High School DxD - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: High School DxD - Names and Terminology

Post by denormative »

Code-Zero wrote:Okay, lets go with "Dimensional Boundary" then. He used "Dimension" instead of "Dimensional", but I'm hundred percent sure its "Dimensional" if its used as term like this....
The problem's more the 'boundary' part. Boundaries tend to be used in terms of something infinitely thin, since they note the separation of two 'other' things, or are the 'extent' of one. The only 'boundary' with noticeable thickness I could think of would be a river as a 'boundary' separating two states. The "Boundary of Life and Immortality" as in Campione (where it is it's own physical dimension) I guess is an allegory of crossing the Sanzu River.

Anyway... yes, Dimensional is the most correct form for all the contexts I've read since it's the adjective form.
Code-Zero wrote:Yeah, using "Mages" is definitely good. Maverick Mages, definitely sounds good.
So should we change all the terms associated with "Stray" to "Maverick"? It sure is going to be a long task lol.
Do we have any stand-alone references to "Strays" (without being a "Stray Magician" phrase)? 'Cause "Strays" works, but "Mavericks" doesn't; I guess we can just replace them with "Maverick Mages". But "Maverick Mages" does sound natural enough (I originally was wanting to type "Maverick Magician", but "Mages" came out; I guess it's a more natural phrase in my mind :? ).

Also do we need to reconsider the terms for Stray Exorcists/Devils as well? Do they all use the same Japanese word to indicate the 'rebel' nature?

Also with a quick `grep`, it seems that only v14 and v15 references 'Stray Magician's, so it should be a quick task. Looks like we also use "Stray Wizard" and "Maverick Wizard" around the place as well in those volumes. My downloads are pretty old though, there might have been a few edits since.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Yeah its not much work since its only about 2 volumes. Maverick Mages sound better. Dimensional Boundary should be the correct one.

Edit: I'll make the changes asap then.
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

Yeah, the Japanese terms used for the word "Stray" is the same with the ones you find in "Stray Devils", 'Stray Magicians" and "Stray Exorcists".
So if we are changing it to "Maverick Mage/Magician", we would have to change it for "Stray Devils" and "Stray Exoricsts".

So should we change them Hiro?
I'm fine with changing it.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Code-Zero wrote:Yeah, the Japanese terms used for the word "Stray" is the same with the ones you find in "Stray Devils", 'Stray Magicians" and "Stray Exorcists".
So if we are changing it to "Maverick Mage/Magician", we would have to change it for "Stray Devils" and "Stray Exoricsts".

So should we change them Hiro?
I'm fine with changing it.
The problem is Maverick Devils doesn't sound quite right. :( Though 'Stray Exorcists' never really felt right either.

Stray Devils works because that's essentially what you call a pet that's escaped from it's owner, a "Stray".

IMO, I don't see any relationship between the three of them, it seems it's more coincidence that they're just using the same word in Japanese. If we're going to change, we might as well change them to sound like something that sounds 'good', or at least 'better' in English. Maverick Mages, Stray Devils, and Rogue Exorcists? :P All of those emphasise the 'independence' which I think is what the Maverick-ness is supposed to imply.

Anyway, changing the Devil/Exorcists will probably be a bit more fiddly then the Maverick Mages.
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

Hmm, thats true...
Hmm, my brain practically died so I cant really think right now.... I'll come back in few days. :wink:
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

I definitely like denormative's suggestion, but for consistency's sake we would have to use one term if the authors does so if possible.

Maverick Mages, Stray Devils, Rogue Exorcists.

Maverick means an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party as well as their customs.
Stray means to be isolated from the group or away from the right course/path. (Like denormative said, the higher class devils would consider their servants like pets or property in a way)
Rogue means a person who is dishonest or immoral, causes mischievous trouble in a playful way, or a vagabond. (Fitting description for that crazy priest in volume 4)

Is there a word that encompasses all those definitions?
royaloyalz
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by royaloyalz »

In my honest opinion, it is quite improbable that we will be able to find a word that works that way. At least, a quick search through dictionary.com yielded nothing for me.

In any case, Japanese and English are 2 completely different animals, and I think it is quite safe for me to say that English, more often than not, is unable to adequately express Japanese sentences and words.

Also, although I used to tend more towards the literal translation methods, I actually think that being a little liberal will actually make all our jobs slightly easier as well as improve the quality of the translations overall.

Of course, that is just my view point, and you are definitely entitled to disagree with me.

Just my 2 cents. :D
Don't you just love reading? I think it is one of the joys of life, where we can escape the cold reality of the world and exist in something so much more fun and exciting! ^_^
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

^ We will probably have to do just that. Be liberal. :lol:
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

playing with words... looking for synonyms to fit the text language is always a headache :P
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

If we're going with "one for all", I'd pick "Stray". It fits perfectly for Devils, near perfect for Exorcists (since they're "straying from the righteous path" or whatever; technically you'd probably use 'Heretic' as a prefix), and acceptable for Magicians, since they too have a correct way to 'stray from' even if it's not the most elegant. And there isn't generally a standard way of saying a non-good mage, 'sorcerer' is probably closest (which from memory Campione's author users for evil-mages of both genders), so it's not as if we're violating any expectations other then people expecting something totally generic like "Evil Mage". >.<

Long story short: If we want to stick with what the author prefers, we probably want to go with Maverick Wizards (along with a gramatically correct Dimensional Boundary or whatever) and pick our own words for the other types until the author decides what to use for them. Otherwise we can just stick with what we have (no real reason to change the 'Maverick' part back now unless someone's enthusiastic), or go our own way with more "English sounding" terms. :P
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

Okay then.
So let's just change the word "Stray" in "Stray Magicians" to "Maverick".
But keep the word "Stray" for other terminology such as "Stray Devil" and "Stray Exorcist"(Until we get a English variation for these ones...).

And also about the change for "Dimensional Gap" to "Dimensional Boundary", like denormative said earlier, it doesnt actually fit the description for what it really is. I mean it exists between the Underworld and the human world, as well as the human world and the Heaven. I guess we need to discuss about this change more seriously.

PS. I think I said it before but the author used the spelling "Vali" for Vali's name. But the recent BR spelled it "Vary" which sounds very cheesy. So Vali will stay as "Vali".
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

I'll make the changes to Maverick then. Stray Exorcist can be Rogue Exorcist as a last option.

Vary does sound lame hahaha for a rival who's supposedly the opposite of Ise. Vary, Gary, Mary, Larry, Berry... Vali is fine as is.

Boundary - is a dividing line or border

Gap - is an unfilled space or a break in continuity. A "break in continuity" we could probably use symbolically to refer to Uroboros in a sense.

Just looking at the definitions, gap has more uses.
Wolfpup
Senior Project Editor

Post by Wolfpup »

Hiro Hayase wrote:Boundary - is a dividing line or border

Gap - is an unfilled space or a break in continuity

Just looking at the definitions, gap has more uses.
Also there is the the Fact that Great Red 'swims' or 'lives' in that 'space' so Gap dose fit better as it is something similar to the DMZ in Korea.
Always on the hunt for good Anime and their associated Light Novels, Manga. :)
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

We also need to rename some pages in volume 14.

MaveRick Wizard -> Maverick Magician

Life.3 Stray Wizard -> Life.3 Maverick Magician

Wizard for Khaos Brigade -> Magician for Khaos Brigade

Meh I'll fix them tomorrow after my doctors appointment.
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka, date a live

Post by veritatis cupitor »

plural of gremory - gremorys or gremory's (used in vol 17)?
text -
They say that the High-class Devils from ancient times is(are) different depending on their household, but the Gremory’s(Gremorys) really are peaceful.
ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU TRANSLATOR SAN.

Return to “High School DxD”