Spoilers and Speculation Thread (WARNING: Spoilers included)

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Spoilers and Speculation Thread (WARNING: Spoilers inclu

Post by Code-Zero »

To be honest, Im fine with one of the main characters dying. Even if Azazel happens to be my favourite character.
If you look back, the author easily kills hundreds of enemies(grunts) as well as a major enemy. But he doesnt have the guts to actually kill one of the main characters or even one of the supporting characters with minor roles. It shocked me when I learned that not even a single Devils died in the Underworld havoc in volume 12.
So having a death for one of the major character will certainly have a twist and I would like it.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Code-Zero wrote:To be honest, Im fine with one of the main characters dying. Even if Azazel happens to be my favourite character.
If you look back, the author easily kills hundreds of enemies(grunts) as well as a major enemy. But he doesnt have the guts to actually kill one of the main characters or even one of the supporting characters with minor roles. It shocked me when I learned that not even a single Devils died in the Underworld havoc in volume 12.
So having a death for one of the major character will certainly have a twist and I would like it.
I don't think it's guts-or-not, I think it's simply not That Kind of Series(tm). Not everything has to be Game of Thrones, even though with this level of enemy-death in the series it does feel a bit stupid sometimes. :?

In any event, the problem is that the author has already established that "no hero stays dead" with Asia's "death" and Ise's near-deaths then death then re-embodiment. If you've already setup your readers to assume that they're not really going to die then not only is it not going to have dramatic impact when they die; but all you will do is annoy your readers if you don't resurrect them in a book or two.

Just look at Blade Dance for a good example. Yet another "death" in the latest volume, but I expect she'll be back in the next one; probably within the first chapter if the standard pattern holds (or in the volume after next if the author really wanted to be different!). Because every other of the 4 or 5 "deaths" that have happened (including one in the first volume!) have had exactly the same pattern.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

I've just re-watched Hokuto no ken recently. Right now I'm in the "We need heroic death!" mode :) .
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Code-Zero wrote:I've just re-watched Hokuto no ken recently. Right now I'm in the "We need heroic death!" mode :) .
Ignoring that I recall Azazel tended to describe himself more as the "final boss" type character... I imagine any "heroic death" involving him would result in him reappearing in a chapter or two as the punchline of a joke, and noting that he had to "appear to be dead" for some reason or other that eventually ended up being totally meaningless. >.<

I'm not convinced that killing off a character that's 90% random and frivolous would work to generate drama anyway. :P

I expect the reason that Azazel is getting pushed to becoming more of a minor character in the novels is that the author is struggling to deal with the increased number of characters and having them all have a meaningful presence in the series. In the last couple of books he's added, what, at least three characters to the 'major character' roster? On top of the Rias Gremory Devil-girls +Kiba (cue joke about how everyone knows Gasper is a girl anyway) +Inra, you've got Le Vey and Ravel, along with Sona who's now being used as much more of a major character rather then her usual bit-part as kaichou that she normally takes (and given the way her attitude seems to be shifting towards Ise, it does indicate the author is trending her towards being a haremette as well :? ).

Then there's the new additions to Sona's team (anyone else think the half grim-reaper Oppai Dragon-fanatic is going to be spending more time then usual at Ise and Rias' place?), and it looks like they're going to play a bit more of an active role too; unless v14 is a bit of a one-off.

Then there's the beast-tamer (Abe?) who's been in a couple of the short stories, and I can't think of anything in particular about those short stories that might cause them to be included in the main storyline of novels unless the author is going to drag her into the main storyline.

Then there's always been something that's bugged me about Kiryuu too. It wouldn't surprise me if she was one of the people who knows about devils in the school or something. Actually, she's on my list of "characters most likely to die at some point, but also most likely to be resurrected by chess piece or something". :?
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
Aw454wtr
Astral Realm

Post by Aw454wtr »

Honestly being a harem novel, I can't see any female character being killed off, maybe grayfia being killed off in the end of this arc by Elucid might be possible since grayfia plays a bit part role anyways but that seems like a long shot, But I do think by the end of the series Vali might very well die, one of the major ongoing plot is the rivalry between the Red and White, and Ise being the main character will definitly become stronger than vali at then end of the series, Afterall Vali is planning on killing Great Red, something that might destablize the dimensional gap, so Ise may be forced to kill vali in the end
5thDog
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by 5thDog »

I don't think Ise would kill Vali. Since DxD is a light-hearted series, I think that Ise and Vali will probably end up as friends in the end or Ise makes Vali change his ways somehow, that's usually how series like this go. I honestly can't see anyone dying....or they will die but come back somehow like all the other "deaths".

But who knows...DxD could get really dark and more serious towards the end of the series and have people really die left and right. That would definitely be interesting to see.
ID not in use
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ID not in use »

It just occured to me that the almost perfect Queen for Ise's peerage would be Sona. With her mind for tactics, its the one thing that Ise lacks in his current team. Plus it would also bring the houses of Rias and Sona together as allies through Ise. So that would leave the only opening at Rook which has been mentioned of going to Valerie Tepes, but we won't know more until we see her in Vol 16 next month.

Another posibility for Queen would be LeFay, if she became a devil. With her power and the allies she commands she could be formidable in that role.

And I could see Miltan being one of his pawns. He's already not human, though we don't know how or why as yet.
Unkalibriert
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Unkalibriert »

Well, Serafall seriously stated that she wants to add Mil-tan to her list of servants. And Issei would not want him as a sevant anyway. ^^
noblelance
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by noblelance »

No way Sona steps down as a King to be Issi's Queen.

No instead, I'm going to go with a total reversal, since he won't be a King until the end of the series. My thought that is that the majority of his Harem becomes his Pieces. Since things happen around him differently including his own evil pieces inside him changing into mutation pieces. He becomes a High Class Devil first, carries his pieces and because of the way he is his the pieces seem to change, all of his pieces become mutated pieces by the time he creates his team so he doesn't have to lose anyone. Rias becomes his Queen, the bishops are still Asia/Ravel, Xeno is a knight, Kiba returns because it makes sense tactically, and I bet on them having a bromance(and I hate that phrase) by the end. The Rooks become Koneko and surprise turn Akeno(converts to Rook from Queen to improve abilities offensively and defensively much like Rossweisse did with her defensive spells, and it fits with her masochism because she can take and give more pain.)

Leaving the 8 pawns. Rossweisse gets left out of the Harem because of her dreams of opening a school for Norse magic but potentially becomes a Pawn since she might be part time fighter in the Rating Game. Gasper becomes a pawn, having matured and grown mentally stronger takes on the change much like his sensei and adapted on the battlefield depending on the need but becomes a Bishop on the field because of his comfort with it. The surprise twist comes when Irina comes into the fold as a Pawn, not as a devil though but as an Angel. We were given the information I believe from Azazel that Angels and Fallen were interested in the Rating Game dynamic potentially having angel vs demon fights, it stands to reason what about cross faction teams, leading to Irina becoming a Pawn for Issei and leaning towards Rook/Knight promotions on the field to match her style. As for the rest of the Pawns it could vary, could be Kuroka(former Bishop if I remember), Le Fey, Ophis which would add 3 more Pawns leaving just 2 more. Now my running joke would suggest two more girls we haven't been introduced to it to make the logical step. A crazier idea would be he trained Millicas for a while to take part in Rating Games, to have more experience in them for when he became a King himself since he father probably can't perform in a Rating Game(crazy yes but why the hell not go big or go home.)
ID not in use
Haruhiist Disciple

Post by ID not in use »

You say that Souna would never step down, then why would Rias? After all Rias is head of her house, why would she play second fiddle to Ise?
I'm aware that Souna would not leave her team, thats why my second suggestion would be LeFay. After all it kinda makes sense that Kouoka was hinting at LeFay breaking with the khaos brigade. If she should "die" wouldn't that satisfy the breaking away from KB? Then she can come back as a devil without the baggage.
Ophis can't do it. You do understand her power is actually infinite? She's just a mascot.
You're leaving out Bennia, the half grim reaper who is a knight. She will be Ise's second knight, not Kiba. She will be in Vol 16 so we see more of her then, though I would expect just her appearance in Vol 15 was enough to suggest where she was headed.
I'd like to see Kunoe, the kyuubi from Kyoto, but she can't be a devil so can't join the games.
Irina would also be a knight.
Theres going to be more women in his harem than just his peerage.
noblelance
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by noblelance »

I'm just saying, that in terms of Kings it would have been more likely for Rias to step down than Souna to be Ise's Queen.

I though Ophis's powers were significantly reduced after she was drained of them. She was still powerful but no where near infinite. Regardless, that was more half-baked trying to shoehorn in people from the current harem.

Bennia, isn't she Souna's knight. I just kinda ruled out anyone that was confirmed as someone else's I know that there is trading and such, so I left that off the side. But that was a possible option in my head, but then I remembered that in the author notes Kiba/Gasper are considered part of the Harem, despite being men.

Oh I know, I just started with the Harem because it was easier to go with as more likely candidates.
flipax
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by flipax »

u guys know that it doesnt really matter right? Even if Rias or Sona will become Ise's queen they are still "king" in the original peerage. Like Ise will still be a 'Pawn' in Rias peerage even after he earn the king piece. Example in the novel story would be the dragon king Tannin. He has his own peerage that has members made up of all dragons meanwhile he is mephisto's queen.

Forgot what volume and chapter Azazel explained about this to Ise.

My question would be, how will the piece works? Will Ise's pawn pieces will be disable? when his peerage will battle in the rating game. He cant use the Triana moves if that happens or maybe he will develop a new move synchronizing with the king piece.
Gulcasa766
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gulcasa766 »

Probably in the same manner that he is still Rias' Pawn, he would still be able to use his Evil Pieces to go into Triana.

The main point is about the trading that would happen, Ise would still be Rias' pawn but all the pieces that go over to Ise through trades would have to be replaced by Rias. Ravel is a free piece but it's an entirely different story for the current members of the Gremory family.
flipax
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by flipax »

but triana power relies on the Ise's pawn pieces to go promotion "rook, knight, bishop, queen". He couldnt use triana without the pawn pieces. If Ise will become king and his peerage will go to battle in the rating games. If he can still use his pawn powers inside of him its unfair dont you think. Its like he has 16 pawn pieces (Ise=8pcs + 8 from peerage). OR after he receive the evil pieces he is already considered pawn of his own group while he is also the king.
ID not in use
Haruhiist Disciple

Post by ID not in use »

I do believe it's been stated that multiple different types of pieces in one person can't be used. So when Rias raised Ise she could only use 1 type of piece, all her pawns. Asia would only accept a bishop, etc.

I would think that when Ise is allowed his peerage, that him playing a game as the King would preclude him using the pawns he has when playing as part of Rias' peerage. I'm guessing that individual pieces are attuned to the King they serve. Such is why Ise needed Rias' approval to promote even though he was working with Sona. So if Ise is in King mode, he must remain in King mode to command his peerage, thereby preventing him from using his pawns.

Return to “High School DxD”