marilyn manson?

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

shaula
Astral Realm

marilyn manson?

Post by shaula »

I saw posted that Volume 2 is "finished", but I was just browsing it when I ran into the following passage at the end of chapter 3:
Yet Haruhi doesn't look worried at all. She stuffed all the equipment to me, and wearing only her armband, she gave an impeccable smile,

"Then we'll meet tomorrow! I'll make sure this movie is a success. No, since I'm the director, success is already guaranteed. The rest is up to you. Make sure you're punctual! Absentees will be personally executed by me!"

After making this announcement, she left humming the tune of "Rock is Dead" by Marilyn Manson.
In the original Japanese, is Haruhi really humming a Marilyn Manson tune? This seems totally out of character, culturally and individually. I am curious because it seems really strange.
Umiman
Line Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Umiman »

Heh heh heh. I remember reading that and chuckling. 8)

Well, if we assumed the song to be the correct one, (since there's another one which is the theme from Blade if I'm not mistaken) lets analyze the similarities between Suzumiya and Manson.

1. Apathy and disdain towards their fellow peoples.
2. Thinks normal is boring, stupid, and worthless.
3. Desire to recreate the world to their point-of-view.
4. Likes Pheonix Wright.

:!:
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Yup, says it right here:
そんなことを宣告し、マリリン・マンソンの『ロック・イズ・デッド』を口ずさみながら歩き去った。
マリリン・マンソン = "MARIRIN MANSON"
ロック・イズ・デッド = "ROKKU IZU DEDDO"
=Smidge=
TallGuy
Astral Realm

Re: marilyn manson?

Post by TallGuy »

shaula wrote:In the original Japanese, is Haruhi really humming a Marilyn Manson tune? This seems totally out of character, culturally and individually. I am curious because it seems really strange.
All the songs she sings in that story are songs or theme songs from films. "Rock is dead" by Marilyn Manson was used in the Matrix 3, it was the main theme and played during the credits.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

I always assumed those were just the translator's own localization. By the way, didn't book 2 get released before Matrix 3?
shaula
Astral Realm

Post by shaula »

Wow. Thank you Smidge and TallGuy. That's kinda interesting. I did not think Marilyn Manson had that much of a following in Japan, especially among high school girls, but if Haruhi got it from the Matrix I guess it makes more sense. Btw, "Rock is Dead" was run during the end credits of the first Matrix movie back in 1999?, and I think the first Suzumiya book came out in 2003?, so it is certainly plausible that the Matrix was the inspiration for this particular item.

Of course, I am impressed Kyon was able to recognize a hummed version of that song. It does not exactly lend itself humming except maybe the chorus, and that part is pretty short...
TallGuy
Astral Realm

Post by TallGuy »

Well, I stand corrected. To be honest, I only got the information from wikipedia myself. It looks like the wiki page I got the information from has been changed since.
After digging a bit harder, turns out that "Rock is dead" was indeed used in the first Matrix movie for the end credits.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Really? I thought it was RATM's "Wake Up" (Although I basically never watch the credits all the way through, so I they probably played both songs)

That's an interesting bit of trivia, especially when you consider the parallels between the Matrix and Haruhi.
=Smidge=
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

I would never attempt to make up a "localized name" just to suit the target readership, I translate whatever name's been written directly. So whatever name you see is what was in the original as well.
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

Good for you Kinny. You deserve a prize.

*Hands kinny riddle translator award*
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

/topicchange

Nobody wants that kinda award... COOKIES > ALL

TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I'll drink to that.

Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Damn that beer's like bigger then your body.

I'd like to take a drink outa that beer.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

^ Thats really a man...
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

... >.>

Really?

Return to “Volume 2 - The Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第二巻: 涼宮ハルヒの溜息”