Campione! - Names, Terminology and Stylistic Issues

General discussion related to Campione

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Post by lchigo93 »

Kira0802 wrote:
Kadi wrote:AND John Pluto Smith. Yaoi YAAAAAY!!!! :wink:
You just ruined my mood... :( :lol:
why??? is there a meaning to that???

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
Kadi
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Kadi »

1)I finished reading Vol 6 and updated the list on the wiki accordingly. Many terms still lack translations, but I'll try to find some over the course of the next days.

2) I arbitrarily made some decisions regarding the current discussion list:
Spoiler! :
Honorifics and Romanization: I added the rules I like best. Please try to keep to it or ask/complain loudly.

Godou's forms are not the [Warrior] and the [Raptor]. Warrior because hero was a mistranslation and it suits Godou better; and Raptor because along with Bird of Prey it's the purest translation while it is only 1 word, unlike Bird of Prey. I decided against Phoenix (another meaning of the Kanji) because the incarnation is unrelated to both fire and rebirth.
Nobody complained, so the "History Fabrication Committee" is now officially the "Official History Compilation Committee". Long live tyranny! Actually, the new version is closer (I used terms from the dictionary almost 1:1), and it sounds less like they trick people, which is a good thing for an organization that does exactly that.
Ena's sword will be set as "Ama no Murakumo (no Tsurugi)", not as the translated term. Same with its alternative name "Kusanagi no Tsurugi".
Erica's title will be [Diavolo Rosso] for now. Diavola Rossa isn't part of regular Italian, so it's out until someone can give good reasons why we should use it.
All the [Old Lady]'s shall become [Old Dame]'s. That was the feedback I got from the thread. Kira, who came up with Old Lady, also agreed.
Dejanstahl Voban, Salvatore Doni, Genaro Gantz and Diana Milito are set like this for now, until someone says they are wrong and gives us better alternatives. I'll make a new section in the discussion list for them so that we don't forget them.
I'll set Liliana's surname as "Kraniczar" for now. Reasoning: White/silver hair + Eastern Europe => Russia => Poland => Kraniczar. No relation to Croatia, though. (Okay, this is me doing whatever I want). Many thanks to Kira for finding Kranjčar, though. I'll add Liliana's name to the new part of the list as well, in case we find out more about her origin.
As we have discussed, Salvatore is the "King of Swords". I'll keep similar titles in style and add the title of Vol 5 as "Miko of the Sword".
The Great Knight stays the way it is, due to lack of better alternatives.
With this, the list is cleaned up.

3) Adding new terms to the discussion list:
Naming order: For the translated text, I suggest Western naming order, first name before surname. In the list on the wiki I will keep the original order while italicizing the first names. That way the names can be matched with the Kanji/Kana.

Mariya Hikari - 斬竜刀 Zanryuutou ("dragon-beheading sword"): It's a name like Murakumo's, so I suggest we translate it as it is. Also "dragon-beheading sword" is a) unnatural and b) makes it sound way larger than the dagger is basically is.

Ena - 王様 - Ou-sama - "my king": Ou=king, -sama=well-known honorific. I won't romanize it as it is because there's no reason (no name, no set term) or need to. "King" is set since it refers to a Campione. King-sama sounds like crap. While the "my" does not represent the "-sama" well, "my king" can be integrated into sentences very well.

Ena - じいちゃま: "Grampsy". Jii-chama is a combination of "Jii" (grandfather) and the honorifics -chan and -sama. The -sama is subverted so I ignored it and thought of the most annoying, cutesy way to call someone a grandfather: "Grampsy". Alternative: Romanize it as it is, "Jii-chama", but I see no reason to. Or you can come up with another annoying term for a translation.

Other - バンディエラ (BaNDiERa): Bandiera? Flag? Cape? This is the "cape" Erica and Liliana summon as "armor" for battle. Bandiera seems to be the Italian word for flag, so I'm confused... still, I suggest we just keep it as a set term, "Bandiera". "Flag" would be nonsensical and "Cape" loses nuances/style/ w/e.

Other - (大)地母神 ? (Kanji: (big-)earth-mother-god. Translation should incorporate earth, mother and a gender-distinction)
Other - 地母 ? (Kanji: earth-mother)
I've still got no idea what to do with these. Input very welcome! "God(dess) of (great) mother earth"/"mother earth" is the best I can come up with, but that will get tiring for a term that is used frequently.

Other - 権能 (kennou): Authority/Power/Function: The power a Campione steals from a god. 'Still can't decide on a translation. What did the translators use for it so far? Or was it indistinguishable in Chinese?
With this, the terms regarding the Godou-party should be mostly dealt with. Opinions! Suggestions! Do you agree with my decisions? Do you not?
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Aesthetically, as well as following its description, I think Authority works well for 権能.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
joay_b
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by joay_b »

Other - (大)地母神 ? (Kanji: (big-)earth-mother-god. Translation should incorporate earth, mother and a gender-distinction)
Other - 地母 ? (Kanji: earth-mother)
I've still got no idea what to do with these. Input very welcome! "God(dess) of (great) mother earth"/"mother earth" is the best I can come up with, but that will get tiring for a term that is used frequently.
What's stopping you from using "Gaea" or "Great Mother" or "Earth Mother" or "Magna Mater"?
まず隗より始めよ。
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Gaia is the name of a goddess. She might show up some day... and even if she doesn't it would be confusing, I think.

And GaEEEa... I don't know. "Great Gaea Goddess"? I don't think so. Also, I don't really know what GaEEEa is exactly supposed to mean, so...

Edit: Checked wikipedia: Gaia und Gaea seem to be the same. And since there are good reasons not to use it....
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

chinese translators have it easy, they just translate 権能 as 权能

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

BTW, Mother Earth sounds better than earth-mother.

And bandiera means flag, banner or ensign. A courtesy of Google Translate. :lol:
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

Kira0802 wrote:BTW, Mother Earth sounds better than earth-mother.

And bandiera means flag, banner or ensign. A courtesy of Google Translate. :lol:
But then wouldn't it sound like we were talking about the planet??? I mean we use Mother Earth all the time when referring to the planet in real life don't we?

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Anyone wants to Latinize into Mater Terra ? :lol:

Honestly, I thougght that it was Gaia at first, but seems that it's not...
Kira0802

lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

We can't really use Gaia can we, because Gaia herself is an earth goddess. And even though some goddesses are related to the earth they're still a goddes that is different from Gaia aren't they?

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Well, Venus/Aphrodite is related to fertility, but that's something else.

Actually, Gaia, for those who don't know, bore Chronos with Ouranos, and after Chronos killed his father, she had children with him, including Zeus.
Kira0802

lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

Kira0802 wrote:Well, Venus/Aphrodite is related to fertility, but that's something else.

Actually, Gaia, for those who don't know, bore Chronos with Ouranos, and after Chronos killed his father, she had children with him, including Zeus.
Spoiler! :
I thought the 5 oldest gods were the childs of Kronos and Rhea??? I think Gaia first bore the Cyclopes but Ouranos threw them into tartarus, then came the titans and Gaia persuaded Kronos into chopping his dad up with the scythe, and after the Titans defeat at the hands of the Gods, Gaia bore the Giants with the spirit of Tartarus to ceush the gods??? Wasn't that how it went???

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

lchigo93 wrote:
Spoiler! :
I thought the 5 oldest gods were the childs of Kronos and Rhea??? I think Gaia first bore the Cyclopes but Ouranos threw them into tartarus, then came the titans and Gaia persuaded Kronos into chopping his dad up with the scythe, and after the Titans defeat at the hands of the Gods, Gaia bore the Giants with the spirit of Tartarus to ceush the gods??? Wasn't that how it went???
Rhea? I don't know...I was taught in Roman mythology class (yes, I had that, and still have that class) that Kronos killed Ouranos, then had children with Gaia. Every time Gaia bore a child, he would eat it. However, Gaia betrayed him by putting a stone instead of Zeus, so Kronos ate the stone. Then, Zeus, when he gre older, defeated Kronos and cut his stomach. From Kronos' stomache there was a few gods. Zeus took the Heavens, Poseidon the Seas and Hades the underworld.
Kira0802

lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

hmm, maybe the roman one is different from the greek one??? but even if you search on wiki I'm pretty sure that the gods aren't the children of gaia.

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

lchigo93 wrote:hmm, maybe the roman one is different from the greek one??? but even if you search on wiki I'm pretty sure that the gods aren't the children of gaia.
Well, some aren't, like Athena, who was born from Zeus' head. Or the other one from Zeus' leg. :lol:
Kira0802

Return to “Campione”