SAO Game: Sword Art Online - Infinite Moment

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

falcolobo
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

SAO Game: Sword Art Online - Infinite Moment

Post by falcolobo »

So the trailer for the game came out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hobVAqgbE3w.

From what I can tell, its going to be on the PSP and is a free world mechanic. It looks to be turn based combat system, with skills being used when you get the proper points. There is obviously a party system, with the player having Asuna, Lizbet, and Scillia as party members. All in all in looks promising.

Sadly, I was hoping it would be an MMO with real time action.

So what do you guys think?
Last edited by arczyx on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixing Typo on Topic Title
"To my only desire, bring forth the beast of possibilities"
-Cardeas Vist (Gundam Unicorn)
otaku_amer
Astral Realm

Re: SAO Game: Sword Art Online- Infinte Moment

Post by otaku_amer »

Saw the game preview as well. I would very much like to buy a copy. Although I agree that I would have rather had a MMO but I'm still happy. What I am waiting for though is a real VRMMO. Now that would be interesting... minus the death game.
SXIII
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SXIII »

A MMO would be IMO hard to properly implement. We're talking about fast paced action and an advanced melee combat system. While I know of 1 or 2 examples of games that have a combat system that could be revamped to be complex enough for SAO, it is another question if it could be used for a game with several 1000 players all playing at once (speed and stability issues).

Unless enough effort is put into making it (world details, quests, adaptive AI,...), I rather not see a SAO MMO.
mythu
Haruhiist Sensei

Post by mythu »

I remember 4+ years ago there were many researches on how to connect real movements to the virtual. Two guys were equipped with sensors on his feet and hands and were playing tennis while looking at the screen. This is the one I rememeber the most, it was fully working and all this was on the media news!
It's also not wrong to believe that the military already did it since they usually release 20 years or older technology. It would have many uses for them.
Spoiler! :
Facing life&death ++
"I am nothing in the eternity of this world..nor can I do anything in this vastness all by myself"(茜新地花屋散華 2, 26)
"the one to be envied is he who loves, however little he gets in return"(Eric Berne)
Cryum
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cryum »

mythu wrote:I remember 4+ years ago there were many researches on how to connect real movements to the virtual. Two guys were equipped with sensors on his feet and hands and were playing tennis while looking at the screen. This is the one I rememeber the most, it was fully working and all this was on the media news!
It's also not wrong to believe that the military already did it since they usually release 20 years or older technology. It would have many uses for them.
I remember seeing a TED talk about using your brain waves as controls. When you imagine a dot moving left or right, the curtains of the room were pulled open or closed. Imagining a cube growing or shrinking also acts as another trigger. The focus was on allowing disabled people to have more convenient lives without having someone else to help, but if this technology could get cheaper....
If you got sick of the world, and made it better to gain some peace of mind, would you be selfish or selfless?
KiraSkellington
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: SAO Game: Sword Art Online - Infinite Moment

Post by KiraSkellington »

First Not trying to be a Prick or anything but I am Pretty sure its Infinity Moment not Infinite. Then besides that I still look forward to the games release though I am currently Learning Japanese(as in Just starting couple weeks ago lol) So even If I bought it or emulated it there is no way I could play in reality but I look forward to hearing what its like and being Jealous of all you who can lol. A VRMMO would be a great thing to be released I mean.. Who knows maybe by 2024 we will have them I mean.. in the SAO world that is when they got it and hey maybe for us to twelve years is a HUGE amount of time for Technology to advance so keep your fingers crossed and Keep SAO forums and what not Active
SXIII
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SXIII »

KiraSkellington wrote:First Not trying to be a Prick or anything but I am Pretty sure its Infinity Moment not Infinite. Then besides that I still look forward to the games release though I am currently Learning Japanese(as in Just starting couple weeks ago lol) So even If I bought it or emulated it there is no way I could play in reality but I look forward to hearing what its like and being Jealous of all you who can lol. A VRMMO would be a great thing to be released I mean.. Who knows maybe by 2024 we will have them I mean.. in the SAO world that is when they got it and hey maybe for us to twelve years is a HUGE amount of time for Technology to advance so keep your fingers crossed and Keep SAO forums and what not Active
Add a decade or two more to that date and maybe we'll get there. Reading the brainwaves is one thing (and there is still a LOT of work on this part), but stimulating the brain using what is esentially a microwave to reproduce sensory stimuli is a whole new world of its own.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we all get to wear our own personal microwaves in the next decade :mrgreen:
falcolobo

Post by falcolobo »

SXIII wrote:
KiraSkellington wrote:First Not trying to be a Prick or anything but I am Pretty sure its Infinity Moment not Infinite. Then besides that I still look forward to the games release though I am currently Learning Japanese(as in Just starting couple weeks ago lol) So even If I bought it or emulated it there is no way I could play in reality but I look forward to hearing what its like and being Jealous of all you who can lol. A VRMMO would be a great thing to be released I mean.. Who knows maybe by 2024 we will have them I mean.. in the SAO world that is when they got it and hey maybe for us to twelve years is a HUGE amount of time for Technology to advance so keep your fingers crossed and Keep SAO forums and what not Active
Add a decade or two more to that date and maybe we'll get there. Reading the brainwaves is one thing (and there is still a LOT of work on this part), but stimulating the brain using what is esentially a microwave to reproduce sensory stimuli is a whole new world of its own.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we all get to wear our own personal microwaves in the next decade :mrgreen:
I'd be fine with a functioning version of SAO on an MMO. Maybe a different game mechanic in place of sword skills, life action would make my day.

LOL. Nerve Gear is possible, but there isn't enough research into yet. A good estimate is 30 years to get a functioning version of the system out (assuming we develop enhanced technology like high def 3D rendering and working tech like the Cardinal system). Another 5 years for development of an MMORPG like SAO using such a system. That's almost a 40 year wait.
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

Hey, compare the tech right now with the tech 40 years ago (1970).... I think 40 years is definitely an overestimation.

I mean, the Japanese claim to have a game that reads your brain waves and determines whether you like someone

Also, TMS can already cause stimulation to isolated sections of the brain. All that remains is to be able to figure out what to send and which region(s) to send it to -- hopefully, but the mysteries of the brain is still not well known and many areas usually interplay together for a single sense. So the part about feeding the game outputs directly to your brain might be a bit far off. However, catching the signals and blocking it from reaching your body might be possible soon, and with technologies like Reality Cave (hooked up to brain pulses for output so you don't need to physically use a joystick to move around) or Virtusphere in which case the brain waves don't even need to be blocked...

I don't know, I think we'll be surprised by what the future has in store for us, and soon too~

Though, I don't think that 5 years for development of the MMO is an overestimation.... unless there's some amazing new way to dynamically generate beautiful and diverse content easily that comes out some time in the future..
falcolobo

Post by falcolobo »

jonathanasdf wrote:Hey, compare the tech right now with the tech 40 years ago (1970).... I think 40 years is definitely an overestimation.

I mean, the Japanese claim to have a game that reads your brain waves and determines whether you like someone

Also, TMS can already cause stimulation to isolated sections of the brain. All that remains is to be able to figure out what to send and which region(s) to send it to -- hopefully, but the mysteries of the brain is still not well known and many areas usually interplay together for a single sense. So the part about feeding the game outputs directly to your brain might be a bit far off. However, catching the signals and blocking it from reaching your body might be possible soon, and with technologies like Reality Cave (hooked up to brain pulses for output so you don't need to physically use a joystick to move around) or Virtusphere in which case the brain waves don't even need to be blocked...

I don't know, I think we'll be surprised by what the future has in store for us, and soon too~

Though, I don't think that 5 years for development of the MMO is an overestimation.... unless there's some amazing new way to dynamically generate beautiful and diverse content easily that comes out some time in the future..
If Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Sega, Atari and all those other big name game companies decide to do a single work. This might be their thing. Just hope I get it before I turn 40.
gn_x00
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by gn_x00 »

I would rather see no MMO for now. I think the max they can do today is just another whack and slash MMO which is boring :/
SXIII
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SXIII »

falcolobo wrote:
If Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Sega, Atari and all those other big name game companies decide to do a single work. This might be their thing. Just hope I get it before I turn 40.
We'll sooner see Borg like aliens visit Eath and give us that technology, without wiping us out, than see that happen (all those companies working together).
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

SXIII wrote:
falcolobo wrote:
We'll sooner see Borg like aliens visit Eath and give us that technology, without wiping us out, than see that happen (all those companies working together).
I would have to agree with SXIII on that... :'(
mythu
Haruhiist Sensei

Post by mythu »

I woudn't mind in my last years to live another new life as an Underworld citizen until I die there, until I die here and step to the vast Upperworld and continue and endlessly life activity and journey towards holy and pure Existence.
Until there's no end. (No) END. :)
Spoiler! :
Facing life&death ++
"I am nothing in the eternity of this world..nor can I do anything in this vastness all by myself"(茜新地花屋散華 2, 26)
"the one to be envied is he who loves, however little he gets in return"(Eric Berne)
falcolobo

Post by falcolobo »

Doing a bit of research, we have some promising leads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVhggGSj ... r_embedded <-- a device that captures thoughts and allows movement in a virtual environment. Only real problems I see with this is that its expensive, we won't go "into" a virtual environment, and we don't have enough rendering capabilities to make things realistic.

Well....a guy can dream....

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”