Campione! - Names, Terminology and Stylistic Issues

General discussion related to Campione

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby lchigo93 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:04 pm

Would you mind adding Epimetheus, Prometheus and one other god that was mentioned in volume 3 to the gods list? The god that faced off with Verethragna, I know the name in Chinese but I don't know how to translate it. I think it either translates to Mikhail or Miguel or something.

Edit:
Sol Invictis
Sol Invictus is the correct way of spelling it.
Image

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
User avatar
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby Kadi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:13 pm

As you wish. Added them to the list, I only need to update the wiki page. They weren't in the list yet because I started it at... Vol 4, chapter 3, I think, and I haven't added much of the older stuff yet. Like all those towns on Sardinia...

Should we gather the translations for the spells as well? Some of them are used quite often, such as Erica's "oh lord why have you forsaken me"
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
User avatar
Kadi
Yuki Elf
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:06 am

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby lchigo93 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:19 pm

Kadi wrote:As you wish. Added them to the list, I only need to update the wiki page. They weren't in the list yet because I started it at... Vol 4, chapter 3, I think, and I haven't added much of the older stuff yet. Like all those towns on Sardinia...

Should we gather the translations for the spells as well? Some of them are used quite often, such as Erica's "oh lord why have you forsaken me"


I think we should, for the spells that are used often that is, if not it might throw readers off thinking it's a different spell if translators used different translations.

Spoiler! :
The incantation when Godou invokes Verethragna's 10 forms should also be added, for the ones that are known so far, except for the incantations that is used to invoke the [Sword]. Because that incantation is different for every God/Campione he faces.
Image

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
User avatar
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby Darklor » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:36 am

Kadi wrote:『剣の王』 King of Swords? Sword King?: Up to you. Keep in mind Vol 5 has a similar name, "剣の巫女", Sword Miko/Miko of Swords.


I would think that it could really be King of Swords, because it sounds like a Tarot card, especially if there is also a Miko of Swords.

That one Others at Places isnt that Near/Middle East or Ancient Near East (Babylonia, Mesopotamia, Ugarit, Lycia) - besides Mount Olymous which is Greek?
Last edited by Darklor on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: +
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
User avatar
Darklor
Project Editor
 
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:56 am
Location: Germany

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby lchigo93 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:32 pm

Kadi wrote:P.S.: Need help with "ザンパリー二" ZaNPaRiINi. From what I got it's a town in Italy, most likely on Sicily. If not, it might be an Italian name, but I doubt it....


Spoiler! :
I think this translates into Zamparini, that's just my guess but it is mentioned in the chinese version of volume 5 that I read that it is a Hotel of some sort on Sicily.
Image

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
User avatar
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby Kadi » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Yeah, but those locations are all over the place and it's not worth opening a category for them. Yet.

In the miko case... I could/should have mentioned that in her case it's a single sword... which turns this whole situation MEHHH again: King of Swords > Sword King, but translating the grammatically identical 剣の巫女 into Miko of Swords is misleading/wrong in context, so...
1) Do we chose the "worse" Sword King (worse because it sounds worse, not because it's not as right) and keep the structures similar, which is a nice feature?
2) Do we ignore the grammatical identity and use different grammatical structures in the translation?
3) Does someone find a 3rd route?
... Translating sucks.

That reminds me: We need to decide what to do with "miko". The usage isn't limited to the traditional Japanese shrine maidens one in red and white but refers to girls with the role to serve gods who/whose ancestors cultivated certain skills in that regard. Just like witches aren't just "female magic users"... I suggest we go with "miko" and a note explaining the usage whenever the word appears for the first time in each volume.

Ichigo: First of all, Zamparini sounds good, so I'll add it for now. The word used in conjunction with it was 館 yakata, which means mansion or small castle. The whole sentence translates into something like "Ahh, the rumored love affair in the Zamparini Mansion." or"The love affair in the Zamparini mansion that you hear rumors about." "Zamparini Mansion" can also be "the mansion in Zamparini". "Mr./Mrs. Zamparini's Mansion is unlikely since it lacked honorifics, but theoretically possible. That said, google didn't say anything about a Zamparini hotel on Sicily (or I couldn't understand it because it's Italian...)

P.S.: The "hotel"-thingie might stem from a misunderstanding on the translator's part who might have thought of the event on Sardinia in Vol 3. You know which one. Actually, when I read that for the first time, I also made a mistake and thought of the "hot night" Erica mentioned in Vol 1, but apparently they are not the same, with the hot night having been on Sicily and all.
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
User avatar
Kadi
Yuki Elf
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:06 am

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby YoakeNoHikari » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:06 pm

Just as I can translate ガラスの靴 as 'shoes of glass', and 虎の教え as 'Tiger's Teachings', in the same way, I can translate 劔の王 as 'King of Swords' and 劔の巫女 as 'Sword-Maiden,' (with a footnote.)

Don't see why you wouldn't pick 2, since we're translating, not transcribing in another language.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
User avatar
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator
 
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:39 pm
Location: この混乱の街並みの中でも、この2人は独自の世界を展開・・・

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby Darklor » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:11 pm

It is as you say that they are all over the area, but I think it still would be better to call them something different than to place them under "others" especially since the last underpoint was also called others. Maybe they could be called Ancient Places...

Kadi wrote:In the miko case... I could/should have mentioned that in her case it's a single sword... which turns this whole situation MEHHH again: King of Swords > Sword King, but translating the grammatically identical 剣の巫女 into Miko of Swords is misleading/wrong in context, so...


Wouldnt that have made her a Swordpriestess? (Or a women priest of swords?)
Last edited by Darklor on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: +
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
User avatar
Darklor
Project Editor
 
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:56 am
Location: Germany

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby Kadi » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:15 pm

YoakeNoHikari wrote:Just as I can translate ガラスの靴 as 'shoes of glass', and 虎の教え as 'Tiger's Teachings', in the same way, I can translate 劔の王 as 'King of Swords' and 劔の巫女 as 'Sword-Maiden,' (with a footnote.)

Don't see why you wouldn't pick 2, since we're translating, not transcribing in another language.

Which would be what I described as "case 2". It works, but I still strive for a better alternative. That's what editors do. Okay, maybe editors don't but I like keeping similar structures similar. It's a nice little detail and maybe someone out there notices and appreciates it. In case we ever find that "perfect" solution (perfect for my tastes, in this case)


Darklor wrote:It is as you say that they are all over the area, but I think it still would be better to call them something different than to place them under "others" especially since the last underpoint was also called others. Maybe they could be called Ancient Places...

Point taken. I'll change it to "Other locations", since they aren't necessarily ancient. There just happens to be no "modern" place among them for now. And maybe forever, I don't know. Since modern places usually have common translations in Chinese. But I won't take any chances.
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
User avatar
Kadi
Yuki Elf
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:06 am

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby YoakeNoHikari » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:19 pm

Yeah, I know it's 2, that's why I mentioned it. Also, it's not a strict parallelism, but would Miko of the Sword not suffice? It implies some sort of 剣術剣道 sort of thing, but it does solve the problem of the plural.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
User avatar
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator
 
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:39 pm
Location: この混乱の街並みの中でも、この2人は独自の世界を展開・・・

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby hobogunner » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Kadi wrote:
YoakeNoHikari wrote:Just as I can translate ガラスの靴 as 'shoes of glass', and 虎の教え as 'Tiger's Teachings', in the same way, I can translate 劔の王 as 'King of Swords' and 劔の巫女 as 'Sword-Maiden,' (with a footnote.)

Don't see why you wouldn't pick 2, since we're translating, not transcribing in another language.

Which would be what I described as "case 2". It works, but I still strive for a better alternative. That's what editors do. Okay, maybe editors don't but I like keeping similar structures similar. It's a nice little detail and maybe someone out there notices and appreciates it. In case we ever find that "perfect" solution (perfect for my tastes, in this case)


However, as Hikari described it, in English "shoes of glass" is the exact same thing as "glass shoes". While I understand it's going into a more proper place, King of Swords is interchangeable with Sword King. I really don't see a problem with using case 2, since as long as it represents the same thing, it is a viable alternative. (footnotes do add a nice touch for things like that, though.)
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
User avatar
hobogunner
Administrator
 
Posts: 8820
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Elsewhere.

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby Darklor » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:26 pm

Kadi wrote:There just happens to be no "modern" place among them for now.


Yeah, that's just what makes them into ancient places ;), since the old cities were destroyed a long time ago and only ruins are left. Btw. is the place between the two rivers still called Mesopotamia?

YoakeNoHikari wrote:would Miko of the Sword not suffice?


I dont think so because Miko (巫女?, literally "shaman woman" quoting en.wiki) is a special Japanes name for (a special form of) a Shrine maiden.
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
User avatar
Darklor
Project Editor
 
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:56 am
Location: Germany

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby YoakeNoHikari » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:35 pm

Why wouldn't it work because of that?
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
User avatar
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator
 
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:39 pm
Location: この混乱の街並みの中でも、この2人は独自の世界を展開・・・

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby hobogunner » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:40 pm

Well, I'd just rely on footnotes for this one, get as close as you can to it with a few words (to not confuse readers) then leave a footnote. Miko of the sword would work, with a footnote. OR simply "Shrine Maiden of the sword". The list of synonyms for it go on and on, I wouldn't stretch it further than priestess though.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
User avatar
hobogunner
Administrator
 
Posts: 8820
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Elsewhere.

Re: Campione! - Names and Terminology

Postby Darklor » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:51 pm

YoakeNoHikari wrote:Why wouldn't it work because of that?


Because as I understand that, this Miko isnt really a Miko - she isnt a Shrine maiden of a Shinto shrine or is she?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
User avatar
Darklor
Project Editor
 
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:56 am
Location: Germany

PreviousNext

Return to Campione

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest