Accel World: Format, Style, Names & Terminology

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Accel World: Format, Style, Names & Terminology

Post by theUnbreakableSky »

If someone can help me romanise the following sentence:
Spoiler! :
I just need to understand and note the last kanji there.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

ついでに心意技との違いは、
tsu de ni shin'i waza to no chigai wa
"In addition, the difference(s) with incarnation skills would be"
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

Alright. For the record, that was resolved as “Chiyuri-kun, do you understand that explanation of the differences between abilities, special moves, and Incarnation?”

Also Tap, when do you choose to italicise words written in katakana? For V11.4 I had to resort to doing that for much of the explanation bits.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Hmm? For SAO?

I mostly just did that in v12 to point out the bits Cardinal spoke in English (since Eugeo wouldn't understand those) / sacred arts (system commands).
As a "look-at-this-something-special-happened" thing.

If it's perfectly normal English that everyone would understand (no made-up terms, etc), I don't really see much need for it.
Breakdown16
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Breakdown16 »

Hi guys, I'm alive.

So is it Hermes Code or Hermes Cord? Older updates say Hermes Code; newer ones (i.e. volume 5) say Hermes Cord.
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

I'd say Cord...in context, 'code' is much less likely to be the thing to hold a space station down.
Breakdown16
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Breakdown16 »

I currently have three major issues with my volume 8 translations. Two of them were posted on page one of this thread.
Breakdown16 wrote:柔法 = ? my original suggestions: gentle way/method/technique. Kai Ding's suggestions: Power Redirection, Gentle Conduction. My revised suggestion: gentle redirection.
心傷殻 = ? The most natural translation I came up with was "the shell of the wound in one's heart," but that's so long-winded. Shorter versions like the literal "heart wound shell" sound awkward.
1. For 柔法, I would like to use "gentle redirection." It preserves the idea embedded in the first kanji, which literally means "gentle", and "redirection" is an indication of what 柔法 actually does, though it's not stated in its name. If not, then I would go with the literal "gentle way."
2. As for 心傷殻, Tusjecht aka theUnbreakableSky suggested "shell of trauma" on page one. I think this fits nicely, so I will use this term unless anyone objects.
3. The last one is not related to any term in particular. It's the following line from volume 8, chapter 8, p. 208 of the Japanese raw:
ーそ、そうかな?ていうかソレ余計にマズイ気も?
Literally, it's something like the following: "—Was, was that so? Speaking of which, that unnecessarily bad feeling as well?" However, that doesn't make sense in context. Context:
Spoiler! :
After collapsing earlier in the day during a basketball match, Haruyuki is now fine and is on his way to committee activities, i.e. taking caring of the owl Hou. While walking there, he is assaulted by the phenomenon known as overflow, where one's negative Mind Power (anger, despair, etc.) overflows, and one loses control. During the phenomenon, he hears voices, one of whose is the Disaster's, and experiences intense pain. He shuts his eyes, and someone steadies his body. He hugs that person tightly, who happens to be Utai. After feeling a little better, he opens his eyes and panics when he realizes that he's embracing her. At this point, here's what the raw says:

【UI>気にする必要はないのです、有田さん。恐らくここはソーシャルカメラ視界外ですから】
ーそ、そうかな?ていうかソレ余計にマズイ気も?
と一瞬思ったが口には出さず、ハルユキはより論理的な弁解を試みた。

My current version:
【UI> There is no need to worry, Arita-san. We are probably out of view of the social cameras.】
—Was, was that so? Speaking of which, that unnecessarily bad feeling as well?
For an instant, he had thought that but did not put it into words; Haruyuki tried to make a more logical justification.
I've been so frustrated by this line; I've come back to it three or four times and still have no freaking clue what it's supposed to mean. Any help would be much appreciated.
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

I don't have an official translation on hand, so this was what I could get from the fan translation:
[UI> 没必要太在意,有田学长。因为这里大概是社会治安摄像头的盲区】
  ——是、是这样么?话说回来,这岂不是显得更糟糕了?
  有一瞬间这么想到但没有说出口,春雪尝试着用更理论的说法来辩解。
Now to address that reply in particular, it would be "was, was that so/as such? In oter words, was it not clearly even worse?"

What I believe the fan translator is thinking from this line would be that it's Haruyuki wondering if it's even worse to have been embracing Utai out of the Camera's view, akin to a lovers' meeting or tryst of sorts. The phrase 'bad feeling' is clearly absent from this translation.

Of course, it might also be an indirect demonstration of Haruyuki's fidelity to KYH, but that is my own guess.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Breakdown16 wrote:ーそ、そうかな?ていうかソレ余計にマズイ気も?
"—Re-Really? Wait, isn't that even worse?"

It's mostly there in Tus's interpretation.
"Wouldn't it (not being within the social cameras' range) make it (this act of embracing you) (get an) even worse (connotation)?
Breakdown16
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Breakdown16 »

Even after I've heard both of your explanations, this is one of those very rare cases where I still don't get it...ah well, I'll trust your judgments. Thanks for the counsel.
theUnbreakableSky
Project Translator

Well in all honesty, that line smacks of "author's awareness" - a perspective that couldn't possiblt be known by Haruyuki in-universe.
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

Read up on guilt and shame societies.
The First
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

hi i need some help with volume 6 chapter 6.
did i translate this correctly? 带有和风特色的服饰一样=gives the apparel a distinguishing feature like the wind.

and i need some help with translating 更具冲击性的,莫过于覆盖. thx

Edit: also would 请多多关照的说 be 'please take care of me' or should i use the google translate version of 'thank you in advance'?
Baka Tsuki username: Heikichi
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

和风 = Japanese-style

更具冲击性的,莫过于覆盖
Most shocking of all was the level of coverage.

If the context is talking about clothing, then replace "the level of coverage" with "how revealing it was".

请多多关照的说 is just your regular bread-and-butter "yoroshiku ne" (or more polite equivalents).
On first introductions, the meaning would be along the lines of "nice to meet you."
The First
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

thx zzhk.
i have another problem. Utai says "aside from 钝钝 you can call me whatever you like." but as far as i know that's just saying dull twice. and this is in the context of a name so i'm not really sure how to translate it.
Baka Tsuki username: Heikichi

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”