High School DxD - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

chancs
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: High School DxD - Names and Terminology

Post by chancs »

denormative wrote:
... now that I think about it, were Irina/Xenovia ever identified as 'Sisters'? Or were they just the generic holy-women archetypes.
Certainly not sisters. Only 'Holy- sword user'. Irina became a 'Saint' later. (Ace card/piece)
Lycus13
Astral Realm

Post by Lycus13 »

hi guys also it is not about the current discussion but i wanted to tell you about the changes of phenex to phoenis, phenex is the right one because they are talking about the demon not the bird
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_de ... uis_Phenex
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

Can you check the previous page?
Its already has been proved and discussed.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Misogi wrote:Quoting something that Hiro Hayse wrote about stuttering.
If the word is a person, place, or title, the stuttered words should be in capital letters.

Example 1: “B-Bucho, what is it?”

If the stuttering occurs at the beginning of the sentence and it is not a person, place, or title, then the first stuttered letter should be capitalised while all the other succeeding letters should be in lower case. If the stuttering occurs in the middle of the sentence, then everything should be in lower case letters.

Example 2: “Eh? B-but, don’t you have to get yourself a husband?”

Example 3: “I've g-got to p-pick up a new b-book on vampires, m-myself.”
Since I hardly found other sources about it, I sent a mail to the Académie Française (the French institution that sets the language's rules).

In their answer, they globally agreed to all the points mentionned above, with one exception. In the case of Example 2, it would be "B-But" instead of "B-but".

Should we change the rules, or is there another source which confirms the current sentence ?
Let's go with that. Go right ahead. I know its a really late reply too. Since its starting a new sentence the capitalised word and the subsequent letter should be in capital.

Edit: I have been looking through my personal library and the majority of fictional novels use that method to denote stuttering. I would ask the English Department in my University, but they're on vacation.... only the grunts are working as well as taking care of paperwork there.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Ok then, thanks for the reply.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
darkkaos
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by darkkaos »

I have one question guys (my last post just vanished oO)

For Rias' mother, Its Venerana or Venelana? Because in some sites she was called Venelana, and here in Baka-Tsuki is Venerana. So, what's the conclusion?
Unkalibriert
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Unkalibriert »

I've just looked at the ToC of Volume 15 (Raw), where Kiba's name is written as "Yuto". Can this be considered an official romanisation or a typo?

It's quite similar to "Shokugeki no Sōma" [a manga from Weekly Shōnen Jump], which has been romanised as "Shokugeki-no Soma", completely ignoring the "chōon".
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Unkalibriert wrote:I've just looked at the ToC of Volume 15 (Raw), where Kiba's name is written as "Yuto". Can this be considered an official romanisation or a typo?
It's probably an official romanisation... such that it is. But I think everyone's ignoring it since it's even more painful to fix that then the Phoenix change.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

darkkaos wrote:I have one question guys (my last post just vanished oO)

For Rias' mother, Its Venerana or Venelana? Because in some sites she was called Venelana, and here in Baka-Tsuki is Venerana. So, what's the conclusion?
Sorry for the late reply.
Both works since such name doesnt exist. So there's no wrong or correct about how her name is spelled.
Unkalibriert wrote:I've just looked at the ToC of Volume 15 (Raw), where Kiba's name is written as "Yuto". Can this be considered an official romanisation or a typo?

It's quite similar to "Shokugeki no Sōma" [a manga from Weekly Shōnen Jump], which has been romanised as "Shokugeki-no Soma", completely ignoring the "chōon".
I wont say "Yuto" is wrong, but the proper way to type his name would be "Yūto". Since using Yūto all the time in English translation would be a pain, I chose to use Yuuto since I dont want to ignore the existence of "ū".
denormative wrote:
It's probably an official romanisation... such that it is. But I think everyone's ignoring it since it's even more painful to fix that then the Phoenix change.
Lol yeah. Speaking of painful editing, my jaws dropped when the author reaveled couple of English Names for certain terminolgies.

In B-T we use "Dimensional Gap", but the English phrase the author gave was "Dimension Boundary".
In B-T we use either "Stray Magicians", but the English phrase the author gave was "Maverick Wizards". Wizards only refers to male magicians, but it seems like the author wishes to use the term "wizards" for both male magicians and female magicians.....
darkkaos
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by darkkaos »

Sorry for the late reply.
Both works since such name doesnt exist. So there's no wrong or correct about how her name is spelled.
Don't worry, and thanks :D
Lol yeah. Speaking of painful editing, my jaws dropped when the author reaveled couple of English Names for certain terminolgies.

In B-T we use "Dimensional Gap", but the English phrase the author gave was "Dimension Boundary".
In B-T we use either "Stray Magicians", but the English phrase the author gave was "Maverick Wizards". Wizards only refers to male magicians, but it seems like the author wishes to use the term "wizards" for both male magicians and female magicians.....
Sorry to ask that, but can you "link" (or other way, idk) the list? Its good to see that, but not joking, I prefer your terms :P
Unkalibriert
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Unkalibriert »

...I've noticed just now that volume 16 has a chapter named "Gaspar Balor.". >.<
gradient
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by gradient »

sorry to bother, and if i'm repeating things really you should just ignore this post.
if we're talking existing names there was a Vlad Țepeș see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_III_the_Impaler
just wanted to trow that out here. no offense to anyone, especially the translators. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME
The quantity and quality does not matter... make it big, and make plenty of it.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Code-Zero wrote:

Post them all here Code-Zero, I'll get to them all eventually... Ichiei Ishibumi! BRING IT ON! Challenge accepted!

Wizards traditionally refer to males, while witches is the female equivalent. But it seems he's using it to refer to magical peoples. I hope some of the new terminologies are not grammatically incorrect like Heros, which we changed to Heroes.

Maverick is a fancy word, but it means unorthodox, eccentric, independent.

P.S. House of Phenex → House of Phoenix change is fine now, double checked the 16 volumes real quick.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Hiro Hayase wrote:
Code-Zero wrote:In B-T we use either "Stray Magicians", but the English phrase the author gave was "Maverick Wizards". Wizards only refers to male magicians, but it seems like the author wishes to use the term "wizards" for both male magicians and female magicians.....
Wizards traditionally refer to males, while witches is the female equivalent. But it seems he's using it to refer to magical peoples. I hope some of the new terminologies are not grammatically incorrect like Heros, which we changed to Heroes.
Split the difference and call them Maverick Mages? :P
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

Hiro Hayase wrote:
Post them all here Code-Zero, I'll get to them all eventually... Ichiei Ishibumi! BRING IT ON! Challenge accepted!

Maverick is a fancy word, but it means unorthodox, eccentric, independent.

P.S. House of Phenex → House of Phoenix change is fine now, double checked the 16 volumes real quick.
Okay, lets go with "Dimensional Boundary" then. He used "Dimension" instead of "Dimensional", but I'm hundred percent sure its "Dimensional" if its used as term like this....

So should we go with "Maverick"?
denormative wrote: Wizards traditionally refer to males, while witches is the female equivalent. But it seems he's using it to refer to magical peoples. I hope some of the new terminologies are not grammatically incorrect like Heros, which we changed to Heroes.
Split the difference and call them Maverick Mages? :P[/quote]

Yeah, using "Mages" is definitely good. Maverick Mages, definitely sounds good.
So should we change all the terms associated with "Stray" to "Maverick"? It sure is going to be a long task lol.

Return to “High School DxD”