Meiyaku no Leviathan (The Leviathan of the Covenant)

General discussion related to Campione

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Would you want to see this get translated

I want to translate this
3%
Yes
93%
Maybe
3%
No
1%

Total votes: 95

Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Meiyaku No Rivaiasan (The Leviathan of the Covenant)

Post by Hiyono »

trainee35 wrote:Judging by the results of the previous poll, wouldn't it be better to just order the choices as

1. Maybe
2. I want to translate this
3. Yes
4. No

since there are people who just blindly chose the top vote?
It doesn't actually matter. These polls have always been a mere formality; their results don't change anything one way or another.
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
krytyk
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by krytyk »

It seems like the topmost choice was deleted (I want the campione guy to translate this) was deleted.
- JAP to ENG translator for AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon"; ELYSION virtual region; Omae wo Onii-chan ni Shite Yarouka!?; Only Sense Online -
- Retired Manga Redrawer/Typesetter. @Manga-Heaven; @Kono-Basho; @wangan-scans; &anonymous releases.
Iamdatpanda
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Iamdatpanda »

This looks to be a very interesting story. I saw this originally as a manga but I actually didnt realize that it was based off a light novel. Depending on the devlopment of the story I believe that this could come close to the level of Campione (Campione is one of my top 5). But with all the other projects that might start and the ones translators are currently working on, it may be some time before this novel finds it way into a interested translators sights
the nigga
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by the nigga »

someone please translate this series please i hear this is supposed to be like campione please someone translate this series please. this series seems like it can be great :mrgreen: someone please do this series it needs to be translated please.
Nex
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Nex »

I maybe interested in translating this (at least the first chapter)
However, where do I post the translation?

Here?
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Nex wrote:I maybe interested in translating this (at least the first chapter)
However, where do I post the translation?

Here?
Here is a good place to start, particularly if it's just one part or chapter. Also, if it's more than just a little bit, it'd be good to put in a spoiler tag so it doesn't make the post/page too long.

You could also create a teaser page on the wiki after you have some translated, but that's more effort than just posting here, and you can always create a page later if you continue the translation.
Nex
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Nex »

The translation of first part.
It is still unchecked, so please inform me of any errors. :D :D

Journey to the Hometown where the Dragon is (Part 1)
Spoiler! :
It all began two months ago.

The time then was February.

Winter — that is probably something only people living in the North pole can talk about. For Hal, who is in a ocean town in Australia, the weather was undoubtedly summer. Looking up in the sky, one could see the deep blue sky and the ever so eye-catching clouds glimmering in the sunlight.

Even if the whether is blistering hot, it only add to the feeling of liberation that only summer can provide

Plus, there is also the sea. The transparent clear blue sea of Australia, together with the pristine white beach…

A town that fills one up with the flavor and taste of summer just by a laying foot on its beach. A town that, even if it is not a city, captures your heart.

A town that is peaceful, a town that is comfortable to the soul.

However, for Hal, he did not came here to enjoy the scenery. He came here for work.

—In recent years, incidents where Dragons orbiting the moon and satellite attacking cities are becoming more akin to a natural disaster than anything. Unavoidable.

As such, like a natural disaster, countries came out with a plan on how to deal with such incidences.

To be ready for such incidents, exercises preparing one for a dragon attack has become as commonplace as a fire drill.

Yet, even if this method is effective, it is not enough.

For example, this town without a military installation nearby could only rely on TPDO, Trans-Pacific Defense Organization patrols for early detection and safety. However, even TPDO has its limits. One could not rely on them for everything.

As such, there are people who want greater “insurance” against such attacks. Against the "possibility" that exist.

And Hal is the person who will be “insuring” them by selling his “information” and “knowledge”.

For Hal, when he was first assigned here by his organization, it was still winter in the Northern Hemisphere.

It was only until Summer that he, like a famous archeologist once did, traversed Australia to finish his assignment.

Rejecting assignments to relay his “information” like a archeologist give up his finds to the public, he still have not manage to figure out how his “information” relates to the creation of a magician girl from a suitable female candidate [don't understand what this mean -_-]

But none of this is Hal’s business.

It is time to rest and relax — it is time to enjoy life.

As such he when to newly opened cafe and savored a fruit cocktail in leisure, enjoying his live as it is now. That is until he received a call that threatens to destroy his “peace”.

“It is Alice…”

Hal said while touching the panel displaying the caller.

Alexandria Lamperogue.

Born in Georgia, with the nickname Alice, she is a childhood friend of Hal. For a loner like Hal, she is one of the few female acquaintance that remain in contact.

Touching the LCD screen, he enter a conversation with Alice.

“How are you Hal? How long has it been?!”

Her voice was cute as ever.

In actual fact, her appearance fits her voice quite while (meaning they are both cute as ever).

However, it was really hard to treat her as a girl, especially with an memory of her demolishing a 2kg steak even when she claims she is “have not appetite”.

No matter what it may be, Hal repiled to this beautiful childhood friend of his.

“No bad, I just finish my assignment.”

“That is great. Now, I want to discuss—“

-Bib- Hal terminated the call.

It was a instinctive reaction.

“Mind telling me why you terminated my call?”

Alice, who called again, spoke with a voice carrying a sense of doom.

“Sorry. I mistook you for a monster trampling on the paradise I am in. It was a instinctive reaction.”

“That is not a excuse. By the way, please don’t refer to a young lady as a monster.”

“Sigh..I believe I have said it once, but my dream is to safe up money, retire, and go live in a peaceful town where no one knows who I am.”

As Hal spoke, a series of dejected sighs came from over the phone.

“…that? I remember you said something about accomplishing it before you are 35.”

“Yup. After that, I will enjoy my life to the fullest, not working at all.”

“Well, I believe your dream is fatal for a 10+ young man. Deadly fatal.”

“Really? I think that for a future plan, this is actually quite dream-like. I think anyone would agree.”

“Most of them will agree, but amongst them there will definitely be young man like you.”

Was it sarcasm? No, it is an demeaning tone.

Hal, irregardless of how she felt, continue to speak.

“I don’t care about how you think, my dream is my dream. Wait…this place seems suited for my retirement. The town is quite and looks as livable. Aside from that, there is also the ocean…”

“In the end, you are still…”

“Puaa…this place is flawless for me. Alice, I just finished a assignment, so in preparation for the future, letting me take a break should be normal, right?”

“Speaking of which, it still summer holiday over there right. Anyway…”

“Stop whatever you are saying. The reason I ended the call early is because it probably has something to do with work. I would not allow anyone to intrude in my paradise."

“DON’T USE SOMETHING LIKE PARADISE AS AN EXCUSE TO SLACK OFF!”

“Nope. I just want to be lazy being, so please go find someone else to do the work."

“I refuse.”

Looks like both of them are speaking in parallels.

Breaching the deadlock, Alice spoke up.

“Tsk…someone was just going to Tokyo later for personal research…I was even planning to stay there for a while…”

“Research? To Tokyo?”

“Yup. But I do not know the layout of the city at all. Plus, there aren’t many《S·A·U·R·U·》members there to help.”

The research organization Alice and Hal belong to, 《S·A·U·R·U·》.

A organization delicate to fighting against the dragons and replicating the metaphysical, before promoting such activities to the world — this kind of shady organization.

“Right now Tokyo is just another urban city. Plus, with the kind of depressing atmosphere, it would not have any use for us to sent large numbers of 《S·A·U·R·U·》members in.”

Hal spoke it out coldly.

“Dragon Revolution” and the initial attack twenty years ago was settle with terms heavily skewered towards the dragons. As of now, humans need to rent space from dragons to live. Over the world, there are 2000 such “rental” areas for humans.

Tokyo was one of them.

Right now, the capital of Japan was no longer Tokyo. Instead, it is shifted to the central area of Japan. Tokyo was abandoned.

“But…even having a reliable partner next to me would make a huge difference. Isn’t Hal born there? I heard you have a house there so I was hoping—“

“It has been three years since I when there, not did I have any desire to go back.”

Hal quickly rejected Alice before she asked.

“Come on…help your childhood friend a little? Please?”

“Are we even friends?”

“…Heartless.”

“I don’t give a damn if you call me a devil.”

“In that case…YOU ARE A DEVIL, A MONSTER! GO DIE YOU SCUMBAG OF HUMANITY, SHAMELESS LITTLE MAN!”

“Somehow getting insulted like this by my childhood friend makes me kind of happy.”

“Are you a pervert?”

“…………ahhh…”

“At…at least bother to deny it!”

After nagging at Hal, Alice coughed seriously.

“Well Hal, let us talk about our memories. Do you still remember the time where we got lost together in the city when we are young?”

“Wait…isn’t it you who lead the way?”

“If you want to say that, it is technically your fault for losing the map. Putting it aside, I still remember the scene of us hungrily walking around.”

“At that time, I remember suggesting that you try calling for help while shedding tears to attract some kindhearted passerby (or a lolicon) for help. In the end, we actually did it…”

“Yup, even when we know that is not appropriate to do something akin to begging.”

“Not akin. We ARE beggars then.”

“There is still more. Speaking of which, I remember somebody brought a burger with all the money she gotten which she split in half for you then…”

“Wait…according to my memories, you got more than me!”

“It…it is around the same! Is there a problem?!”

“According to your response, it seems you indeed got more…”

“Please erase that memory from your head. Anyway, isn’t it good that way? After the incident, we are fettered together by ties greater than gold. With that, isn’t it your responsibility to share the joy and pain with me, helping me in times of need? Shouldn’t you help me?”

“The reason seems kinda forced…”

“Well, it doesn’t matter. Now that you have taken part in half of the food granted by me it is time you repay your debts!”

“Hmm…I remember we are in Luxembourg…”

Hal still remembers everything.

“A burger…that should be around 2 euros…”

“It is the heart that counts! Using money to measure something like that is a sign of a petty man!”

Well, that is how Hal got pulled back to Tokyo, 2 months ago.

Although Alice speaks of irrelevant things all the time, Alice Lamperougue is a still a precious friend of Hirigaya Hagarou.

Honestly speaking, he does have thoughts like “why should I have to go back to Tokyo” even now.

Even if never did he go back. Why? Because no one would be waiting for him back there in his hometown. It was a fact — one he is clear of.

But, he could not excuse himself with such reasons. His relationship with Alice goes too far, too deep for such petty reason to be of use. Shurgging his shoulders in resignation, Hal submit to fate.

His holiday ending with just 3 days, Hal made preparations to go back to Tokyo.
From Chinese Raws. Still don't get what the magician girl is talking about.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Sorry, but you're duplicating work that is already done.

Earlier in the thread, Kadi already translated 60% of the first part: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5598#p189497

Also, if you're having trouble understanding the dialogue, you should probably start with an easier series with fewer complicated terminology to build up more translating experience first.
OhHaiThar
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by OhHaiThar »

He's just finishing up the 1st part, I don't see anything wrong with that. It also really does look like he used Chinese raws if you look at the way he phrases the sentences .And I don't think it's the experience that's the problem here. Anybody fluent in English(High school/Middle school student) could easily fix this up into something easy to understand. You just need an editor, so the terminology would be dependent on the editor rather than the translator which does make things a little rougher. If we could get someone to TLC then it would a-ok. I just noticed some parts of these weren't in Kadi's, are the Chinese raws different or was this just left out?
krytyk
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by krytyk »

OhHaiThar wrote:He's just finishing up the 1st part, I don't see anything wrong with that. It also really does look like he used Chinese raws if you look at the way he phrases the sentences .And I don't think it's the experience that's the problem here. Anybody fluent in English(High school/Middle school student) could easily fix this up into something easy to understand. You just need an editor, so the terminology would be dependent on the editor rather than the translator which does make things a little rougher. If we could get someone to TLC then it would a-ok. I just noticed some parts of these weren't in Kadi's, are the Chinese raws different or was this just left out?
Terminology left to editor? On what basis? How is editor supposed to know what's the original terminology?

TLC? What's that? I can count people that actually do TLC on fingers of my one hand (on entirety of bt and most of its affiliates), 2 people maybe? And they're confined in their own projects. TLC is mostly a MYTH, there's no TLC, no translation checking fairies who will clean up all your messes. If you don't translate it yourself accurately no one will fix it.

Recently it seems like people are taking translation lightly. :/
- JAP to ENG translator for AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon"; ELYSION virtual region; Omae wo Onii-chan ni Shite Yarouka!?; Only Sense Online -
- Retired Manga Redrawer/Typesetter. @Manga-Heaven; @Kono-Basho; @wangan-scans; &anonymous releases.
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

krytyk wrote:Recently it seems like people are taking translation lightly. :/
Why would one not take a hobby lightly?
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
OhHaiThar
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by OhHaiThar »

Well I can see people are dedicated but priorities in rl come first. Still, the content would be up to the translator and managers if not the editor, the editor just does his best within the editor guidelines to provide a more smoothing text (in accordance to his/her own opinion) but the translator would have to check the editing, or we would need TLCs(VERY RARE), or even more editors to fix up and define a more complex excerpt. And basis? That's completely up to the one managing the project. Look, many editors out there are Japanese illiterate but are more experienced in English grammar, vocab, and sentence structure, which makes it more reliable within the context of the English language. I've seen a lot of bilingual people (i'm one myself) and I feel restricted to both languages in terms of having to focus on one(still restricted to the one I'm focused on) which is why editors shouldn't be burdened by knowing Japanese although it would help. Also in my own opinion, languages originally should never be translated cause they lose meaning and feeling within translation(like how you learned whatever language from your parents, didn't learn by translation)(I still enjoy the translations), making them separate languages and creating barriers which I personally think should never be crossed. But in addition to that, if we could instantly learn Japanese I wouldn't hesitate but unfortunately, I don't have the time and patience on me to learn Japanese. So I don't take translation lightly, but you're making a little too strict here. Community-based translations buddy.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Uhm, was there a reason, that this didnt became an teaser project?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
nakiami
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nakiami »

I want this LN continue translate T.T
I like this LN the story progress >.<
ace13
Astral Realm

Post by ace13 »

@zzhk
Thank you for the translation, i'm really enjoying this LN and i often check wheteher there's any update. thank you very much for the great work! :D

Return to “Campione”