Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Sword Art Online LN Discussion.

Post by Pryun »

I checked the differences for rondo, they are quite minor. not sure about Aria, but should be about the same.

Call me when the day before is done. I'm too lazy to check...
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

I just found all 40 parts of Rondo in chinese. Happy kitty :mrgreen:
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

you should be looking for rondo in progressive.
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

Pryun wrote:you should be looking for rondo in progressive.
Oh, well, one miracle at a time. Most Chinese LN sites banned SAO works, as it is copyrighted in China.
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

Oh? didn't know that. But shouldn't most of the LNs be banned as well?
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

Pryun wrote:Oh? didn't know that. But shouldn't most of the LNs be banned as well?
No, they operate same rules as America-When a chinese company come with a cease and desist letter (SAO is published in China)

And their translator teams are amazing, Rondo had like 8-9, some of the larger ones had 10+ a chapter.
Cryum
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

I'm kinda disappointed in Eugeo's answer to Tizei. I get that he doesn't meet this kind of situation very often, but now I'm starting to wonder about the situation between genders in Underworld. So far, it's been leaning close to "anybody who isn't a confident amazon is a damsel in distress", not that we've got an objective view of the whole thing yet.

I hope Kawahara isn't falling back to stereotypes when he should be considering whether or not these stereotypes would even develop in a world like Underworld. On the other hand, if we treat all of the characters as young, almost human AIs, then it makes sense for them to be rather flat and simple. They're only beginning to explore the abuses of power from the perspective of both victim and victimizer.

......for them, this really isn't fighting, is it? They're trained to kill in as few as two hits while only using wooden swords, but all the hard work they put into it falls so easily to Children Are Cruel and Teenagers High on Pride/Hormones Are Cruel.

To Tap: Noble Obligation is certainly the english version, but I have to agree with PROzess that noblesse oblige sounds better, Although I forgot whether Sacred Tongue uses Latin as well. I also may have watched too much Eden of the East.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Tap »

Well, Underworld is a world with near zero open conflict.
And people do develop faster through overcoming conflict, after all.

Really though, if you consider how Kirito is essentially a piece of flint that lights up everyone around him, it makes some sense.
Before interacting with him or those who interacted with him, certain concepts based around breaking or bending rules are basically non-existent (as is evident in Eugeo's monologues as he "grows up").
As a result, everyone would accept whatever fate is given to them even if they hate it, resulting in relatively flat characters.
Kind of like religious zealots, not rejecting a belief even if it's obviously "wrong".
But with him around, the concept of actively going against that fate is introduced and if they act based on their wishes, they essentially become more rounded (most obvious in Eugeo and Rina right now).

Also, I do agree the French version is more common and logical, but "Noble Obligation" was given in katakana. And Kirito partially said "English".
So yea, unless I were to change the text itself, it would be "noble obligation".
Heck, I don't think any country has any common usage of it as "noble obligation" aside from Japan (ironically).
As for Latin, there is Avi Admina...
Cryum
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

So....it could be a mistake on Kawahara's part, or a mistake on Kirito's part, since it's perfectly normal for a japanese to use the english version rather than the french version.....Ah well, more fun with cultural differences, I suppose.

Kawahara is walking the thin line between being shallow and being too deep, and I'm worried that the people who got into the anime first will only see the shallow parts.
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
gn_x00
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by gn_x00 »

Thanks Tap for the translation.

and did we know who's Uolo Levanteinn's valet? I kinda forget whether we were told about him or not
Wrath
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Wrath »

I have been following SAO for 2 years now, and i love the first 4 volumes. What i really love is the romance between Kirito and Asuna. I thank everyone for all the hard work they are putting in translating the light novels, but i feel the author is starting to drag on the plot. I really do like the story between Kirito and Asuna. What do other people think? (or am i barking up the wrong tree (as in im in the wrong form))
Solterina
Mikuru's Master

Post by Solterina »

what the.... raios the annoying noble is currently rank #1 swordman in academy? and another annoying noble is rank #2? not kirito and eugeo? just... what the....
kirito should've use blue rose and gigas cedar sword to mutilated them with starburst stream :evil:
l.kostas
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

I guess they had higher ranks than Kirito and Eugeo for the plot to develop the way it did. If Kirito and Eugeo had much higher ranks, they would use that power to stop those nobles and the plot stops here. It is important for future development.
Cryum
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

The clear themes of Underworld is about time and determination, not just of the individual but of collectives. When Kirito and any "commoner" goes up against a noble, they are literally going up against the will of not only one person, but the wills of generations of tradition.

It's very similar to games like Persona 4 in that respect: The will of one can overcome that of many "weaker" people, but it is a near impossible battle(although the 300 year gigas cedar memories was main char destiny/hax)
Solterina
Mikuru's Master

Post by Solterina »

l.kostas wrote:I guess they had higher ranks than Kirito and Eugeo for the plot to develop the way it did. If Kirito and Eugeo had much higher ranks, they would use that power to stop those nobles and the plot stops here. It is important for future development.
after reading it thoroughly, eugeo and kirito placed 5th and 6th because they are stupid at paper exam :lol:
and now 1st and 2nd, they've got their punishment :twisted:
feel relieved after read it .

now waiting for Alice cosplaying saber and handsome integrity knight in the novel illustration~

------
eugeo, don't become integrity knight and marry tieze, and publish new chapter 16.5~

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”