High School DxD - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: High School DxD - Names and Terminology

Post by Hiro Hayase »

@SinsI Kamehame-ha and Dragon-ha have nearly identical kanji's, the author used Dragon-ha to avoid copyright issues. But, we're using Kamehame-ha since the author was alluding to dragonball in an indirect way.

Well... For present tense, it has to be occurring in the current time or real time, in English it's widely known as the historical present. It's commonly found in spontaneous conversational narratives than written literature. For past tense, events of the plot has to be occurring sometime before the current narrative. It's commonly used in literature and storytelling in Chinese, English, Portuguese, and Italian languages. Also, Japanese don't have any future tenses, they use present tense for that. And it's not rare for Japanese stories to use present or past tense.

In all aspects of narrative discourse, temporal or otherwise, an objective point of view comparable to the one found in Western narratives is simply not viable in the Japanese counterpart. That omniscient or semi-omniscient viewpoint.

We are still in a dilemma over will tense to use. We might have to go with present tense since it is a character narrating in real time. Or compromise and do something like character narration in present tense, non-character narration in past tense. Although, most of the narration in DxD is character narrated by either Ise, Rias, Yuuto, or Azazel. Also, the narrative does not mean the dialogue. The dialogue can be whatever tense. At the moment, present tense might be the best way to express the narrative in this LN.

Edit: "Translators are allowed to use whichever tenses they need, so editors have to fix any errors for tenses when you find one. Narrative tense should be in past tense, although in some cases present tenses or future perfect tenses are preferred. Narrative does not mean the character dialogues." -That will be final.
Just4fun
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Just4fun »

(From there, they created 5 special traits that consist of Queen, Rook, Bishop, and Knight.)

rias said that they are 5 special traits but its only four should we add 'pawn' here??? :D :D
I Have a Future Diary trust me..... XD
(Just kidding...)
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Just4fun wrote:(From there, they created 5 special traits that consist of Queen, Rook, Bishop, and Knight.)

rias said that they are 5 special traits but its only four should we add 'pawn' here??? :D :D
Where is this from?
tng88
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tng88 »

Hiro Hayase wrote:
Just4fun wrote:(From there, they created 5 special traits that consist of Queen, Rook, Bishop, and Knight.)

Where is this from?
Vol. 1, Life 2
Just4fun

Post by Just4fun »

like 'had had' is 'for for' same???
(Just kidding...)
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Just4fun wrote:like 'had had' is 'for for' same???
What's the context?

I don't think that it sounds great though, no matter the sense of the sentence.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Just4fun

Post by Just4fun »

Kira0802 wrote:
Just4fun wrote:like 'had had' is 'for for' same???
What's the context?

I don't think that it sounds great though, no matter the sense of the sentence.
w8 i'll look for it... i forgot...
(Just kidding...)
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Well the only one's you should keep are "that that" or "had had," you change everything else like "for for" since there are better alternatives than using that. In higher level literature, "that" and "had" are the most commonly used ones.

Edit: It's not necessary to add "These are the illustrations for volume 1, 2, 3, etc" in every novel illustrations page. The readers should, I mean should, be able to obviously realize that those are the illustrations. If they can't, then there's a serious problem... Furthermore, on top of every chapter there's already a page heading that says High School DxD: Volume 1 Illustrations for instance.
unknownwisdom
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by unknownwisdom »

that seems intentional as the only special trait the pawn has is promotion also this is so that later ise him self relises he is a pawn

To tell you the truth, I already predicted the worst case. More like there was only that left. But I still had a naive hope. Akeno-san is a Queen, Koneko-chan is a Rook, and Kiba is a Knight. So there are two Pieces left. The Bishop and......the Pawn. I was hoping for it, but it was shattered instantly. The crimson-haired beauty smiled at me and said it clearly.

You are a Pawn. Ise, you are a Pawn.

I was the lowest.

but it might typo but i personaly dont think so
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Added stuttering to the terminology page for reference.

===Stuttering===

If the word is a person, place, or title, the stuttered words should be in capital letters.

Example 1: “B-Bucho, what is it?”

If the stuttering occurs at the beginning of the sentence and it is not a person, place, or title, then the first stuttered letter should be capitalised while all the other succeeding letters should be in lower case. If the stuttering occurs in the middle of the sentence, then everything should be in lower case letters.

Example 2: “Eh? B-but, don’t you have to get yourself a husband?”

Example 3: “I've g-got to p-pick up a new b-book on vampires, m-myself.”
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Hiro Hayase wrote:Added stuttering to the terminology page for reference.

===Stuttering===

If the word is a person, place, or title, the stuttered words should be in capital letters.

If the stuttering occurs at the beginning of the sentence and it is not a person, place, or title, then the first stuttered letter should be capitalised while all the other succeeding letters should be in lower case. If the stuttering occurs in the middle of the sentence, then everything should be in lower case letters.

Never thought of that, it was quite obvious. Thanks for this reminder.
I'll add it in the French translation page, if you're ok with that.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Misogi wrote:
Never thought of that, it was quite obvious. Thanks for this reminder.
I'll add it in the French translation page, if you're ok with that.
Yeah go for it! I should have added this earlier, but I didn't have time.

I revised it a bit now to this:

If the word is a proper noun, proper adjective, or common nouns used as essential parts of proper nouns the stuttered words should be in capital letters.

If the stuttering occurs at the beginning of the sentence and it is not a proper noun, proper adjective, or a common nouns used as essential parts of proper nouns, then the first stuttered letter should only be capitalised while all the other succeeding letters should be in lower case. If the stuttering occurs in the middle of the sentence, then everything should be in lower case letters.

zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Looking at the titles of the volumes, they all follow a <subject> <preposition> <description> format.

Should Volume 8 be called "Work of the Devil" or "Job of the Devil" or something like that instead?
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

Yeah, that's the method used for the volume titles. Though volume 8 and 13 are short-stories(Title taken from certain SS title), so by having volume 8 and 13 have a very short volume title, it will be easier to distinguish between main volumes and SS-collection volumes. The Japanese title is also "悪魔の仕事" and "イツセーSOS" respectively so it would be better for them to have minimum words as possible.

Oh and we probably should change the name of certain characters.

1.) Milikyasu to Millicas.
ミリ(Milliardo Peacecraft) + キャス(Cast off/Cast) = ミリキャス(Millicas)

2.) Zefadoll to Zephyrdol
ゼファー(Kawasaki Zephyr) + ドル(dol) = ゼファードル(Zephyrdol)

3.) Seekvaira to Seegvaira.

Also zzhk, do you know the proper name for the priest who traveled with Sun Wukong in "Journey to the West"? In Japanese they refer to him as Sanzou-houshi. He appears in one of the SS, so I don't know what name he is refereed in English.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Well, his actual monk name is Xuanzang.
Throughout "Journey to the West" other characters often refer to him as Tang-seng ("Tang Monk") or Tang Sanzang (Sanzang = "3 collections" in reference to the Buddhist scripture he brings back to China). Tang refers to the Chinese dynasty of his time.

So I guess Xuanzang, Tang Monk, Tang Sanzang or just Sanzang are all fine. If it occurs frequently, maybe pick one of the shorter ones?

Return to “High School DxD”