High School DxD - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: High School DxD - Names and Terminology

Post by zzhk »

Yeah, I prefer "Governor" too for Azazel's title; it's what I've been using all along.
stellarroze
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by stellarroze »

I was wondering if Asia's name could have meant to be romanised as Asya. This gave me the idea - http://www.behindthename.com/name/asya .

Zenovia's name is here: http://www.behindthename.com/name/zenovia . Irina: http://www.behindthename.com/name/irina
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I wonder if the Anime english-ed the name though.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
stellarroze

Post by stellarroze »

English-ed the name?
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

In terms of pronunciation "Aashia" may sound right. However her name is based on a real life actress, "Asia Argento".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia_Argento

Quite a number of the author's usages is creating inconsistency. He uses one thing, but actually means another. For instance he romanised "Chaos Brigade" as "Khaos Brigade" which is not is how its spelled.

While I'm at it...I might as well explain some other old changes we did. We changed Grafia into Grayfia, Reyville into Ravel because the anime ending had their names listed as such and it was easier to use for the translators.

@stellarroze That's a nice website btw.
Last edited by Hiro Hayase on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Thanks for the names' website, it helped me to add more useful references in my translations.

Does someone knows a reliable website about mythology ? Since the series involve many gods from different legends, it might help sometimes.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
j112
Project Translator

Post by j112 »

anyone have any idea what ロゲンカ refers to in vol 5?
stellarroze

Post by stellarroze »

j112, here's an entry I found about it: http://japanese.livejournal.com/1550815.html . Hope it helps.
j112
Project Translator

Post by j112 »

haha awesome thanks, i thought it was a katakana term lol. that makes sense though.
Akuma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Akuma »

j112 wrote:haha awesome thanks, i thought it was a katakana term lol. that makes sense though.
Oh boy, I even posted it on the discussion page, guess you must have seen it later if you've seen it already.
stellarroze

Post by stellarroze »

Looky here - http://forums.animesuki.com/picture.php ... reid=44297 . Or is it a mistake? And does anyone know where its from?
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

stellarroze wrote:Looky here - http://forums.animesuki.com/picture.php ... reid=44297 . Or is it a mistake? And does anyone know where its from?
this piqued my curiosity but stella the link is not opening...or do we have to login first at animesuki?
stellarroze

Post by stellarroze »

I guess so since I was logged into AnimeSuki when I accessed it.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Yeah about that, go with Xenovia. Xeno derived from Xenos means "foreigner, stranger, exotic, different" in Greek, so it fits her a lot than Zeno, which means "life of zeus." Although the feminine form is Xena; while Masculine is Xeno. Although Xenovia is a bit muscular and athletic... so it describes her very accurately. Additionally, we're using Sun Wukong instead of Son Goku. It's better to go with the Chinese naming since it originated from a Chinese classic tale after all.

I'll make the necessary changes very soon... and it will take a while to implement.

P.S. Most of us have been busy with final exams, so that's why we've been inactive lately.
zzhk
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Rias' family status is something I'd like Code-Zero to confirm even though he did make that chart in the early days. The way "Ultimate Class" gets mentioned within the novel suggests that it is a single non-hereditary title. And Ise does mention that Tanninim is higher than Rias' family. If Ultimate Class had an internal hierarchy of titles, then what is Tanninim's specific title within Ultimate Class?

Since Ultimate Class is written literally as "most high class", there is a possibility that the original sentence meant that the titles of Maou, Great King, Arch Duke, Duke, etc are the highest classes rather than being ultimate. Also, Japanese can be quite vague in plurals sometimes.

Is there a particular passage explaining the ranks, or was it something from other materials like magazines?

Return to “High School DxD”