Campione! - Names, Terminology and Stylistic Issues

General discussion related to Campione

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

chancs
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Campione! - Terminology, Editing and Translation Issues

Post by chancs »

Rednal wrote:On the minor confusion about V8 C2 having "COMPLETE" at the end of its name when it obviously isn't: Problem solved. If people still don't get it when there's a percent tag saying nothing's been done, then I don't think anything will, so yeah. XD On the bright side, it'll stop being an issue once it's done being translated?
Should have been like Part 1 and Part 2
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

That would be introducing numbering where there were none.

The format in the original text is for the second chapter title to be identical except with a suffix.

Anyway, the title decision should be left to the one translating (i.e. Kadi), but I'd prefer "Finale" over "Complete."
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

I know I said something on it only a short while ago, but... I don't care. It's about 'King who manifests at world's end'. He was finally mentioned in one of zzhk's translations. The terminology list still has it as 'King that appears at the end of the world', which is, frankly worse.

All context and knowledge about him considered, I suggest 'King who wakes at ages' ends'. Alternatives would be "appears at" or "heralds", but I don't like them as much. Opinions?

No opinions will be taken on changing "Devilish Woman", the title for Mayo. After some research and consideration, I'll change all occurrences to "femme fatale" in the near future. Literally, "enchantress" would be closer and "temptress" would also count as an alternative, but enchantress implies magic and temptress implies stopping short. The former is critical due to the setting, the latter implies too much teasing and cock-blocking.

Seeing V8C4 also led me to speed up my considerations on the "miko"-issue. Once V8C1 is done (weekend-ish?), I'll change it. Miko in some contexts is just too weird. I'll implement the following changes:
Miko (regular shrine maiden) -> shrine maiden
Miko (caster-type) -> priestess
Miko (western-style Priestess) -> priestess
Hime-miko -> Shrine Princess
Hime-miko apprentice -> apprentice Shrine Princess
White Miko-hime (Alice) -> White High Priestess

Opinions? Although I must say I'm rather set on all but Alice's title...
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
zzhk
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

I see what you're getting at (the king who brings ends to eras rather than ending the world), but "wake" and 'ages" really need more epic-sounding alternatives.

How about "White Sovereign Priestess" for White Miko-Hime? "High" doesn't sound aristocratic enough, and for obvious reasons, "Princess" cannot be used.
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

King of the End was fine as it is.

I'm against the change for miko and hime-miko. Differentiating terms when they are the same. Furthermore, terms that have been used for 7 volumes straight, and people will definitely not adapt quickly.

My personal feeling is that miko and hime-miko are more like names instead of terms at this point, and there's no need for localisation. Unnecessary IMO.

Well, if the change goes through, I suppose that would mark the end of me being a translator for Campione!, much sooner than I thought.
zzhk
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

There's nothing wrong with "King of the End" (well, King of Ends might be more accurate), the issue of concern is its expanded form.

I don't really care about the miko issue though, as long as it makes sense.

I see the attraction in giving the English character Alice a title that doesn't contain Japanese.
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

zzhk wrote:I see what you're getting at (the king who brings ends to eras rather than ending the world), but "wake" and 'ages" really need more epic-sounding alternatives.

How about "White Sovereign Priestess" for White Miko-Hime? "High" doesn't sound aristocratic enough, and for obvious reasons, "Princess" cannot be used.
"King at the world's end" maybe...

And wouldn't "sovereign" mean that she is the supreme leader of all the Hime-Miko throughout the world?
TJP1600
Project Translator

Post by TJP1600 »

I think what we have now for miko should be fine. As for Alice, how about "White Exalted Priestess"? Not many titles sound pleasant :/
TJP's 成语

背面之树
吸个桃仁
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

florza wrote:Well, if the change goes through, I suppose that would mark the end of me being a translator for Campione!, much sooner than I thought.
lol
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

zzhk wrote: (well, King of Ends might be more accurate)
Good point.
chancs wrote:"King at the world's end" maybe...
I started with "world", but since the world didn't end.. Also, he came multiple times. Which we may choose to ignore, but it should be considered nonetheless.
florza wrote:[...]I'm against the change for miko and hime-miko. Differentiating terms when they are the same. Furthermore, terms that have been used for 7 volumes straight, and people will definitely not adapt quickly.

My personal feeling is that miko and hime-miko are more like names instead of terms at this point, and there's no need for localisation. Unnecessary IMO.

Well, if the change goes through, I suppose that would mark the end of me being a translator for Campione!, much sooner than I thought.
While you are right for hime-miko, it's definitely not the case for miko. Seeing a Western queen of old referred to as miko causes me eye cancer. And if miko goes, hime-miko follows. If there were no feasible translations, matters might be different, but be honest: If we had started the translation only yesterday, would you still reject proposed changes?
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

Kadi wrote:While you are right for hime-miko, it's definitely not the case for miko. Seeing a Western queen of old referred to as miko causes me eye cancer. And if miko goes, hime-miko follows. If there were no feasible translations, matters might be different, but be honest: If we had started the translation only yesterday, would you still reject proposed changes?
Not immediately. Probably would raise the issue halfway through. The term has grown on me.
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

I was thinking of the situation where it wouldn't have had time to grow on you.
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

florza wrote:Not immediately. Probably would raise the issue halfway through.
zzhk
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

If I'm not mistaken, he means regardless of the initial decision on the English side, seeing the term over and over again in the kanji would change his mind eventually.

*Edit:
Speaking of wide-reaching overhauls of terminology, I'm surprised I didn't realize earlier, but what about mana for "magical power"?
Koakuma
Mikuru's Master
Location: Voile, the Magical Library inside the Scarlet Devil Mansion

Post by Koakuma »

Just throwing it out of the blue, but I'd agree that Miko is fine as is due mainly how the author didn't made the distinction clear in the first place (Even though he did made a difference between "Witch" and "Miko")

Return to “Campione”