Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu Series

General discussion related to Dai Densetsu no Yūsha no Densetsu & Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Dai Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu?

It was good! Please do more!
97%
It was interesting.
3%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
No votes

Total votes: 473

blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Legend of the legendary Heroes

Post by blewin »

yay, moved!
been reading some spoilers on animesuki. Can't wait to read more translated chapters. :D
Kadi
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Kadi »

Welcome to your new, comfy home int he AuxBrigades. Finally some fresh blood after CSR and Index were... let's say outsourced. It was a bit boring, to tell the truth.

Therefore: May the onrush of fanboys never cease and the editors never sleep. Wait, you don't have an editor yet, right? Anyway(s?), good luck with the project from here on out. People expect a lot, after all, so feel free to let them wait a bit. That always helps me cheer up :twisted: ...
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Heh yeah, having dedicated editors would be nice. When I translate, my mind is pretty much in Jap mode, and gets into mental blocks often when trying to say the same thing in natural English. :lol: It's only during proof-reading, that I managed to make it more decent, but still there are many times when I'm still stuck with that literal translation here and there :oops:

Speaking of that, I have a specific translation dilemma for this title, which I feel won't fit in the Lingua thread.
That is 英雄(Eiyuu) vs 勇者(Yuusha). Since Sion is known as 英雄王(Eiyuu-ou), and Refal is known as 勇者王(Yuusha-ou), and the relics are known as 勇者の遺物, and the tile is 伝説の勇者の伝説, it presents an interesting problem.

Both 英雄 and 勇者 can be translated as hero (a noun). Thus 英雄王 and 勇者王, which are both nouns in Japanese, and can be translated to hero king (rather than heroic king). But 英雄 kanji is closer to hero, while 勇者 is closer to brave / courageous / valorous person. Consistency dictates that, due to the official translation of the title and relics, yuusha should be translated as hero. But in English, this means that we can't differentiate between the two. At times in the novel, the two kings are referenced by these titles, which can create ambiguity in English until the reader reads the context surrounding the reference.

There are a few possibilities. Keep using "hero" for both to maintain consistency and use translator notes when there is possible ambiguity. Keep them in romanized Japanese and use translator notes. Use different English words for Eiyuu-ou and Yuusha-ou; Hero King for the former, and Valor King for the later, but when the "Yuusha" word is used individually, just use the word "hero". Any suggestions on this?

Just a little foreshadowing: Chapter 2 is 82 pages of text, and it's all Ryner and Ferris, with lots of humor and decent amount of action. It's coming soon so stay tuned! :D
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Let's see... Here's what I think:
  • Both "hero": No. Too ambiguous. And while I'm fond of TL-notes, they shouldn't be used that way, I think. They'd come up too often for people to bother checking out what "hero" it is at that point, so the ambiguity stays.
    Romanized Japanese: No. Doesn't feel right. Too long and odd with the -ou. Yuusha and Eiyuu alone would have worked, so it's no rejection out of principle, but the -ou screws it up. At least for me.
    Different English words: Only choice left. For consistency with the official conventions, you should stick with Yuusha=Hero. And although Eiyuu-ou is closer to Hero King than Yuusha-ou, I'd still translate it as Brave King or something. You DO mix it up that way, but now you can add one TL-note when it first comes up and then you don't need to bother with it anymore. Reader's don't care about how close the translation is anyway, and it's the least confusing solution I see.
Short version: Yuusha(-ou)=Hero (King), Eiyuu-ou=Brave/Heroic/suit yourself King.
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
zodanhko
Astral Realm

Post by zodanhko »

larethian wrote: Just a little foreshadowing: Chapter 2 is 82 pages of text, and it's all Ryner and Ferris, with lots of humor and decent amount of action. It's coming soon so stay tuned! :D
I'll be looking forward to it. ^.^
Thanks for chapter 1. It was a great read.
blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by blewin »

Kadi wrote:Let's see... Here's what I think:
  • Both "hero": No. Too ambiguous. And while I'm fond of TL-notes, they shouldn't be used that way, I think. They'd come up too often for people to bother checking out what "hero" it is at that point, so the ambiguity stays.
    Romanized Japanese: No. Doesn't feel right. Too long and odd with the -ou. Yuusha and Eiyuu alone would have worked, so it's no rejection out of principle, but the -ou screws it up. At least for me.
    Different English words: Only choice left. For consistency with the official conventions, you should stick with Yuusha=Hero. And although Eiyuu-ou is closer to Hero King than Yuusha-ou, I'd still translate it as Brave King or something. You DO mix it up that way, but now you can add one TL-note when it first comes up and then you don't need to bother with it anymore. Reader's don't care about how close the translation is anyway, and it's the least confusing solution I see.
Short version: Yuusha(-ou)=Hero (King), Eiyuu-ou=Brave/Heroic/suit yourself King.
I concur. Using romaji is a good way to avoid confusion. I do the same. One explanatory note on the translation page is enough to make it stick in readers' minds. As a fellow reader myself, I tend to skip explanations too if they aren't on the same page... very bad yeah.
giorno
Astral Realm

Post by giorno »

firstly, many thanks to Larethian for translating this

secondly, i can't see the project among the light novels list, and neither in the teaser section...so, what happened to it?
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

secondly, i can't see the project among the light novels list, and neither in the teaser section...so, what happened to it?
Try looking again. It should appear on the main page now.
Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

larethian wrote:There are a few possibilities. Keep using "hero" for both to maintain consistency and use translator notes when there is possible ambiguity. Keep them in romanized Japanese and use translator notes. Use different English words for Eiyuu-ou and Yuusha-ou; Hero King for the former, and Valor King for the later, but when the "Yuusha" word is used individually, just use the word "hero". Any suggestions on this?
You could translate them both as Hero regardless and add the respective person being referred to, like Hero King Sion, but that could possibly cause later issues if they do some word-play (like they know the Hero King but not his name). As Kadi suggested, you could also refer to them as the Hero King and Heroic King, though this might confuse some readers since they may not see the difference until the book really throws it around. I also don't think the romaji version will quite work in this scenario, so being liberal about it is a fine choice — Valor king, Brave King, Champion King, (insert thesaurus), whichever it ends up is fine with me.

This does make me wonder if the official translators will at some point have to deal with this.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Thanks for all your feedback. After some thought, I don't think I would go with romaji for this case, because it will be confusing to a person who knows zero Japanese, since at times Sion also get referred to as Yuusha, because of
Spoiler! :
the Kurutta Yuusha (The Mad Hero) that is possessing him.
. Anyway, I'm using hero for now, and will sort it out at a later date when the need arises.

For now, I bring you chapter 2 of volume 1 of Dai Denyuden. :)
Diasen
Astral Realm

Post by Diasen »

Hilarious episode. :lol:
Thanks for translating it larethian:)
xkianloongx
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by xkianloongx »

thanks for the translation...

p.s. could you add in the updates section? so we will know what chapter/edit had been made in the project
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

xkianloongx wrote:thanks for the translation...

p.s. could you add in the updates section? so we will know what chapter/edit had been made in the project
what is the updates section? the "recent changes" automatically track the updates.

And I'll be going on business trip tomorrow for 2 weeks, so chapter 3, despite being shorter, might take a little longer.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

All of a sudden, I felt like taking a 2-week break from dai denyuden. And oddly, my business trip was not as demanding as I thought. So I decided to do a breather translation, and I bring you the heart-wrenching BG story of Ferris Eris in denyuden vol 6 prologue 1.
xkianloongx
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by xkianloongx »

larethian wrote:All of a sudden, I felt like taking a 2-week break from dai denyuden. And oddly, my business trip was not as demanding as I thought. So I decided to do a breather translation, and I bring you the heart-wrenching BG story of Ferris Eris in denyuden vol 6 prologue 1.
thanks... thought i have to wait for 2 weeks to read this series

Return to “Dai Densetsu no Yūsha no Densetsu & Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi”