Campione! - Names, Terminology and Stylistic Issues

General discussion related to Campione

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

chancs
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Campione! - Terminology, Editing and Translation Issues

Post by chancs »

florza wrote:Sakura says '全然ヤなことない' in V8C5, part 2.

What exactly is ヤなこと?

Edit: nvm.
Disagreeable...used Rikaichan.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Thanks to florza for pointing it out, it looks like the author couldn't make up his mind whether to use "ocelot" or "jaguar" as the furigana for John Pluto Smith's 豹 metamorphosis.

"Jaguar" appears in Volume 6 Page 42 while "ocelot" is used in Volume 7 Page 163.

Anyway, I'm in favor of Jaguar (Kadi's original choice) because the ocelot is not very intimidating in appearance (it's more the size of a cat).

Also, from wiki:
The name ocelot comes from the Nahuatl word ōcēlōtl, which usually refers to the jaguar (Panthera onca) rather than the ocelot.

So it is likely the author was going for a name closer to the original Aztec language, but still thinking of the same animal.
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

I agreed with Jaguar, I just wanted to update the Terminology page :/
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Lately I've started actually reading our translations (WTF!) and while correct, I don't like "Dantian" for the place where magic resides (see V7C5 for examples). I suggest we change it, but I'm not quite sure into what yet. Navel, pit of the stomach, gut... Downside: We use the cultural reference Dantian = source of life energy, but it's not just a Chinese concept in the world, so I'm ready to sacrifice that for a more English translation.

Opinions? Suggestions?
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I read this as "Danlian" at first. :lol:

Was that term used in V5 too?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
zzhk
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Well, whatever translation is used has to be general enough to apply to the forehead and the chest as well, since the dantian can be distinguished into upper, middle and lower, though if unspecified, it refers to the one in the abdomen.

I've never really seen it being referenced outside of oriental concepts of life energy and circulation along meridians, which originate from traditional Chinese medicine.

Anyway, I agree it's not that easy to find a translation that fits all uses, so I commend kira and whsie on their efforts, though "pubes" and "diaphragm" are less than ideal. I don't expect any solution to be able to work without a translation note.

On a related note, what about all the other pressure points mentioned in Volume 6?
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Okay, asked Wiki about it. Dictionary gave the location of the lower and said it was related to life energy/BLAH.
Wiki wrote: Dantian [...] is loosely translated as "elixir field", "sea of qi", or simply "energy center".

[...]

In speaking of the lower of the three points, the term dantian is often used interchangeably with the Japanese word hara (腹; Chinese: fù) which means simply "belly".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dantian
The smoothest way would be calling it something like "energy center" and when it first pops up, we add a little bit saying where it generally is. People would never know the better! And we can get around the <ref>. If "energy center"(or whatever we decide on) pops up too often, we can also paraphrase it "in the abdomen" from time to time.

I'll think about the pressure points in V6 when I get to them. Since they are inherent to Lulu's Chinese techniques, we can consider keeping them.
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

Kari, lulu = Luo Hao?

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

My comrades, I have something to propose.

For 《老貴婦人》 [Old Dame] TO BE CHANGED TO [The Olden Dame]. It's the name of an organisation.

That is all.
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

lchigo93 wrote:Kari, lulu = Luo Hao?
Yes. But it looks like I'm not the only nicknamer around...
florza wrote:My comrades, I have something to propose.

For 《老貴婦人》 [Old Dame] TO BE CHANGED TO [The Olden Dame]. It's the name of an organisation.

That is all.
I can see [Old Dame] is a bit plain and honestly a bit weird (I know, it probably was my idea~~), so I don't mind if the others are OK, too.
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
zzhk
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Personally, I would have picked [Venerable Noblewoman] if I encountered it for the first time.

However, I do like Dame for being shorter and snappier.

On a similar note, let me propose [She-Wolf] instead of [Female Wolf].
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

[Female Wolf] is bad, too, yeah, but [She-Wolf] isn't really fitting. The anime gave me the idea to use Italian names. The Bronze Blue Cross crest got that "Bronzo Croce Nera" written on it, right? If we hadn't been using BBC and CBC all the time and it didn't sound not that good for those two anyway, I'd already have suggested finding and using using Italian.

If we go with Italian names, [Female Wolf] would be [Lupa] (according to google translate, anyway)
[Copper Black Cross] - [Rame Croce Nera]
[Bronze Black Cross] - [Bronzo Croce Nera]
... *lazy*
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

Should the thoughts statements be italicized or are to be kept as the same? Its difficult to differentiate between the normal statements and the thoughts. Thus when misinterpreted it changes from 1st person to 3rd person.

I mistook the statements and thus edited wrongly :wink: but was later told about this by zzhk
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Kadi wrote:[Female Wolf] is bad, too, yeah, but [She-Wolf] isn't really fitting. The anime gave me the idea to use Italian names. The Bronze Blue Cross crest got that "Bronzo Croce Nera" written on it, right? If we hadn't been using BBC and CBC all the time and it didn't sound not that good for those two anyway, I'd already have suggested finding and using using Italian.

If we go with Italian names, [Female Wolf] would be [Lupa] (according to google translate, anyway)
[Copper Black Cross] - [Rame Croce Nera]
[Bronze Black Cross] - [Bronzo Croce Nera]
... *lazy*
I think terms that are used that frequently probably should be in English, it just breaks the mental flow when you're reading and you hit stuff like that that doesn't instantly parse correctly. Lupa is relatively fine, since you've already got lupine in English which means wolf as well, but if it's just a once or twice reference you can <ref> [Lupa] and forget about it. Whereas you'd have to have at least one <ref> per volume for either of those Copper/Bronze translations, and even then since whilst bronzo is intuitively bronze, there's no obvious correlation between rame and copper so you might still need to "refresh" the readers memory if they haven't seen it for a few chapters.

Speaking of which, was there any discussion anywhere of the hime-miko/miko problem? I searched the forums and couldn't locate it. Couldn't "hime-miko" be translated into something fancier like "Exalted Priestess" or "Exalted Sorceress"? (I'm sure there's other words other then 'exalted' you could squeeze in there as well, that was just the first that came to mind.) You'd still get the elevation from the "hime" with "exalted", and again it wouldn't sound so out of place when referring to western witches.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

denormative wrote:Speaking of which, was there any discussion anywhere of the hime-miko/miko problem? I searched the forums and couldn't locate it. Couldn't "hime-miko" be translated into something fancier like "Exalted Priestess" or "Exalted Sorceress"? (I'm sure there's other words other then 'exalted' you could squeeze in there as well, that was just the first that came to mind.) You'd still get the elevation from the "hime" with "exalted", and again it wouldn't sound so out of place when referring to western witches.
Hime-Miko gives a feeling of a maiden dressed in traditional clothes. Exalted Princess does not give that. Or is it just me who gets this feeling?

I hope you are getting what I am saying. You know...that feeling :wink: ....ha ha ha :lol:

Return to “Campione”