Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu Series

General discussion related to Dai Densetsu no Yūsha no Densetsu & Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Dai Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu?

It was good! Please do more!
97%
It was interesting.
3%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
No votes

Total votes: 473

Akirina
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu, Shounen Onmyouji, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Rental Magica

Re: Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu Series

Post by Akirina »

On the other hand, I've started to finish up DYD v5. larethian, it's ok if I finish up chapter 3, right?
Sing the praise of heroes, curse the names of the betrayers...
This is the way how history is written.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Akirina wrote:On the other hand, I've started to finish up DYD v5. larethian, it's ok if I finish up chapter 3, right?
Yup, sure. Thanks. :D
SapphireSky
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SapphireSky »

Yay! Updates again! Now time to get caught up!

So I've been reading the Japanese alongside of the English translation, currently in vol 3 and I know editors are not really supposed to mess with the translation, but i feel there are some pretty clear places where the translation can be clarified, perhaps because it was translated again from Chinese? Most of the changes I'd like to make (based on my own translation) are word usage and not changing the meaning of the sentence. let me give an example:

original translation
Noa raised her head to look at the man who was gently carrying her. A strong and pleasing face, filled with anger, it looked very strong…

But, like what she had imagined, it was different. The Red-Fingered Claugh Klom that had fought in their battle with Roland, causing the Estabul soldiers to feel fear…
the original japanese is
ノアは自分を軽々と抱きかかえる男を見上げた。精悍な、整った顔立ちに、溢れんぽか
りの怒りをたぎらせている様子は、確かに強そうだったが……
だが、想像していた姿とは、まるで違った。ローランドと戦う、エスタブールの兵たち
全てを恐れ慄かせた、紅指のクラウ・クロム…
the changes in red are the ones I'd like to make based on the words used in the Japanese version. (changes not in red are just flow of sentence changes as an editor)
Noa looked up at the man who was gently carrying her. A masculine, well featured face, boiling with overflowing anger, he certainly looked very strong, but

But it was different from what she imagined. The Crimson-Fingered Claugh Klom that had fought in their battle with Roland, causing the Estabul soldiers to tremble in fear
(Most paragraphs don't actually have this many changes)

All of those corrections are pretty literal and faithful to the original Japanese, so would you approve me making such changes?
Acperience
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Acperience »

I'll see about DYD 6, then, but again, no guarantees.

@Akirina: Also, a note, since I think that the project guidelines might've confused you: while I don't know if the Silwest family appears again (aside from in TDYD and OKYD), but just in case for future reference, Silwawest is actually one of the brothers. I've re-translated the sister as Tiilnawest and her nickname as Tiil (and replaced 'Xil' with 'Sil,' to match his name), if that's fine with you?

@SapphireSky: That was translated by Akirina, so that's their decision (just so you don't think I'm ignoring you or anything, aha).
Arcsol93
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Arcsol93 »

Kind of confused since I started with the anime but basically skip to Dai Densetsu?

On another note this story is really good, never would have thought the first/anime served as the prologue. Pretty cool way to start a story.
"It's true that the real world is a shitty game. It's both unreasonable...and illogical...But a happy end will never come to those who want to finish a difficult game with ease." -The World God Only Knows
Akirina
Favourite Light Novel: Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu, Shounen Onmyouji, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Rental Magica

Post by Akirina »

SapphireSky wrote:Yay! Updates again! Now time to get caught up!

So I've been reading the Japanese alongside of the English translation, currently in vol 3 and I know editors are not really supposed to mess with the translation, but i feel there are some pretty clear places where the translation can be clarified, perhaps because it was translated again from Chinese? Most of the changes I'd like to make (based on my own translation) are word usage and not changing the meaning of the sentence. let me give an example:

original translation
Noa raised her head to look at the man who was gently carrying her. A strong and pleasing face, filled with anger, it looked very strong…

But, like what she had imagined, it was different. The Red-Fingered Claugh Klom that had fought in their battle with Roland, causing the Estabul soldiers to feel fear…
the original japanese is
ノアは自分を軽々と抱きかかえる男を見上げた。精悍な、整った顔立ちに、溢れんぽか
りの怒りをたぎらせている様子は、確かに強そうだったが……
だが、想像していた姿とは、まるで違った。ローランドと戦う、エスタブールの兵たち
全てを恐れ慄かせた、紅指のクラウ・クロム…
the changes in red are the ones I'd like to make based on the words used in the Japanese version. (changes not in red are just flow of sentence changes as an editor)
Noa looked up at the man who was gently carrying her. A masculine, well featured face, boiling with overflowing anger, he certainly looked very strong, but

But it was different from what she imagined. The Crimson-Fingered Claugh Klom that had fought in their battle with Roland, causing the Estabul soldiers to tremble in fear
(Most paragraphs don't actually have this many changes)

All of those corrections are pretty literal and faithful to the original Japanese, so would you approve me making such changes?
Actually, I'm translating from the chinese version since I don't know Japanese... And sometimes the phrasing in Chinese seems a little odd... I'd certainly appreciate the help if you could help edit those parts! (and any subsequent translation errors, sorry for the trouble!) Now looking back on it, I realise that I translated Claugh's title wrongly... :oops:
I thought editors
Acperience wrote:I'll see about DYD 6, then, but again, no guarantees.

@Akirina: Also, a note, since I think that the project guidelines might've confused you: while I don't know if the Silwest family appears again (aside from in TDYD and OKYD), but just in case for future reference, Silwawest is actually one of the brothers. I've re-translated the sister as Tiilnawest and her nickname as Tiil (and replaced 'Xil' with 'Sil,' to match his name), if that's fine with you?

@SapphireSky: That was translated by Akirina, so that's their decision (just so you don't think I'm ignoring you or anything, aha).
Really? :shock: Oops! I do admit that the project guidelines are a little confusing... but I didn't see any sign of the translation for the names of the Silwest family...I'm fine with the re-translation, since I always have trouble when I have to translate the names of places or people... Could you put their names up on the project guidelines as well?
Arcsol93 wrote:Kind of confused since I started with the anime but basically skip to Dai Densetsu?

On another note this story is really good, never would have thought the first/anime served as the prologue. Pretty cool way to start a story.
According to larethian, Denyuuden has some scenes that weren't mentioned in the anime... But, if you'd like to know what happens after the anime, then you should proceed to Dai Densetsu. Actually, aren't there some animes/mangas like this? I heard Tokage has a prologue in the form of a manga, but the actual series begins in the novels... It'd be really cool if there were a second anime to continue off from Dai Densetsu, though...
Acperience
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Acperience »

Sure! I'll put them under the one-time characters section, since aside from Sil (who's a recurring character in TDYD), I don't know for sure if the other two re-appear.

On the note of names (and I'm sorry, because this one is just me nit-picking): would it be possible to change Reeglewaz/Reez's decided name to Rigwaltz/Rize? Rigwaltz is apparently his name in the anime according to the credits, and it and Rize just look more like actual names to me. xD Not trying to criticize your romanization or anything, since I definitely agree that trying to translate names can be pretty hard (given that I'm just taking these from the anime myself), but yeah.
SapphireSky
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SapphireSky »

Akirina wrote:
Actually, I'm translating from the chinese version since I don't know Japanese... And sometimes the phrasing in Chinese seems a little odd... I'd certainly appreciate the help if you could help edit those parts! (and any subsequent translation errors, sorry for the trouble!) Now looking back on it, I realise that I translated Claugh's title wrongly... :oops:
I thought editors
Your translations are still really good, considering, it can't be helped if the words aren't the same in Chinese, but the meanings seem spot on. I still have a lot of trouble understanding anything but the most simple sentence structures on my own. Even when I understand all the words, I still don't always know what they're saying so it's good practice for me.
Kuroshiki
Literature Club Member

Post by Kuroshiki »

Thank you Akirina for DDYD 7 chapter 3 .
I will wait for the chapter 4 before starting to read DDYD 7.
As always, thanks for your hard work, and take your time.
(Started translating some LN in French recently and I now
understand how hard it is . )
Akirina

Post by Akirina »

Acperience wrote:Sure! I'll put them under the one-time characters section, since aside from Sil (who's a recurring character in TDYD), I don't know for sure if the other two re-appear.

On the note of names (and I'm sorry, because this one is just me nit-picking): would it be possible to change Reeglewaz/Reez's decided name to Rigwaltz/Rize? Rigwaltz is apparently his name in the anime according to the credits, and it and Rize just look more like actual names to me. xD Not trying to criticize your romanization or anything, since I definitely agree that trying to translate names can be pretty hard (given that I'm just taking these from the anime myself), but yeah.
Haha, actually, that translation wasn't done by me... One of the previous translators did the guidelines. I'm fine with it, though.
By the way, larethian created viewtopic.php?f=61&t=5455 this for discussion on terminology. Can we create a section for one-time characters or something? It'll make it easier if some of them are recurring.
Acperience
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Acperience »

Akirina wrote:
Acperience wrote:Sure! I'll put them under the one-time characters section, since aside from Sil (who's a recurring character in TDYD), I don't know for sure if the other two re-appear.

Haha, actually, that translation wasn't done by me... One of the previous translators did the guidelines. I'm fine with it, though.
By the way, larethian created viewtopic.php?f=61&t=5455 this for discussion on terminology. Can we create a section for one-time characters or something? It'll make it easier if some of them are recurring.
Ah, sorry. I just assumed. /o\

You mean like another forum topic?
Akirina

Post by Akirina »

Actually, I think the guidelines already has that... My mistake, sorry.
Kuroshiki wrote:Thank you Akirina for DDYD 7 chapter 3 .
I will wait for the chapter 4 before starting to read DDYD 7.
As always, thanks for your hard work, and take your time.
(Started translating some LN in French recently and I now
understand how hard it is . )
I've posted chapter 4 already. Thanks! :)
Kuroshiki
Literature Club Member

Post by Kuroshiki »

I've posted chapter 4 already. Thanks! :)
YEEEEEEEES \o/
Thank you . I'm sooooo happy :mrgreen:
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Akirina, odd phrasing and choice of words are part and parcel in Kagami's words. I guarantee you that many descriptions and word choice and sentence constructs feel weird and unnatural even in Japanese. I leave it to your discretion on word choice modification, though I would not change it too much unless it sounds really awful and off the charts. If Kagami's literary style is already bad in Japanese, people need to know and we should not overly embellish it to "make it much better" in English. Then again, it's a discretionary choice (frankly, sometimes I can't help but make it a little better in English >_<).
R~S
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Index!

Post by R~S »

ePUB Generator thread:
Simon wrote:I'd like to request you the ones that want Densetsu no yusha, to create Full Text Pages for the Novels that do not have them. And as I see it, there are multiple volumes that were translated.
Could an editor please do that?
Baka-Tsuki discord server

Return to “Dai Densetsu no Yūsha no Densetsu & Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi”