passing through.

A throwing unique skill would be either "ability to throw any item so long as you are strong enough to throw it" or "thrown items return to you" or both.

I can imagine either a juggler tossing multiple daggers or someone throwing sledgehammers like it's an olympic sport, and both sound awesome.
NiMx1233
Project Translator

Post by NiMx1233 »

Cryum wrote:Throwing blunt weapons can be pretty devastating if they are heavy enough. For example, hollow-point bullets. They are designed to squish into a flat end on contact, destroying more bones and organs since it makes a bigger hole before passing through.

A throwing unique skill would be either "ability to throw any item so long as you are strong enough to throw it" or "thrown items return to you" or both.

I can imagine either a juggler tossing multiple daggers or someone throwing sledgehammers like it's an olympic sport, and both sound awesome.
Heavier weapons do mean higher force upon impact, but it won't be fast due to inertia, which makes it easier to dodge for fast players; and it requires a lot of strength to make it fly fast. That's why we frequently see throwing knives but not throwing greatswords.
As for hollow-points bullet, the way it works is upon impact the penetration is delayed due to the increased contact surface, which distributes the force to a bigger area and causing a huge amount of force from inertia, which in turn causes the bullet to "mushroom", causing more body damage to soft targets than normal bullets with higher penetration.
I don't think a hollow-point bullet can be considered a "blunt" weapon... If you are able to throw a bullet so hard that it's as if it's fired from a gun, why don't you just punch the crap out of your opponent... Blunt weapons like sledgehammers don't fly well due to its design not being aerodynamic and its weight. My point of throwing blunt weapons being unwise still stands. Still, it's just a game :mrgreen:
Cryum
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

NiMx1233 wrote:
Cryum wrote:Throwing blunt weapons can be pretty devastating if they are heavy enough. For example, hollow-point bullets. They are designed to squish into a flat end on contact, destroying more bones and organs since it makes a bigger hole before passing through.

Heavier weapons do mean higher force upon impact, but it won't be fast due to inertia, which makes it easier to dodge for fast players; and it requires a lot of strength to make it fly fast. That's why we frequently see throwing knives but not throwing greatswords.
As for hollow-points bullet, the way it works is upon impact the penetration is delayed due to the increased contact surface, which distributes the force to a bigger area and causing a huge amount of force from inertia, which in turn causes the bullet to "mushroom", causing more body damage to soft targets than normal bullets with higher penetration.
I don't think a hollow-point bullet can be considered a "blunt" weapon... If you are able to throw a bullet so hard that it's as if it's fired from a gun, why don't you just punch the crap out of your opponent... Blunt weapons like sledgehammers don't fly well due to its design not being aerodynamic and its weight. My point of throwing blunt weapons being unwise still stands. Still, it's just a game :mrgreen:
The main idea of using heavier weapons is that increased contact area and momentum/inertia equals more damage right? It doesn't have to be that fast if it's as heavy as a sledgehammer, the speed bonus from using it as a sword skill should probably be enough. It doesn't have to be used against players either: all the bosses so far have been gigantic right? Maybe some of the unique skills were designed for fighting large bosses/mobs? Tanks can keep the boss in place for what's basically an different kind of nuking.

The idea of throwing heavy objects isn't original; Javelin and hammer throwing really are Olympic sports, and they involve throwing heavy objects very far and very accurately. Being able to do that against live targets is just what games are for. :mrgreen:
NiMx1233
Project Translator

Post by NiMx1233 »

I do know that javelin throwing is an Olympic sports, but I don't see where accuracy is needed, you just need to get the right angle and the right strength to see how fast it flies. Unless you can throw a couple of em' at once, I don't think the boss would be much bothered. And have you ever seen how an Olympic "hammer throw" is done? I'd like to see someone do that against a huge boss.... Still, this game doesn't encourage imbalanced range attacks, that's the reason why magic isn't implemented in the first place, and the only throwing weapon we've seen inside are just small and weak throwing knives. That's why I think that the Unique Skills are more likely to be melee-based skills, and don't forget "Speed", it seems to be the only thing that makes the game imbalanced in the first place.

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”