Accel World - OCR help with Original LN

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Astral Realm

Accel World - OCR help with Original LN

Post by Guest »

Hi. As everybody knows Yen Press has bought the rights and Baka-Tsuki will not support the translation of the remaining volumes. I was very sad and depressed but managed to bought volumes 6 till 12 in Japanese. The problem is I can`t read Japanese at all and I was hoping to scan, ocr and translate it by myself. Is there an easy way, or do I really need to learn Japanese?
Thanks. I`m from Brazil, try to imagine how hard it is to find a Japanese teacher... :?
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Accel World - OCR help with Original LN

Post by rpapo »

Guest wrote:Hi. As everybody knows Yen Press has bought the rights and Baka-Tsuki will not support the translation of the remaining volumes. I was very sad and depressed but managed to bought volumes 6 till 12 in Japanese. The problem is I can`t read Japanese at all and I was hoping to scan, ocr and translate it by myself. Is there an easy way, or do I really need to learn Japanese?
Thanks. I`m from Brazil, try to imagine how hard it is to find a Japanese teacher... :?
Actually, there are many Japanese in Brasil. It has or had one of the largest expatriot populations of Japanese in the world. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_people#Diaspora

Beyond that, though, machine translators are still pretty poor unless the languages in question are closely related. And Japanese, apart from borrowed words (i.e. Portuguese 'pan' = bread), bears little resemblance to European languages, in structure, in vocabulary or in thought process.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Yeah, but Brazil is very big and in my city there are few or none japaneses. Anyway, thanks for the reply, I feel sad just to hold the LN.
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

Okay guest-san, I am Brazilian, and I live in a city on the coutry-side on RS, I managed to learn Japanese by myself(Even though I'm on halfway with it). There's nothing hard(not easy though), but you can do it by yourself if you can't get a teacher, like I did.
Call me Nurin!

nickolaslr
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nickolaslr »

Nura rihan wrote:Okay guest-san, I am Brazilian, and I live in a city on the coutry-side on RS, I managed to learn Japanese by myself(Even though I'm on halfway with it). There's nothing hard(not easy though), but you can do it by yourself if you can't get a teacher, like I did.
English: Dude thanks. I wonder if you could give me some tips. I mean, I don't even know where to start, should I go straight to the "alphabet"?
I've tried to translate every "syllabary", but as the LN is written in vertical, everything is put together and there is no space or punctuation I couldn't understand at all.

Portuguese: Cara obrigado. Poderia me passar algumas dicas? Não sei nem por onde começar. Digo, devo começar decorando o "alfabeto"?
Outra dúvida, tentei traduzir "letra" por "letra" mas como na light-novel está tudo emendado, na vertical, e não existe espaço ou pontuação não entendi nada, existe alguma regra?

Thanks e obrigado!
ニコラス
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

I also had this kind of feeling when I started, but start learning Katakana and Hiragana, when you learn them, you start with the kanji. I think you can also read some grammar books, it'll help you to understand the sentences, once you get something done you'll understand why of everything.

Regards. 8)
Call me Nurin!

nickolaslr
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nickolaslr »

Nura rihan wrote:I also had this kind of feeling when I started, but start learning Katakana and Hiragana, when you learn them, you start with the kanji. I think you can also read some grammar books, it'll help you to understand the sentences, once you get something done you'll understand why of everything.

Regards. 8)
Thanks again, sorry for calling you a dude. :lol:
ニコラス
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

nickolaslr wrote:English: Dude thanks. I wonder if you could give me some tips. I mean, I don't even know where to start, should I go straight to the "alphabet"? I've tried to translate every "syllabary", but as the LN is written in vertical, everything is put together and there is no space or punctuation I couldn't understand at all.
There's no question you must master the kana (both hiragana and katakana). As for the text being laid out without spaces . . . well, it's something you have to get used to. Back in the beginning I wrote a computer program to take the text and break it up based on dictionary lookups, but now I simply scan the text myself. The more complicated words generally start with a kanji symbol, but many other words are kana only. After a while, you get a feel for how the language is structured, and can parse it for yourself better than any computer program can.

But make no mistake: it takes a while.
nickolaslr
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nickolaslr »

rpapo wrote:
nickolaslr wrote:English: Dude thanks. I wonder if you could give me some tips. I mean, I don't even know where to start, should I go straight to the "alphabet"? I've tried to translate every "syllabary", but as the LN is written in vertical, everything is put together and there is no space or punctuation I couldn't understand at all.
There's no question you must master the kana (both hiragana and katakana). As for the text being laid out without spaces . . . well, it's something you have to get used to. Back in the beginning I wrote a computer program to take the text and break it up based on dictionary lookups, but now I simply scan the text myself. The more complicated words generally start with a kanji symbol, but many other words are kana only. After a while, you get a feel for how the language is structured, and can parse it for yourself better than any computer program can.

But make no mistake: it takes a while.
Thanks a lot! Let's see If I can learn it before Yen Press releases all the volumes! :D
ニコラス

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”