Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors, Alt. Language Translator/Editor

Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby Teh_ping » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:15 pm

To counter the problem of having so much LN discussion on the main thread (the original purpose is to discuss about the translation issues and stuff), please post here instead of clogging up the main thread. Thank you.
User avatar
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:32 pm
Location: Magdala

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby shiganami.ai » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:17 pm

Greetings~ :lol:

So I heard Gun Gale Online (GGO) arc and Underworld arc will be covered in season 2 of the anime. Is this true? If it is, then it's all good, lol~ XD

I'm just curious on Kirito's appearance in GGO, lol. Will they make him looks feminine enough like in the LN? I do hope so since his appearance in the anime is slightly different compared to the LN. Khu khu khu~ :mrgreen:

And I can't wait to see Hecate II in action~! :lol:
Hitagi Tsundere

What's flooded above and on fire below?
User avatar
shiganami.ai
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:17 am
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby Kelkel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Lets repost this...

A bit off-topic but (very off-topic-.-)
V2 spoilers (not like everyone already read that...)
Spoiler! :
Today i was thinking about SAO and came up with an idea.(totally usless.) when kirito explains why taming mobs is hard is (evil circle) i thought of a way to make it easier to tame them. Is it not just using "Search" skill to see if it is a neutal mob or hostile mob? and if that is forbidden, couldn't you just use "Hide" skill and camp somewhere (so that you dosen't kill the mob)? That way you wont kill the mob and at the same time meet the mob more? (and ofcouse have the mobs favorite food in the bag all the time.)

I want to know what other people think.
(nobody i know has the same intrest as me so i can't talk about
User avatar
Kelkel
Astral Realm
 

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby mythu » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:04 am

I can help ya here. I probably know how Kirito and Lyfa "befriended" Tonkii.
But that won't really help you for real.
I don't see a real life or good purpose other than curiosity or wanting to be master of taming in the upcoming SAO game.
Spoiler! :
Image
Facing life&death ++
"I am nothing in the eternity of this world..nor can I do anything in this vastness all by myself"(茜新地花屋散華 2, 26)
"the one to be envied is he who loves, however little he gets in return"(Eric Berne)
User avatar
mythu
Haruhiist Sensei
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:24 am

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby SXIII » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:34 am

mythu wrote:I can help ya here. I probably know how Kirito and Lyfa "befriended" Tonkii.
But that won't really help you for real.
I don't see a real life or good purpose other than curiosity or wanting to be master of taming in the upcoming SAO game.


That is probably because it wasn't described in much detail, but there are some benefits of having a pet. In the case of Silica's pet Pina, the pet provides a periodic healing effect. It's posible that pets have other passive and/or active bonuses (curing poison and paralysis, increasing natural resistances, increasing detection range, and so on)
User avatar
SXIII
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:21 am

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby shiganami.ai » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:48 am

SXIII wrote:
That is probably because it wasn't described in much detail, but there are some benefits of having a pet. In the case of Silica's pet Pina, the pet provides a periodic healing effect. It's posible that pets have other passive and/or active bonuses (curing poison and paralysis, increasing natural resistances, increasing detection range, and so on)


That's quite possible, seeing that most games have pets that actually grants increase in stats or skills~ :lol:

I wonder if there will be a time where Tonkii became Kirito or Lyfa's pet. And not to mention, will the marriage system affect the pet? Would be awesome if it did, lol. Though I'm guessing the pet's loyalty will still be granted to the tamer~ 8)
Hitagi Tsundere

What's flooded above and on fire below?
User avatar
shiganami.ai
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:17 am
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby gn_x00 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:48 am

SXIII wrote:
mythu wrote:I can help ya here. I probably know how Kirito and Lyfa "befriended" Tonkii.
But that won't really help you for real.
I don't see a real life or good purpose other than curiosity or wanting to be master of taming in the upcoming SAO game.


That is probably because it wasn't described in much detail, but there are some benefits of having a pet. In the case of Silica's pet Pina, the pet provides a periodic healing effect. It's posible that pets have other passive and/or active bonuses (curing poison and paralysis, increasing natural resistances, increasing detection range, and so on)


I still think that the 'benefits' is still tiny compared to the risk and hard work if you actually aiming to get a pet (If the system to get pet is really hard like in this game).
maybe there will be much more benefits the higher the monster level, but if this is still in the death game rules, I won't try to aim for a pet at all.
Offer food -> if rejected -> kill -> give up from taming that type of monster due to the hate parameter or whatever it is called
I don't think it's worth risking your life if it is in the death game rule

and we don't have any info about the stat of pet right? is the same as when they are monsters or a reduced/improved one? though, it means the idea of using High Level Mob to PK someone in lower level isn't impossible with the Pet System (even though it is really hard to get the pet)

I forget about Silica side story though. did they say anything about the limit of tameable monsters? like only non-humanoid or something?

A bit off-topic but (very off-topic-.-)
V2 spoilers (not like everyone already read that...)
Spoiler! :
Today i was thinking about SAO and came up with an idea.(totally usless.) when kirito explains why taming mobs is hard is (evil circle) i thought of a way to make it easier to tame them. Is it not just using "Search" skill to see if it is a neutal mob or hostile mob? and if that is forbidden, couldn't you just use "Hide" skill and camp somewhere (so that you dosen't kill the mob)? That way you wont kill the mob and at the same time meet the mob more? (and ofcouse have the mobs favorite food in the bag all the time.)

I want to know what other people think.
(nobody i know has the same intrest as me so i can't talk about

I must say that Hide skill might be one of the best way to tame monsters though
offer food -> if rejected -> hide and leave/find another mobs
with Teleport crystal ready to be used of course
and of course people who aren't stupid will try to buy Information for a place where there aren't any monsters that can detect hiding players/can inflict paralysis/poison/etc and act accordingly (bring a friend just in case)
User avatar
gn_x00
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:15 am

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby ager0 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Is the Alicization arc finished during the web novel days?
User avatar
ager0
Astral Realm
 

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby Byzantine » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:26 pm

shiganami.ai wrote:Greetings~ :lol:

So I heard Gun Gale Online (GGO) arc and Underworld arc will be covered in season 2 of the anime. Is this true? If it is, then it's all good, lol~ XD

I'm just curious on Kirito's appearance in GGO, lol. Will they make him looks feminine enough like in the LN? I do hope so since his appearance in the anime is slightly different compared to the LN. Khu khu khu~ :mrgreen:

And I can't wait to see Hecate II in action~! :lol:


No way the current Anime gets to Underworld, though GGO is still up in the air. (Underworld is about the length of all the other books combined, and longer the more additions he adds from the web novel).
Byzantine
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby mythu » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:55 am

@ager0 Until now there are 3 Alicization arcs while only the first 2 are finished.
We probably do not know what you mean by "web novel days" and you would normally be ignored to be answered on your improper question. This is a community, you should say hello first and enrich your calling need for answers so we can better understand you. Think for the others too not just for yourself.

@Shiganami.ai & Byzantine
Don't you think the SAO Anime Discussion Thread is more suited for these anime discussions? I know it relates with the LN but to the anime it has a closer relation

Now back to the topic:
I would hide only so that the natural ambiance would be better preserved but
I wouldn't hide when befriending a creature. It would feel the shock of my presence even if it did familiarize with me before, but it will subdue it's shock while already knowing I am not a threat. Even so I would approach it slowly and with patience each passing day if I realize we both need each other to survive or to make our living easier. Be warned that they can sense any ill intentions and even if we do have good intentions they wouldn't trust us because they live out with fear for humans. And the fault is mainly ours because we are the intruders and we are treating them like food or trash despite their efforts to preserve the natural environment and healthy ecosistems while we are doing the opposite to our own "home".
Spoiler! :
Image
Facing life&death ++
"I am nothing in the eternity of this world..nor can I do anything in this vastness all by myself"(茜新地花屋散華 2, 26)
"the one to be envied is he who loves, however little he gets in return"(Eric Berne)
User avatar
mythu
Haruhiist Sensei
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:24 am

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby Cryum » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:03 am

mythu wrote:Now back to the topic:
I would hide only so that the natural ambiance would be better preserved but
I wouldn't hide when befriending a creature. It would feel the shock of my presence even if it did familiarize with me before, but it will subdue it's shock while already knowing I am not a threat. Even so I would approach it slowly and with patience each passing day if I realize we both need each other to survive or to make our living easier. Be warned that they can sense any ill intentions and even if we do have good intentions they wouldn't trust us because they live out with fear for humans. And the fault is mainly ours because we are the intruders and we are treating them like food or trash despite their efforts to preserve the natural environment and healthy ecosystems while we are doing the opposite to our own "home".


That's assuming they are realistically portraying a healthy ecosystem. The POP system set by Cardinal adjusts the respawn rate of monsters based on both the number of players in the area and the rate of exp gain. Unless the population of all the other beings there, both plant and animal, are adjusted at the same time as commonly hunted monsters, there will naturally be imbalances by players simply being there.

That's also not counting that important NPCs are constant, so the "contribution" they have to the ecosystem and the creatures that need to supposedly exist to balance the system might not always be fulfilled.

Despite being very realistic, there are many mechanics that are left ambiguous, since they haven't been explored by Kawahara.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
User avatar
Cryum
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:36 am

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby mythu » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:05 am

The more realistic the better. In Underworld there's <Birth System>. The <pioneer's of the next to come> writings truly have a realistic taste..
Spoiler! :
Image
Facing life&death ++
"I am nothing in the eternity of this world..nor can I do anything in this vastness all by myself"(茜新地花屋散華 2, 26)
"the one to be envied is he who loves, however little he gets in return"(Eric Berne)
User avatar
mythu
Haruhiist Sensei
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:24 am

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby Eternal Dreamer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:28 am

I don't think "realistic is necessarily better" in this case. While a certain amount of realism is nice, especially in the Underworld story that's a true "different world", some of the less realistic things that the author added like "belief power" are also interesting. Of course, it's all limited by how much of these details that Kawahara can fit in while telling the story.
Eternal Dreamer
Project Translator
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:48 am

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby mythu » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:32 am

I think I see your point, you wanted to say not to limit the posibilities of interpretation to just our reality or our usual logic. I actually encourage giving freedom to imagination, to the limit to not create an uncontrolled "demon".
But to me the possibilities related to reality are limitless and; to the collective, I consider them to be more practical.
You picked a very bad and favorable example the "belief power". This asset is "fortuitously" essential for my development and surviving, also mentioning that I was and am raised in an awareness on the power of belief(I see it strongly connected to reality and I am familiar with it).
I am glad you "woke up", wow, you seemed secluded from interacting and I surprizingly didn't expect you to be the one to answer my expected < I don't think "realistic is necessarily better" in this case > As I stated, realistic is better indeed but not necessarily, as you said.. laugh, we are both right

Eternal Dreamer wrote:Of course, it's all limited by how much of these details that Kawahara can fit in while telling the story.

Did you say the <less or non-realistic things> interpretation is limited?
Then I might have gotten a little off topic? o.o
Spoiler! :
Image
Facing life&death ++
"I am nothing in the eternity of this world..nor can I do anything in this vastness all by myself"(茜新地花屋散華 2, 26)
"the one to be envied is he who loves, however little he gets in return"(Eric Berne)
User avatar
mythu
Haruhiist Sensei
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:24 am

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Postby Eternal Dreamer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:42 am

Well, glad to see we're mostly on the same page then. :D

As for the last part, all I meant was that, because this is a "light" novel, Kawahara can only explain so many details (whether realistic or not) about the virtual realities and how they function, so we can't fault him if some of his explanations lack a little here and there.
Eternal Dreamer
Project Translator
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:48 am

Next

Return to Sword Art Online & Accel World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest