SAO Unique Skills

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors, Alt. Language Translator/Editor

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby Sludge » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:50 pm

I would have loved seeing unique skills like :

- Excessive battle healing , granted to someone that always pushed them selves to the edge so he was healed immense amounts by battle healing that it turned into some kind of unique skill which make him virtually unkillable as long as he manages to remain in combat.
- Iron Skin - Another defensive skill , he has very high defenses regardless of armor and can basically tank any fight without using a shield making him the ultimate tank pretty much since he doesn't lack damage output.
- Throwing Skill - I don't remember if they said it didn't exist , but I'm sure it was said it was pointless because of you could run out of throwing picks. so basically a unique skill that makes throwing picks do extra dmg and have unlimited supply. maybe it opens a quest that only the unique skill user can accept that will get him some kind of rare throwing knifes or something.
- Alchemy/Poison Master - probably would belong to some Laughing Coffin member , makes you immune to poisons and able to make extra potent poisons and potions. maybe even he is the only one able to make a buff potion

Stuff like that I feel are very viable and might be required for the 90+ floors , but who knows right :)
Also probably some unique crafting skills exists , like master tailor/blacksmith allowing them to make items at lowered costs or with increased properties
Sludge
Elite Haruhiist
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:55 pm

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby Cryum » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:40 pm

Sludge wrote:I would have loved seeing unique skills like :

- Excessive battle healing , granted to someone that always pushed them selves to the edge so he was healed immense amounts by battle healing that it turned into some kind of unique skill which make him virtually unkillable as long as he manages to remain in combat.
- Iron Skin - Another defensive skill , he has very high defenses regardless of armor and can basically tank any fight without using a shield making him the ultimate tank pretty much since he doesn't lack damage output.
- Throwing Skill - I don't remember if they said it didn't exist , but I'm sure it was said it was pointless because of you could run out of throwing picks. so basically a unique skill that makes throwing picks do extra dmg and have unlimited supply. maybe it opens a quest that only the unique skill user can accept that will get him some kind of rare throwing knifes or something.
- Alchemy/Poison Master - probably would belong to some Laughing Coffin member , makes you immune to poisons and able to make extra potent poisons and potions. maybe even he is the only one able to make a buff potion

Stuff like that I feel are very viable and might be required for the 90+ floors , but who knows right :)
Also probably some unique crafting skills exists , like master tailor/blacksmith allowing them to make items at lowered costs or with increased properties


All of these skills seem kinda detached from the overall theme of SAO.

Excessive Battle Healing and Iron Skin both seem extremely OP if all you have to do is stay in combat or literally stand in the enemy's way. There's no real skill to it once it gets unlocked.

Throwing-read previous posts

Laughing Coffin only used specific poisons that can be hidden in food, it's not like they were poison masters that could rival Asuna's taste database. Again, immune to poison seems like a cop-out(besides, making poisons doesn't make you immune to them). There are also poisons that are impossible to be immune to, since they just build up in your body until it actually harms you. Extra potent poisons without adding unique ingredients doesn't sound right, how about much faster acting poisons(less than half the time to deal full damage)?

Buffs are already stated to appear in various forms, but allowing a player to make them would be hard to balance(required ingredients vs. actual strength of potions vs. unfairness of not having buffs on), not to mention the amount of trouble that guy/girl is gonna get when people find out.

Unique skills aren't simply Master version of old skills, and the difference has to be more than just numbers. Katana is the extra skill of curved sword, and by itself is already an entirely new fighting style.

Crafting unique skills need to add something different: either a different way of crafting(instead of whacking away at a stick of metal) or the ability to add a special effect(flaming sword/spear/shirt/etc.). These special effects don't necessarily increase damage either. The ability to light up a dark room without needing a torch or masking ones' scent for example.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
User avatar
Cryum
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:36 am

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby gn_x00 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:44 pm

lol. without being here, Tap reveal 4 of the unique skills (and that they will be revealed in 90th floor+)
User avatar
gn_x00
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:15 am

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby Sludge » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:06 pm

For anyone wondering what gn_x00 is talking about , check out Q&A translated by Tap

I guess we can start out guess work on what they actually mean and how to obtain them :)
Sludge
Elite Haruhiist
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:55 pm

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby Cryum » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Just read everything, so let the speculation begin!

Darkness Blade -Probably a two-handed sword skill set, although I suspect it was designed to be beaten by Kayaba. If Holy Sword can do a flashbang with the sword, Darkness Blade can probably blind the opponent with darkness. Wouldn't be surprised to see darkness based AOE attacks that come at a cost to life. Standard Dark Knight abilities.

Battoujustu/Art of Sword Drawing/Iaijutsu -It was confirmed to exist before, but it makes sense that this is a relatively common skill for monsters but a unique skill for players. In a world where predicting the path of the blade is everything, Iaijutsu is one of the hardest to block or avoid. One would probably need Yuuki level reactions to even hope to parry without prior knowledge of every move in the skillset.

Shurikenjutsu/Art of Concealed Weapons -I think what this should really do is unlock somewhere around 10-15 more weapon slots on your equipment screen. If it did that, this could get interesting....

Infinite Spear -This is either the ability to do hundred thrust kind of attacks, or make copies of the spear and fight Xaldin-style. Can't think of much more to say about it.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
User avatar
Cryum
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:36 am

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby Cliff » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:05 am

Hm, Darkness Blade might have a DOT effect or a curse.

And Battoujutsu means the art of drawing the sword from the sheath? Then maybe something like a quick draw with more force I guess.

Shurikenjutsu .... I feel its going more to a ninja style skills here but meh. A different type of throwing weapon skill which can travel larger distances and do more damage.

Infinite Spear ... maybe a relation to this :lol: http://www.elwiki.net/w/Infinity_Sword or something along the lines of stabbing with a spear so fast that it seems like there are many spears....
User avatar
Cliff
Reader
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:31 am
Location: U.A.E.

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby SXIII » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:21 am

Cliff wrote:A different type of throwing weapon skill which can travel larger distances and do more damage.


Skill name: Boomerang throw
Throw you dagger(s) in a way that they return back to you. Dual blades and Holy sword are unique skills based of one-handed sword skill. This one would be based of dagger wielding skill instead (so even Silica could have a chance at getting a uique skill).
User avatar
SXIII
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:21 am

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby alienvx0 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:39 pm

I admit, when I first saw "Infinite Spear" , I instinctively thought of the Gate of Babylon or Unlimited Blade Works from the Fate series, except that it will only be shooting out spears.

Of course, such a thing will be way too overpowered in the SAO world :P
alienvx0
Mikuru's Master
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:54 am

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby gn_x00 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:30 pm

SXIII wrote:
Cliff wrote:A different type of throwing weapon skill which can travel larger distances and do more damage.


Skill name: Boomerang throw
Throw you dagger(s) in a way that they return back to you. Dual blades and Holy sword are unique skills based of one-handed sword skill. This one would be based of dagger wielding skill instead (so even Silica could have a chance at getting a uique skill).

or throwing Axes... for the lulz

alienvx0 wrote:I admit, when I first saw "Infinite Spear" , I instinctively thought of the Gate of Babylon or Unlimited Blade Works from the Fate series, except that it will only be shooting out spears.

Of course, such a thing will be way too overpowered in the SAO world :P

and such things can be considered magic easily
User avatar
gn_x00
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:15 am

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby alienvx0 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:54 pm

Well yeah, I kinda forgot that most of the stuff in Fate is considered magic.
alienvx0
Mikuru's Master
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:54 am

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby Cryum » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:42 pm

The only ninja-like concealed weapons skills i can think of is the ability to assassinate any NPC anywhere(even safe zones, although being able to attack players seems too unfair). As simply concealed weapons, the only way it has an advantage over people already wielding weapons and expecting that you are wielding yours is if you actually have a whole lot more. Being able to whip out daggers, small axes, whips, sickles, and small maces in a single clash could make you very dangerous, although a well armored tank can still take you on easily.

Going Fate style Gates of Babylon is already going into magic. I think it would be more like an attachment that lets you use around 4-5 spears at the same time like Xaldin from KH, or maybe copy Kyouko from Madoka Magica: Spears that can infinitely dismantle into multiple sections at any given moment.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
User avatar
Cryum
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:36 am

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby eduardogranja » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:44 am

Cryum wrote:The only ninja-like concealed weapons skills i can think of is the ability to assassinate any NPC anywhere(even safe zones, although being able to attack players seems too unfair). As simply concealed weapons, the only way it has an advantage over people already wielding weapons and expecting that you are wielding yours is if you actually have a whole lot more. Being able to whip out daggers, small axes, whips, sickles, and small maces in a single clash could make you very dangerous, although a well armored tank can still take you on easily.

Going Fate style Gates of Babylon is already going into magic. I think it would be more like an attachment that lets you use around 4-5 spears at the same time like Xaldin from KH, or maybe copy Kyouko from Madoka Magica: Spears that can infinitely dismantle into multiple sections at any given moment.


Maybe it could be just a shortcut that auto-equips new weapons if you drop yours. I could imagine a 20-hit combo by changing into different types of equipment without stop using the skill
eduardogranja
Literature Club Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby eduardogranja » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:03 pm

Sludge wrote:I would have loved seeing unique skills like :

- Excessive battle healing , granted to someone that always pushed them selves to the edge so he was healed immense amounts by battle healing that it turned into some kind of unique skill which make him virtually unkillable as long as he manages to remain in combat.
- Iron Skin - Another defensive skill , he has very high defenses regardless of armor and can basically tank any fight without using a shield making him the ultimate tank pretty much since he doesn't lack damage output.
- Throwing Skill - I don't remember if they said it didn't exist , but I'm sure it was said it was pointless because of you could run out of throwing picks. so basically a unique skill that makes throwing picks do extra dmg and have unlimited supply. maybe it opens a quest that only the unique skill user can accept that will get him some kind of rare throwing knifes or something.
- Alchemy/Poison Master - probably would belong to some Laughing Coffin member , makes you immune to poisons and able to make extra potent poisons and potions. maybe even he is the only one able to make a buff potion

Stuff like that I feel are very viable and might be required for the 90+ floors , but who knows right :)
Also probably some unique crafting skills exists , like master tailor/blacksmith allowing them to make items at lowered costs or with increased properties


It would be a little pointless to have Excessive battle healing and Iron Skin at the same party. Also, in my first post i suggested a "Paladin" Skill, which could take the place for both of them, while being balanced. The player wouldn't take any damage at all, but would suffer later on with the bleeding effect. I also suggested a Throwing skill and explained a way to make it balanced (see ealier posts)
eduardogranja
Literature Club Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby MrArdenss » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:09 am

Maybe death gun had the ability to hide his weapon since he requires no movement before an attack. Act of surprise? Art of concealing a weapon is used for surprise attacks and he fits best because of that ability. I think his name was red eye xaxa?
User avatar
MrArdenss
Astral Realm
 

Re: SAO Unique Skills

Postby eduardogranja » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:34 am

MrArdenss wrote:Maybe death gun had the ability to hide his weapon since he requires no movement before an attack. Act of surprise? Art of concealing a weapon is used for surprise attacks and he fits best because of that ability. I think his name was red eye xaxa?

isn't such a "skill" already available to small weapons? (like Xaxa's Estoc). I would certainly find it interesting to see a player unsheathing a two-handed warhammer out of some pocket.
eduardogranja
Literature Club Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:51 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Sword Art Online & Accel World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron