Accel World: Format, Style, Names & Terminology

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

The First
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Accel World: Format, Style, Names & Terminology

Post by The First »

Xplorer30 wrote:Don't know where in the chapter most of those are from. If you can give us the Japanese lines for those, then more people could probably help you.
sadly i don't know where in the japanese one they're from. the most i can do is give a description of what happens in the scene.
哚 just after Olive tries to use Dark shoot but only manages to say it partially, 哚 as a sound effect covers the rest of the skill name.
难以置信的情报压 is from when Ardor Maiden glides towards Haruyuki and Bush Utan after she beats Olive Glove it is used to describe her presence
immediately after this she says something and 仿佛无伤的胜利才是自己的失策一样摇着头,若有所思的独白。 shows up
嘎啊啊啊啊 is at the part where Bush Utan goes crazy and attacks Utai the moment he hits her (more like the moment their over-ray clashes) the sound occurs
And finally 戛然定型 shows up just after Haruyuki rememebers about his visits to the shrine with his parents and seeing the Miko dance. it is used to describe Utai's dancing
Baka Tsuki username: Heikichi
vister1
Astral Realm

Post by vister1 »

The First wrote: 难以置信的情报压 is from when Ardor Maiden glides towards Haruyuki and Bush Utan after she beats Olive Glove it is used to describe her presence
Based on what you describe here and your literal translation from before, wouldn't this be something like 'unbelievable mental pressure' or 'incredible mental pressure'
I may be missing some of the context but, it seems like Utai just beat Olive Glove effortlessly/impressively and now approaches the other two who are now experiencing a sense of intimidation or awe, hence the feeling of pressure.
The First wrote: immediately after this she says something and 仿佛无伤的胜利才是自己的失策一样摇着头,若有所思的独白。 shows up
This seems like it is the mental dialog of someone. You'll need to figure out who is supposed to be thinking this to assemble it correctly. Is this the thoughts of Utai who is shaking her head or is it the thoughts of someone/everyone watching Utai shake her head?

Kinda like 'She shakes her head while thinking a victory without taking damage is the same as a blunder/mistake.' or 'She is shaking her head as if a victory without damage is a blunder/mistake. Thought Haruyuki/Utan/everyone.' These are of course a little rearranged as well.

I don't really think I can offer anything for the rest of it. Also I'm nowhere near as experienced as just about everyone else here so take these suggestions w/ a large bag of salt.
Xplorer30
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Xplorer30 »

The First wrote:哚 just after Olive tries to use Dark shoot but only manages to say it partially, 哚 as a sound effect covers the rest of the skill name.
「だ……〈ダーク・ショ……〉」
Oh, that's just unfinished skill name of "Shot", so maybe just put Sh...
难以置信的情报压 is from when Ardor Maiden glides towards Haruyuki and Bush Utan after she beats Olive Glove it is used to describe her presence
〈信じられないほどの情報圧〉
Unbelieveable amount of information pressure.
immediately after this she says something and 仿佛无伤的胜利才是自己的失策一样摇着头,若有所思的独白。 shows up
まるで、無傷での勝利が失策だったかのようにそっと首を振る。続けて、思案するような独白。
She shook her head, as if the unscratched victory was mistake. Continuing, was her thought like monolog.
嘎啊啊啊啊 is at the part where Bush Utan goes crazy and attacks Utai the moment he hits her (more like the moment their over-ray clashes) the sound occurs
「オオォォォォ……〈ダーク・ブロウ〉ッ!!」
Just a bunch of "OOoooo..." like sound of shouting. But if you mean this sound effect instead, then:

ガアァァァン!!
It's a heavy impact sound of "GAaaan!!".
And finally 戛然定型 shows up just after Haruyuki rememebers about his visits to the shrine with his parents and seeing the Miko dance. it is used to describe Utai's dancing
どこかで、こんな光景を見た気がする。そう、幼い頃《ころ》に両親と初詣《はつもうで》に行った大きな神社で、何かの舞台を見たのだ。玄妙な雅楽《ががく》が流れるなか、白い衣に赤い袴《はかま》を着けた女の人が、扇子《せんす》を片手に舞っていた。まさしく今の謡《ウタイ》の姿そのものだが、幾《いく》つか違いもある。昔見た舞台では仮面など着けていなかったし、動きも謡のほうがダイナミックだ。緩急《かんきゅう》が大きく、要所でぴしりと止まるその舞は、見事と言うよりない。

Somewhere in that paragraph maybe, but I don't know which words you are refering to.
The First
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

its some where here 緩急《かんきゅう》が大きく、要所でぴしりと止まるその舞は、見事と言うよりない i can't read japanese so i'm not sure where but from the kanji i can definitely say its here.
Last edited by The First on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The First
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

Xplorer30 wrote:
The First wrote:哚 just after Olive tries to use Dark shoot but only manages to say it partially, 哚 as a sound effect covers the rest of the skill name.
「だ……〈ダーク・ショ……〉」
Oh, that's just unfinished skill name of "Shot", so maybe just put Sh...
its literally the next word after it
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by theUnbreakableSky »

Now that I'm back from outfield, I can give decent replies now:

I wrote a summary for V6 awhile bal, and translated a small portion of the battle in question. The link is here, on Animesuki forums.

Within in it is also the 'casting' lyrics of Utai; It's not a good translation. As you've noticed, the fan translation made the lyrics rhyme, but their Japanese source is a Noh play. I'll have to do a little research for that.

Finally, the answer for 戛然定型 might be masterpiece, as I wrote in the translation. See if it fits, if not I'm rereading this portion anyway.
The First
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

theUnbreakableSky wrote:Now that I'm back from outfield, I can give decent replies now:

I wrote a summary for V6 awhile bal, and translated a small portion of the battle in question. The link is here, on Animesuki forums.

Within in it is also the 'casting' lyrics of Utai; It's not a good translation. As you've noticed, the fan translation made the lyrics rhyme, but their Japanese source is a Noh play. I'll have to do a little research for that.

Finally, the answer for 戛然定型 might be masterpiece, as I wrote in the translation. See if it fits, if not I'm rereading this portion anyway.
its not masterpiece it's something about the posture of the dance (定型=posture) but i'll just use what you translated and you can edit the rest later. would you mind if i replace the part i translated with yours?
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

Do as you see fit; I'll try to get a copy of V6 in chinese asap so that I can edit V6.6 and up. My army schedule seems to be a lot more forgiving from now till year end.
The First
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

location check 环七道路 and 青梅街道 sadly i don't know any locations in japan so i can't translate any of the locations unless this actually means seventh annular road and ome street. (used google translate and i decided not to use green plum)
also i seem to have great difficulties with translating chinese onomatopeia to english do you know any sites that may help? 啊咧 need helping translating this.
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

I'm only sure the first one should be Seven Rings Highway or something; this location appeared in one of the other translated volumes as well. Best guess for the other is still Aome / Ome Street, need a J>E translator for this. Tap, any ideas?

Context needed for that onomatopoeia, I don't have an easy time either :P
Xplorer30
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Xplorer30 »

The First wrote:its some where here 緩急《かんきゅう》が大きく、要所でぴしりと止まるその舞は、見事と言うよりない i can't read japanese so i'm not sure where but from the kanji i can definitely say its here.
The fast paced, sudden stop at stragic points dance, could only be called superb ( 見事 has a lot of similar expressions).

「だ……〈ダーク・ショ……〉」
 発声されかけた技の名前を、とすっ、という軽い音が遮った。

You can see the next line after that cut shot skill shout. The only thing that might be what you want is the とすっ sound effect. Which is sort of like "Thud" of an arrow hitting someone.
The First
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

theUnbreakableSky wrote:I'm only sure the first one should be Seven Rings Highway or something; this location appeared in one of the other translated volumes as well. Best guess for the other is still Aome / Ome Street, need a J>E translator for this. Tap, any ideas?

Context needed for that onomatopoeia, I don't have an easy time either :P
never mind i'll translate it as 'huh' since it fits the context and i suppose i'll use ome street until either a better name or proper name is decided
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

青梅街道 confirmed as Oume Street.

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”