[Ch 4] Clarification

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Nandeyanen
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

[Ch 4] Clarification

Post by Nandeyanen »

Asahina-san rubbed her bitten wrist and asked terrifyingly
Is terrifyingly the correct word? The reason I ask, is that I can't really imagine Mikuru terrifying anyone.
Nandeyanen
Senior Project Editor

Post by Nandeyanen »

Looks like she's trying very hard to explain this difficult to understand fact.
Would it still be correct if I altered it to: "Looks like she's trying very hard to simplify this very complicated phenomenon." ?
Nandeyanen
Senior Project Editor

Post by Nandeyanen »

How about ambushing Haruhi from behind and knocking her unconscious until the school festival?
Until the school festival starts, or until it ends?
Speaking of which, I find the sight of Nagato biting Asahina-san rather hard to visualize. What did she inject?
Wondering if this is correct, as it was mentioned just earlier that Mikuru was injected with nanomachines.
Just being bitten by someone in that costume is enough to send one's soul to the other world.
Is it underworld? Or is it just implied, and actually just written as other world?
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Quote:
Asahina-san rubbed her bitten wrist and asked terrifyingly

Is terrifyingly the correct word? The reason I ask, is that I can't really imagine Mikuru terrifying anyone.
My bad, I meant Mikuru asking looking very terrified of what just happened. I don't know if "terrified" is the right word, but she does look troubled.

The Taiwanese text used 戰戰剋剋. All my Chinese-English dictionaries were useless when it comes to finding out the English equivalent to this term. So, help me out, editors.
Quote:
Looks like she's trying very hard to explain this difficult to understand fact.

Would it still be correct if I altered it to: "Looks like she's trying very hard to simplify this very complicated phenomenon." ?
Agreed.
Quote:
How about ambushing Haruhi from behind and knocking her unconscious until the school festival?

Until the school festival starts, or until it ends?
Until it ends.
Quote:
Speaking of which, I find the sight of Nagato biting Asahina-san rather hard to visualize. What did she inject?

Wondering if this is correct, as it was mentioned just earlier that Mikuru was injected with nanomachines.
Maybe Kyon was wondering what kind of nanomachines were being injected into Mikuru?
Quote:
Just being bitten by someone in that costume is enough to send one's soul to the other world.

Is it underworld? Or is it just implied, and actually just written as other world?
Kyon never specified, so I guess it must be implied one's soul is sent to the underworld.
Nandeyanen
Senior Project Editor

Post by Nandeyanen »

When 'terrified' is used, is it referring to how Mikuru looks, or how her voice/tone sounds?
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Nandeyanen wrote:When 'terrified' is used, is it referring to how Mikuru looks, or how her voice/tone sounds?
How she sounds, I guess. But with her personality, she'd probably look terrified as well. :lol:
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Post by SubordinateFive »

Kinny Riddle wrote:戰戰剋剋
My Chinese-English-Chinese dictionary says it's zhan4zhan4jing1jing1: (1) quivering with fear, (2) cautiously, with caution.

My dictionary (Pocket Oxford Chinese Dictionary) uses simplified characters with traditional characters in brackets.

(Off-topic detour: Do your dictionaries use simplified or traditional characters? And which characters are used in Taiwan? Just curious.)
Kinny Riddle wrote:Asahina-san rubbed her bitten wrist and asked terrifyingly
Suggestion: "Asahina-san rubbed her bitten wrist and asked, trembling with fear."
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

SubordinateFive wrote:
Kinny Riddle wrote:戰戰剋剋
My Chinese-English-Chinese dictionary says it's zhan4zhan4jing1jing1: (1) quivering with fear, (2) cautiously, with caution.

oh yo--what?

wait a minute back up. You got a Chinese-english-chinese dictionary?

How does that work?

You grab the Chinese word, translate it into English then back into Chinese?

It's that going round in circles?

I can see it now:

1#: What does "Ahou" means?

2#: lemme loook in my Japanese-English-Japanese dictionary.

Ahou means...Stupid, which means....Ahou.

1#: so?

2#: it means "ahou"

1#: ........

:roll:
Last edited by onizuka-gto on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
rottenfeet
Astral Realm

Post by rottenfeet »

戰戰剋剋 = zhan4zhan4ke4ke4. it carries the meaning of tremor/quiver + uncertain/hesitant

Translation of 4 character idioms are like are asking "who's the demon in hell" because they are so open to interpretation.

So, probable choices may be "Asahina-san rubbed her bitten wrist and stuttered hesitantly/in trepidation"

Taiwan chinese characters are Big5/traditional chinese.
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Post by SubordinateFive »

To onizuka-gto: I forgot to mention in my original post that I copied-and-pasted Kinny's characters in Wakan to get the pinyin and then looked up the pinyin in my character dictionary.

And—taking a closer look at the characters—I seem to have translated the wrong characters anyway. :oops: They look similar, but when I zoom in (in Firefox) I see that they're different (compared to what was in the dictionary.)

Sorry everybody! (My above suggestion should still be OK, though, in light of rottenfeet's interpretation.)
Nandeyanen
Senior Project Editor

Post by Nandeyanen »

If I were a member of the Motion Picture Association, I wouldn't hesitate to give this movie a R-15 rating.
Err... R-15 rating? Did you mean R? Or perhaps NC-17? Also, is the MPA specifically mentioned, or could Kyon have meant something along the lines of a (possibly student) board that overlooks movie entries. Possibly something of a Motion Picture Advisory Board?
Nandeyanen
Senior Project Editor

Post by Nandeyanen »

As the female lead had fallen unconscious, filming had to be stopped.
How about using 'postponed' instead?
I began to suspect whether she'd been drugged.
I think it should either be, "I began to wonder whether she'd been drugged." or "I began to suspect that she'd been drugged."
Nagato, who probably didn't need to appear, was sitting behind me and Tsuruya-san and was still sucking her juice with a straw.
I don't know whether or not these should be corrected, as grammatically, it's more correct to have it be "______-san and me (or I in some cases)". However, I think it might alter the feel of Kyon's speech if it were altered. Any opinions?
Nandeyanen
Senior Project Editor

Post by Nandeyanen »

Asahina-san quickly ran over, and said incomprehensibly
It should probably be 'nearly unintelligibly' or 'barely intelligibly'. Though I'd probably reword the sentence a bit to something like "Asahina-san quickly ran over, and said in a ______ voice,".
"Hee hee, Mikuru-chan finds it... funny…"
This is very minor, but I'm curious on whether the "..." were in the original text, as they seem rather oddly placed. I think it would be more effective as, "Hee hee! Mikuru-chan finds it funny!" but I would prefer to stick to the original text...
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Nandeyanen wrote:
If I were a member of the Motion Picture Association, I wouldn't hesitate to give this movie a R-15 rating.
Err... R-15 rating? Did you mean R? Or perhaps NC-17? Also, is the MPA specifically mentioned, or could Kyon have meant something along the lines of a (possibly student) board that overlooks movie entries. Possibly something of a Motion Picture Advisory Board?
I merely used a name that was similar to the American's MPAA so that you westerners can have an idea. Go ahead and change it to a more appropriate name, like the "Movie Censorship Board" of something.

R-15 is a rating found in Japan, I don't know the American/European equivalent. While 18+ would be for sex/violence, R-15 would be for milder stuff like breast shots.

A recent example would be the SHUFFLE! anime, with later episodes classified as "R-15" for lots of boob shots.
xiaomingtc
Astral Realm

Post by xiaomingtc »

rottenfeet wrote:戰戰剋剋 = zhan4zhan4ke4ke4. it carries the meaning of tremor/quiver + uncertain/hesitant

Translation of 4 character idioms are like are asking "who's the demon in hell" because they are so open to interpretation.

So, probable choices may be "Asahina-san rubbed her bitten wrist and stuttered hesitantly/in trepidation"

Taiwan chinese characters are Big5/traditional chinese.
...I'm sure 戰戰剋剋=zhan4zhan4jing1jing1(zhànzhànjīngjīng) and it means "meticulously"...

In simplified Chinese it's "战战兢兢"...

btw, ahou( あほう in kara and 阿呆 in kanji) means fool(n.)....

Return to “Volume 2 - The Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第二巻: 涼宮ハルヒの溜息”