Denyuuden / Itsuten Recruitment Page

General discussion related to Dai Densetsu no Yūsha no Densetsu & Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Denyuuden / Itsuten Recruitment Page

Post by larethian »

Hi gyoku, good to have you here. But can I ask, what do you mean by, the 'interval of the throne' and 'the interval of the king'? Are you doing literal translations from the dictionary? Unfortunately I do not have soft raws to check for volumes beyond 8. I only have hard raws at home.
gyoku
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by gyoku »

larethian wrote:Hi gyoku, good to have you here. But can I ask, what do you mean by, the 'interval of the throne' and 'the interval of the king'? Are you doing literal translations from the dictionary? Unfortunately I do not have soft raws to check for volumes beyond 8. I only have hard raws at home.
The title is 「王の間」 and Rem is hanging from 玉座の間の、天井.
Interval can mean the space between and refer to the time so I think it makes sense.... I also tried to keep close to kagami's style with the sentence fragments and repetition , but I'm not sure about it. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by literal translations, but my Japanese level isn't that good.

Earlier I didn't notice that you could only register for one portion so I only registered for one chapter, which is good cause I'm working really slowly.
Oh, and thanks for the tip Akirina :D
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

What I mean is that 'interval' is too literal and may not make sense in English. 'the interval of the King' and 'the interval of the throne' does not make much sense in English, at least to me. But don't worry about it, I do that a lot too, and don't realize it myself until I read my own translations which are mind-boggling even to myself. :lol:

To continue, what you say about 間 is generally correct, though there can actually be many contextual meanings and a variety of translations for it depending on situation. Note that when I first TLed the title at first glance, I supposed I was thinking along the lines of "While He was King / During the Time While He was King" when I used 'The Time of the King' and I haven't read the book until months later. Now, I know the title is indeed mis-TLed due to lack of understanding and lack of experience myself:

For 王の間, it should be translated to either "The King's Chamber" or "The King's Hall". We can also use "The Throne Room" for it though I prefer to distinguish it from 玉座の間.

As for "玉座の間", it should just be translated to "throne room".

Another side note: Kagami's prose and word usage is not really among the best among authors (not referring to this particular case though).

Anyhow, keep up the good work!
gyoku
Kyonist

Post by gyoku »

XD I was thinking it meant something like before or in the presence the king but I didn't notice 間 could mean room. Interval made so much sense at the time >.<.

What should I do when I get stuck on something that I'm not sure of the meaning?
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

gyoku wrote:XD I was thinking it meant something like before or in the presence the king but I didn't notice 間 could mean room. Interval made so much sense at the time >.<.

What should I do when I get stuck on something that I'm not sure of the meaning?
Besides using a Japanese-English dictionary, if possible, also use a Japanese-Japanese dictionary which gives better-explained and more precise meanings. I use weblio to search. If you are unable to use a J->J dictionary, it's still fine. But learn how to use ALC.

Some example of using ALC from our previous discussion (of course not every context returned applies, you have to sift through the results and make sensible judgments):
http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%E7%8E%8B ... %93&ref=sa
http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%E7%8E%89 ... E%E9%96%93

You can also ask here: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=5455
If none of the staff can answer in this thread, you can always ask in lingua forum and provide the context.

Worst case is to do research on the net. So say, when I search for "Ou no ma(王の間)" one of the sites it returns is this: http://wiki.ffo.jp/html/1027.html (this is actually a terminology site for Final Fantasy 11 when 王の間 is used). Sometimes net may not give you the exact thing you are looking for, but it can provide important clues to help you narrow down possibilities or search terms. There are even times when you can find that people actually ask about the same exact term or sentence in the same novel you are translating in those language Q&A sites. :lol:

Btw, you can update the title on the main page as well using one of my above suggestions. Thanks. :)
gyoku
Kyonist

Post by gyoku »

Thank you for the links larethian :) those will definitely help

And to Akirina, cause I cant PM yet
How are we going to split up volume 5 while you're still here for September? My pace is rather slow so should I work on a couple chapters ahead?
Akirina
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu, Shounen Onmyouji, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Rental Magica

Post by Akirina »

gyoku wrote:Thank you for the links larethian :) those will definitely help

And to Akirina, cause I cant PM yet
How are we going to split up volume 5 while you're still here for September? My pace is rather slow so should I work on a couple chapters ahead?
I'm working on chapter 1 now, I can probably upload it by today. Perhaps you can take chapter 3 onwards? Yup, you should work on a couple of chapters ahead.
Sing the praise of heroes, curse the names of the betrayers...
This is the way how history is written.
sabcia67
Literature Club Member

Post by sabcia67 »

Well, I may help with illustrations but I do not know how create the account. I don't understand this: "In the menu list at the left of the webpage, what is the second item listed u Hint: 2 words with space in between. The first word is 'Recent'" I am really bad in English. Could you explain me it?
„Bo przecież bajki nie powinny się tak kończyć, prawda?”-Prawa i Powinności
"Nie walcz, kiedy nie możesz wygrać"-Tylogia Anioła Nocy
Akirina
Favourite Light Novel: Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu, Shounen Onmyouji, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Rental Magica

Post by Akirina »

sabcia67 wrote:Well, I may help with illustrations but I do not know how create the account. I don't understand this: "In the menu list at the left of the webpage, what is the second item listed u Hint: 2 words with space in between. The first word is 'Recent'" I am really bad in English. Could you explain me it?
It'd be great if you could help out with that! :)
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... Guidelines This is the link for creating the account on BT wiki page.
As for the answer to that question, it is 'Recent Changes'. It's referring to any changes/updates done on the wikipages for all of the projects lately.
sabcia67
Literature Club Member

Post by sabcia67 »

Thanks you help me but how I can update illustracions?
Akirina

Post by Akirina »

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ial:Upload

The file destination is DYD or DDYD, depending on which series you're uploading for. So it'll be something like this: DYD v<insert volume number> <page number>. An example will be this, if I am uploading the illustration for volume 3, page 1 of DDYD, it'll be like this: DDYD v03 pg01. PM me when you are done with the uploading of the images. I'll try to link them to the page itself.
sabcia67
Literature Club Member

Post by sabcia67 »

IShotTheSun
Astral Realm

Post by IShotTheSun »

Hi. Sorry for the necro but if you guys are still looking for editors, I'd be glad to help. English is my first language (I tutor it too!), I'm a huge fan of the series and I am very willing to help out whenever.
I'm not sure if it's intended, but some of the grammar and wording in the chapters I've read makes the overall flow sometimes hard to follow. I would do some mass editing for an example but I don't really want to alter anything without translators' permission.
Akirina

Post by Akirina »

It'd be much appreciated, IShotTheSun. Although I'm not the one who has the final say in this. I realise that I'm not very clear in my choice of wording when I translate the chapters sometimes and I often don't notice my mistakes even when I proof read my translations. If there are some parts where you find that you are having a hard time editing certain parts of the chapter, you could possibly try asking the translator who was in charge of that chapter to understand what he/she was trying to say. On the other hand, I'm not really sure how the editing process goes, so you may want to contact some of the editors on this series. If you'd like to, you could do the editing of a section of one of the chapters for an example and post it here as a spoiler.
Good luck!
IShotTheSun
Astral Realm

Post by IShotTheSun »

Well I'll get started on some minor grammatical and punctuational errors first of all. There's nothing too major that I've read so far that requires a massive noticeable change. I'll get started on your work first and, if I see anything confusing, PM you about it just to clear thing up. I'd also like to thank all of you for the hard work you put in. Really appreciate it, especially with how the anime ended really quickly and hasn't picked up a second season... yet. (><)

EDIT: Just finished editing Volume 4, Chapter 1: Cursed α. Have a few questions about the terms used but nothing major. You can view the revision history to see if my editing was satisfactory or not. (I hope it is!)

Return to “Dai Densetsu no Yūsha no Densetsu & Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi”