Questions and Answers Thread

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

unknownwisdom
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by unknownwisdom »

it is probably explained in one of the untranslated parts but what do they mean by the term sub-species?
Last edited by Code-Zero on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed it to a better name for the thread
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Questions and Answers Thread

Post by zzhk »

unknownwisdom wrote:it is probably explained in one of the untranslated parts...
The term first appears in Volume 9 (which is already translated), but the author never goes into detail.

Borrowing from the biological concept of subspecies, it refers to evolved differences that distinguish a subspecies from the main species. In the context of Sacred Gears, you have basic types like Blade Blacksmith which creates holy swords. Evolving a Sacred Gear into subspecies changes the abilities of the Balance Breaker, making it different from the original base type.

Examples from Volumes 9 and 10:
Spoiler! :
The normal Balance Breaker of Blade Blacksmith produces an army of troopers. Joan's subspecies alters it to create a giant dragon made up of holy swords, while Kiba's subspecies produces dragon troopers.
The concept is kind of iffy for Longinus Sacred Gears, seeing as they are unique, rather than types that occur with varying frequency, but the concept of evolved differences still stands.
unknownwisdom
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by unknownwisdom »

now i get it
Hikari no Sora
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Hikari no Sora »

Has Isse fully controlled the Juggernaut Drive at some point of the novel, I have read up to Volume 7.......so I don't know if he already has perfect it yet and if he has at what volumen and Life it is??
Balderdash
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Balderdash »

He never actually controls Juggernaut Drive. Instead he cleanses the curse and comes up with an entirely new ability with the same power level as the Juggernaut Drive. The cleansing process takes place slowly across multiple books as he gains control of the power.
gaouw
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by gaouw »

is it possible for azazel with his downfall armor to reach juggernaut drive?

considering that he doesn't seem to ever get a power up.
Azyrion
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Azyrion »

gaouw wrote:is it possible for azazel with his downfall armor to reach juggernaut drive?

as far as I know juggernaut drive is a special power only belonging to the two sacred gears "boosted gear" and "divine devide". the reason is because juggernaut drive holds the power to surpass gods namly the power of the two heavenly dragons draig and albion.
Wolfpup
Senior Project Editor

Post by Wolfpup »

Azyrion wrote:
gaouw wrote:is it possible for azazel with his downfall armor to reach juggernaut drive?

as far as I know juggernaut drive is a special power only belonging to the two sacred gears "boosted gear" and "divine devide". the reason is because juggernaut drive holds the power to surpass gods namly the power of the two heavenly dragons draig and albion.
From the way im understanding things no Azazel dose not have a [JUGGERNAUT] or [BEAST] mode in his 'Aritficial' [SACRED GEAR] as that is reserved ony for the orginal ones that have been around for eons. Now Ise might actualy end up being able to use [JUGGERNAUT DIRVE] for short then extended periods of time since he has essentualy 'blown up' the 'orginal' chant and curse and created a new 'non-curesed' version [RED CRIMSION OVERDRIVE] plus he is now aslo truly part dragon since he flesh was recreated from Armeggeadon ( the dragon that 'swims' in the Daminsional Gap ) with the help of Ophis( another dragon ) . any ways this is my two cents worth. :D
Always on the hunt for good Anime and their associated Light Novels, Manga. :)
MasterDX
Astral Realm

Post by MasterDX »

Now that vol 13 is done and i have re-read 1-13, we now know that the house of Bael = power of destruction, Phenex = revive+fire, Abaddon = void ‘hole’. but what is the Gremory power, normally you would think that would be the first to be said or did i miss it somewhere
Wolfpup
Senior Project Editor

Post by Wolfpup »

MasterDX wrote:Now that vol 13 is done and i have re-read 1-13, we now know that the house of Bael = power of destruction, Phenex = revive+fire, Abaddon = void ‘hole’. but what is the Gremory power, normally you would think that would be the first to be said or did i miss it somewhere
I think Gremory is also 'Destruction' but on a different level compared to Bael. also Rias' mother is orginally from house Bael. There is one incident involving Hades where we see that Serchies (Rias's brother) is actualy 'Destriction' incarnate.
Always on the hunt for good Anime and their associated Light Novels, Manga. :)
BakaGrappler
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Phenex or Phoenix

Post by BakaGrappler »

I'm just asking as a person who's done a lot of proofreading and editing. In Code-Zero's previously translated volumes for DxD, the name of the Immortal Firebird family has always been Phenex. And then further described as being like the Legendary Phoenix, except that they are devils. The new novel 14 he is translating at his blog and will be posting on BT is using the family name of Phoenix.

I'm just asking about this hoping a more knowledgeable person can fill me in on this, since I can't read Japanese and checking the original text is useless for me.
krytyk

Post by krytyk »

Literal translation of their name is Pheonix, it goes like this フェニックス - Fuenikkusu and pronounced Pheonikxu. That's why pheonix.
- JAP to ENG translator for AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon"; ELYSION virtual region; Omae wo Onii-chan ni Shite Yarouka!?; Only Sense Online -
- Retired Manga Redrawer/Typesetter. @Manga-Heaven; @Kono-Basho; @wangan-scans; &anonymous releases.
BakaGrappler
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BakaGrappler »

Tsukkomi voice:
Then how did it ever get translated as Phenex in the first place?! *Backhanded slap to kryteks chest*

Thanks for the info.
krytyk

Post by krytyk »

BakaGrappler wrote:Tsukkomi voice:
Then how did it ever get translated as Phenex in the first place?! *Backhanded slap to kryteks chest*

Thanks for the info.
It's not like i'm the translator, i would have to check the previous volumes raws and check it up >.>.
- JAP to ENG translator for AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon"; ELYSION virtual region; Omae wo Onii-chan ni Shite Yarouka!?; Only Sense Online -
- Retired Manga Redrawer/Typesetter. @Manga-Heaven; @Kono-Basho; @wangan-scans; &anonymous releases.
gaouw
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by gaouw »

i remember reading that ishibumi-sensei say that shiva arc will come much later in the novel.

however, i see that vol 14 mention him.

does that means that shiva will come out in this arc or the next?

somehow i got a bad feeling that DxD is nearing it's ending...

please tell me its not true.

Return to “High School DxD”